Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a brand new 950M with the deluxe seat. Anxiously waiting to use it. I like to keep a spare set of blades on hand and wondering what everyone else uses. Based on suggestions from this forum and research I chose the standard 60" deck. I am mowing about 3 acres, with some trees. So the question is do I stick with the stock blades as my back up set, or go with the Gator type or high lift?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just took delivery of a brand new 950M with the deluxe seat. Anxiously waiting to use it. I like to keep a spare set of blades on hand and wondering what everyone else uses. Based on suggestions from this forum and research I chose the standard 60" deck. I am mowing about 3 acres, with some trees. So the question is do I stick with the stock blades as my back up set, or go with the Gator type or high lift?
I’ve always used Gator blades on my previous mowers, so I tried them on my ZT. I wasn’t pleased at all. It felt like I couldn’t mow nearly as fast with them. So I went back to the factory blades and can normally stay between 10-11MPH on my Z950R.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
When I had a commercial zero turn I ran nothing but the stock blades.

But now with the problematic deck on my compact tractor the Gator blades made a big improvement.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
455 Posts
That all depends on what is installed under the mower deck. Mainly, is there a "mulching kit" installed. If so, you are going to need and run mulching blades. Otherwise, you will be wasting money, time, and not getting the results running another type of blade.
There are many factors is choosing blades... such as the type of grass, and how tall you cut the grass.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
I'd mow a few times with it before you decide.
I always ran high lift blades on our Toro Z-Master, I don't need the high lift blades on the Z915B.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The most important aspect of any high end commercial mower, in my opinion, is cut quality. Sure, they are fast, but the exceptional cut quality is what allows them such a high rate of productivity. So, my theory is that the blades that come with a high end machine are going to be designed for optimal quality and performance with that machine.

The only reason to change blades would be if you are going change the job type. (i.e. dedicated mulching or high lift for bagging) In these cases, I would still get whichever blades the manufacturer offers for the specific job.

I have tried Gator blades on several mowers, and always end up going back to the oem blades.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
The most important aspect of any high end commercial mower, in my opinion, is cut quality. Sure, they are fast, but the exceptional cut quality is what allows them such a high rate of productivity. So, my theory is that the blades that come with a high end machine are going to be designed for optimal quality and performance with that machine.

The only reason to change blades would be if you are going change the job type. (i.e. dedicated mulching or high lift for bagging) In these cases, I would still get whichever blades the manufacturer offers for the specific job.

I have tried Gator blades on several mowers, and always end up going back to the oem blades.
Same here. Some say it may have something to do with the type of grass. :dunno:

·
Registered
23,318 Posts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I agree as far as a commercial zero turn - I had the best results with the OEM blades.

But this 62D belly mower I have for my 2520 did not-so-well with the OEM blades. Of course coming from a Z to this is a big difference in itself - shallower deck and less blade tip speed. The Gator blades on this deck have made it tolerable for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have three cuttings with the new 950M. My impression is the cutting quality is excellent. So much better than the 1025R I sold. Glad I made the switch. Going to pick up a second set of OEM blades, as there is no need to change anything. Am going to look in to the Z glide suspension.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Coming up on 5 years with 997 Z Trak (72" 7 Iron deck) with the original blades.

Cutting edges are still great, but starting to get abrasion erosion on the uplift wing on the backside (probably
lost 1/2 the thickness on the wing).

Will be buying an OEM set to replace them, very happy with them plus with the amount of grass I cut (10 - 12 acres), they held up
surprisingly well to me.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,152 Posts
So I have three cuttings with the new 950M. My impression is the cutting quality is excellent. So much better than the 1025R I sold. Glad I made the switch. Going to pick up a second set of OEM blades, as there is no need to change anything. Am going to look in to the Z glide suspension.
I've been using the same type OEM blades since I bought our Z915B (2014) for the same reason.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
Coming up on 5 years with 997 Z Trak (72" 7 Iron deck) with the original blades.

Cutting edges are still great, but starting to get abrasion erosion on the uplift wing on the backside (probably
lost 1/2 the thickness on the wing).

Will be buying an OEM set to replace them, very happy with them plus with the amount of grass I cut (10 - 12 acres), they held up
surprisingly well to me.
I noticed the same thing with the OEM blades in my zero turn back then. I attributed it to always cutting wet grass and the blades running on the build up under the deck.

I also never saw a need for anything other than OEM blades in that machine. But this 62D deck under my 2520 is a different story. The Gator blades made that deck tolerable.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I run either OEM High Lift or Gator G6 blades. I also picked up a John Deere labeled Gator blade but even though it is made by Oregon for JD, they are made to JD specs and not the same. If there is any blade I don't like it would be the John Deere Gator blade. I think I ordered the G6 for about the same price as the JD one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts