Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And it's orange! :hide: :flag_of_truce:

A week or two ago, a neighbor of mine asked if I wanted an old riding mower. Hasn't run in 4 years, sitting behind the barn, free if I want it. Since all my good lawn equipment is in TN, I'm using a 21" push mower out here. Sure, I'll take a free riding mower!

He carried it (literally) down here last night, in the loader of his JD 870. It's an old Montgomery Wards 38" cut riding mower in pretty rough shape. Flat tires, no battery, trashed seat, etc. Imagine an old riding mower that was left behind a barn for years because the owner bought a Deere rider. That's this thing.

So today, I decided to see what I could do with it. I don't need it to last forever, just until I get my equipment from TN out here, then I can pass this thing on to the next guy. As a result, I don't want to spend any more than necessary which meant I wasn't going to go buy a battery until I knew the thing was salvageable. I took a set of jumper cables and hooked the mower's battery cables to my truck for test purposes. The starter had a few issues, so I pulled it off and disassembled it. I cleaned the commutator with a stone and put it all back together, which got it turning over. Added some fuel, fiddled with it a bit, and before long it was running. :good2: Three of the four tires hold air, the 4th is going to get a dose of Slime tire sealer. The front two tires are off of a two wheeler. :laugh: This thing has been a 'budget' machine for a while. In any case, it ran and moved under it's own power. I had to pull the deck off and repair a mount for one of the pulleys, but I think that'll resolve things well enough to cut the grass.

So now there's orange in the driveway. I need to go to get a battery for it tomorrow, and I might even buy it a new spark plug. Maybe I can get Gizmo to send some green paint out here and I'll spruce it up a little. :kidw_truck_smiley:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435968391.671545.jpg

·
Registered
967 Posts
Someone should move this thread to the Other Tractor Site..... and pronto!:laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
The "Lazarus Lawn Mower Project." Brought back from the dead to live & mow again!!

·
Administrator
20,721 Posts
Now all you need is some duct tape for the seat and a beer holder. :mocking: Maybe a 6" stack too. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think this seat is beyond duct tape. It's all the way up to "put some cardboard over it" level. :lol: What stinks is I tossed out two or three fairly decent used seats before moving.

I think I tossed out a 5" exhaust stack as well. Ah well, guess I'll get by...

·
Administrator
20,721 Posts
So the beer holder is a go? :lol:

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
The paint in the last picture looks very shiny. Is it wet, or did you by chance put some polish on it?

Good work as usual, Blake.

Good luck with the green paint. He can't even get it across the Delaware, let alone the Mississippi. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Looking good

View attachment 48055

Shortly after the afternoon hail storm. Tires have air, the hood actually closes instead of sitting on the gas tank. It even drove to that spot under its own power. :good2:
You keep going and it'll find a permanent home with you. It's looking good!

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
10,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The paint in the last picture looks very shiny. Is it wet, or did you by chance put some polish on it?
You keep going and it'll find a permanent home with you. It's looking good!

Treefarmer
Thanks, but it's just wet in the last picture. If you look closely I think you can even see some hail in the seat still :laugh:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
What's wrong with the seat?? It's yellow! :lolol:

Enter that on ebay and some collector will pay big money for it as it's the last of it's kind. :munch:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Flames, it needs flames... My son would love that mower. He has a little cub now.

·
Administrator
20,721 Posts
Those little harbor freight front wheels are FUNNY! But hey... Price is right.
I'd drive it.
They make the engine look bigger. :laugh:

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts