Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 1950 Farmall Cub to free up some space in the barn. That didn't last long because this AC-B from 1942 followed me home. It will be a perfect little tractor for the summer shows.
It features high-end luxury conveniences such as a crank start and individual hand brakes. I'm still not sure how to steer and use both brakes at the same time. There are no newfangled gauges to worry about but it did come with a nifty dowel rod fuel gauge. While my large rump appreciates that wide bench seat, I've got to find a safer way to mount this old horse before I need an orthopedic surgeon. Mrs. Rod likes it because I'll be in the house before dark (no lights).

Attachments

Premium Member
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

Bonehead Club Lackey
Ok, so how do you get on that thing? Is that a step I see hanging on the left side? I like it, looks great! :bigthumb:

Dad's first 2 tractors he bought after we left the Amish was an AC WD-45 and a C. So yah, I like AC's of that era.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so how do you get on that thing? Is that a step I see hanging on the left side? I like it, looks great! :bigthumb:

Dad's first 2 tractors he bought after we left the Amish was an AC WD-45 and a C. So yah, I like AC's of that era.
Yes, the seller had installed a very handy little stirrup style footstep on the left side. However, once you step up, there's not a natural way to swing around and plop down on the seat. There are no floorboards or foot rests to step into and there are plenty of things to catch on your pant legs or shoe laces.

Registered
Looks like it just came out of the showroom....:bigthumb:

Dave

Premium Member

I am wondering the same thing? Where do you get on??? :dunno:

Is that seat factory? I am guessing not. It sure looks LOW :flag_of_truce:

First tractor I learned to drive was a WD45 with narrow front and trip bucket loader. :good2: At 14 the only way I could steer when the bucket was full of rocks was the rear wheel brakes. It made picking up rocks in the field only slightly less boring.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, that is the factory seat. Although it's spacious, there is no suspension in the seat aside from the foam.

After examining the serial number more closely, it turns out to be a 1938, from the first year of production.

Premium Member
A friend has one, AC B, but his must be newer, it has electric start and a pan seat. . His also has side weights, one each side of the engine. He says they are super rare :dunno:

Registered
I am wondering the same thing? Where do you get on??? :dunno:

First tractor I learned to drive was a WD45 with narrow front and trip bucket loader. :good2: At 14 the only way I could steer when the bucket was full of rocks was the rear wheel brakes. It made picking up rocks in the field only slightly less boring.
Ah yes. The most fun job in the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
:bigthumb: looks good. me-thinks u should look at Old Cajuns high stepping step he made for his International machine he has. only thing we don't want ya dismounting ur's the way he did once.:mocking: that's why it's very important to install that step soon:laugh:

never was around one like this-but i did run a C MODEL, along with a few WD-45's. both hand brakes, u used ur knees to steer with, while working both hand brakes coming down the hills:mocking:

the best part of picking rocks-was watching the piles at the edge of the woods grow in size-:banghead: not.:lol:

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
As it turns out, the seller of the "B" decided to part with a couple of more from his collection. Today I brought home this 1938 Unstyled WC. I also got a 1954 WD45 so I'll post photos when she comes home too.
Just like the B, the WC is loaded with advanced features like a crank start and hand brakes. I'm perfecting the art of steering with my elbows and knees when going down a slope as BigJim55 mentioned! I just love this oval gas tank and giant sweeping fenders. Driving this old girl is something special.

Attachments

Registered
:bigthumb: nice tractor--that is indeed just like our neighbor farmer had when i was a kid. he mowed, baled, and pulled a hay wagon behind the baler with it, right behind our house on a pretty steep hill. i know he had weights on it, not sure if the tires was loaded back then, but probably so.

he done it all with it. quite the tractor back then. and hey-they steer pretty straight going down a hill, as u can control that with the individual brakes, just the same as split brakes if u was using ur feet to. good find there -rod330. :bigthumb:what's ur wife saying:mocking::hornets::bash:

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
what's ur wife saying:mocking::hornets::bash:
Mrs. Rod used to ask a lot of questions....logical questions challenging the practicality of owning a bunch of old crap. Nowadays she rolls her eyes and says, "Yes dear, whatever makes you happy." It helps that she started her own business a few months ago. It's harder to keep me under her thumb when she's so absorbed with day-to-day operations. :good2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts