Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone after a few weeks the dealer has delivered my new Z994R today. I haven't done the paperwork yet, but I went out to look over the machine, I noticed there was a bit of rust on behind the drivers seat on the dust cover and on a lot of the connectors so it looks like it's been outside for awhile. Looks like it has 10 hours on it so I decided to try and look up the year from the model number and it looks like it is a 2018, ...944RGPJ.... Are there really brand new 2018s sitting on lots?

I just bought a 1025R a few months ago and it was in great shape but I'm questioning whether I should accept this one. I'm new to the tractor/ztr world so is this a big deal or something to be expected.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hi Everyone after a few weeks the dealer has delivered my new Z994R today. I haven't done the paperwork yet, but I went out to look over the machine, I noticed there was a bit of rust on behind the drivers seat on the dust cover and on a lot of the connectors so it looks like it's been outside for awhile. Looks like it has 10 hours on it so I decided to try and look up the year from the model number and it looks like it is a 2018, ...944RGPJ.... Are there really brand new 2018s sitting on lots?

I just bought a 1025R a few months ago and it was in great shape but I'm questioning whether I should accept this one. I'm new to the tractor/ztr world so is this a big deal or something to be expected.
It could definitely be new old stock (NOS), but I personally would want to know that before it got delivered to me, and I would expect a discount. I know my dealer starts knocking off dollars when they have last years mowers still on the lot, seems like they might be trying to give you one that has been demo'd many times over the past 3 years and never sold. 10 hours seems like a lot of demo time to me, especially if it's just driving it around the dealers lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has been kind of an experience, I wanted one with the new seat, and tweels, and Mulch on demand. I was told that it would be september before I could get one with mod. Then it was supposed to on the lot, but they were all "sold" so they brought one in, still no tweels so they are ordering those and I'm going to end up with a set of both wheels when they come in. But I haven't actually signed any paperwork on this yet. I wasn't expecting a 2018. I know what the price was supposed to be but I am supposed to be getting a "great deal" but haven't even seen the new numbers yet. So there is time for me to say, no thanks and come pick it up.

I'm honestly a little surprised since my 1025r was from the inside showroom and had an hour on it so it was all shiny and new. This is a lot of money to drop on a mower though and I don't have the warm fuzzy feeling I was expecting to have.

Reactions: IndianaJim

·
Premium Member
3,220 Posts
Maybe time to find another Dealer.

Reactions: wildbranch2007

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are some pictures, I'm definitely thinking about not accepting this one. This doesn't seem new to me.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That looks like a demo, it's been used, that's grass buildup on the deck that wasn't cleaned off. Pretty sloppy from your dealer to think you wouldn't even look at the bottom of the deck. Unless he's giving you a used price, you'll have to decide if the price makes it more attractive to you. You already need to ask him what warranty is left on the machine, as it has been used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we are going to discuss when he gets here. At this point it is going to have to be a heck of a deal. I see newer units within 2 states from me with less hours for 4-5 grand less than the price we were talking about. I'm pretty disappointed in all of this but not enough to over pay for a poorly cared for machine. He did say that it has not been sold before and was only supposed to have 2 hours on it but showed up with 8 and they run it for an hour when they are setting it up.

Kind of in a bind with some areas I have to mow now, but for 5 grand I can pick up a residential machine that would probably handle what I need done.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cannot believe your dealer is pawning that off as new. Perhaps that is why he dropped it off before you even did any paperwork. Unusual to say the least. That was a demo unit for sure and your dealer should have done a better job of cleaning it up.

·
Premium Member
12,659 Posts
In the last month, I was offered a brand new Z994 With the Yanmar Diesel which had a retail price of about $19,000, and it was offered to me for $14,999 and when I said no, he came back with an offer of $13,999 and then $13,500 if I would pay cash. The machine I was looking at was new in the showroom and it was a 2019 which the dealer has had in stock for now 27 months. When In was at the dealer earlier this week, it was still there.

Personally, I would treat the machine they are trying to sell you as a USED machine. It has 10 hours on it and the underside of the deck has obviously been used and not cleaned. If I were you, I wouldn't pay more than $12,000 for that machine...........

The reality is the demand for those machines is VERY low. If you can buy it with the new machine warranty and its what you want, for the $12,000 price, then I would likely proceed. If the dealer says no, its very likely going to be on their dealer lot for another long time until someone buys it................

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point we are at a crossroads. They are offering to order in the new unit with everything I asked for, so a 2021, with 60inch deck Mod, hitch, tweels etc. and let me use the one I have until then with a written up contract that they will trade in at a specified rate if under 75 hours (it will be under what ever hours it needs to be since I have the 1025r to do most of my mowing. They are going to get me the numbers tomorrow. so we will see if I have a mower or if they take it back tomorrow depending on how the figures look.

The other local dealer has a new 2020 model on the lot with zero hours so I have options.

Reactions: rtgt and raco232

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so they came back with no go on the trade in agreement, but they offered 13,800 and 1500 for a new set of tweels so I'd have two sets of tires. The other dealer has a 2020 with zero hours for 17500 on the showroom

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I agree with the others, tell'em to pound sand.
I'd be out simply because they tried to pawn off a used machine, as new. Might be considered new, due to it never being sold before, but it's clearly used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah it isn't a great deal.

With the spare tweels, hitch sunshade and tax it would be $15, 540
The 2020 without the extras but with a higher tax rate is $19,914

Or I can order from John Deere directly with MOD, sunshade and tweels for 17,939 with tax so about 20K but no idea when it will show up

·
Registered
13,536 Posts
yeah it isn't a great deal.

With the spare tweels, hitch sunshade and tax it would be $15, 540
The 2020 without the extras but with a higher tax rate is $19,914

Or I can order from John Deere directly with MOD, sunshade and tweels for 17,939 with tax so about 20K but no idea when it will show up
well u said that u can mow with ur new 1025r-right. send the old back to that dealer that tried to pawn it off onto u. when i want new i want new--i mean everytime u go and fire that pawn machine to mow-it would be in my mind that i got a 4 yr old machine and paid new price for it---yelp send it back and wait for what u want--u will have peace of the mind when u get the new one then-just my 2 cts worth-ok. good luck

·
Registered
554 Posts
Those mower deck wheels look to have about 750-900 hours on them. Or, the previous owner mowed in rocks. Offer the dealer $4,000.00

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I passed on the 2018, they are picking it up Monday. I'm going to go talk to the other dealer about the 2020 model at the other dealer.

While I wanted mod, I have a couple places I need mow that I'm not comfortable trying to do with the 1025, so i'm not sure waiting until September or longer is worth it when this one is sitting a few miles from me right now.

·
Premium Member
12,664 Posts
I passed on the 2018, they are picking it up Monday. I'm going to go talk to the other dealer about the 2020 model at the other dealer.
I agree with the others, that is a used machine. I believe you made a good call sending it back.

I hope you have better luck with the other dealer, and if you do, that is where you should be taking any of your future business.

Just out of curiosity, did you purchase your 1025R from Dealer #1?

Reactions: SRG
1 - 20 of 28 Posts