Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have always tightened the new blades when changing them by feel. I also had thought that the spinning direction and thread direction was self tightening after I use an open end box to tighten than tamp it a hair tighter. Never had a problem and have two nice new torque wrenches. Would appreciate any comments and direction. Would also appreciate the torque spec if necessary. My replacement mulch blades are arriving tomorro.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't the torque spec in your manual? For my 62D it shows 50 ft lbs.
I will see if I can find any info. I don’t ever remember seeing anything mower related in any of the manuals that came with the tractor. I can check the service manual again but I thought that it was tractor only.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Administrator
20,886 Posts
You should have a manual for each implement, and the tractor. So looking at your signature you should have at least 4.

2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM,

ETA: This may be it:

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I figured it was what the factory puts on just like the tire people, torque it until you need two men and a boy to get them off.. I hate that.. 50 ft lbs it is so far that I've read. I use my Dewalt battery torque wrench on low setting to get them off and put them back. if on low they will not come off go to the next setting. They spin way to easy to actually get a manual torque wrench to accurately do the job. IMO.

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
I figured it was what the factory puts on just like the tire people, torque it until you need two men and a boy to get them off.. I hate that.. 50 ft lbs it is so far that I've read. I use my Dewalt battery torque wrench on low setting to get them off and put them back. if on low they will not come off go to the next setting. They spin way to easy to actually get a manual torque wrench to accurately do the job. IMO.
Seems somewhat standard. The blades on the 48-inch deck on my X500 garden tractor have the same torque spec.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Also make sure you have the blade washers turned correctly. I forgot the official name, but they are not flat, they have a very slight cup on them, and the cupped or concave side is supposed to contact the blade. They are a type of retention washer. But you know that - just in case someone reading the thread doesn’t.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts
Seems somewhat standard. The blades on the 48-inch deck on my X500 garden tractor have the same torque spec.
Need to check carefully. The 60D is 90 ft/lbs.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
Like I stated; whatever the factory set them at is exactly what my torque wrench puts them back at! Never in my life ever broke one or had one rocket into my house either. Torques are all over the place on line,,

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
... They spin way to easy to actually get a manual torque wrench to accurately do the job. IMO.
Though I can not remember if I ever used a torque wrench on blades, I just block the blade up against the housing with a block of wood. Breaker bar to get off, 1/2" ratchet (or breaker bar with a light touch) to put them on, and they are "tight enough". Never had a problem in 40+ years.

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
I tried that once and only once, busted knuckle told me years ago don't try that again.. I'm also into get er done as easy as possible, so hence the battery torque wrench.. I think we all know how tight to put them on after years of taking them off without a torque wrench, it's all in the "feel" to me. You see the bolt stop give it one more touch and done. And again,, I never use full bore torque either on a lawn mower. I've broken many bolts doing that on heavy equipment.

·
Super Moderator
6,041 Posts
Holy cow, I wonder why the 60D is 90 ft lbs!

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,498 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,041 Posts
I wouldn't think the 60D blades are much different than the blades on my 62D2!

·
Registered
313 Posts
A three second hold on a DeWalt cordless rattle gun works for me. I like to call it 18 volt/lbs.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
My Milwaukee is a beast with 3 available settings. I tend to use the low setting on stuff like blades 70-120 foot pounds. Done.

Reactions: tj1

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
I was tightening my blade bolts by hand forever. Then when I got a torque wrench I found how badly I had been over torquing them all those years.

Reactions: tj1

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was tightening my blade bolts by hand forever. Then when I got a torque wrench I found how badly I had been over torquing them all those years.
I found that out today. heard the wrench click and I wondered if I just heard a noise so did it again. My years of hand tightening was over torque. Glad I did it with a tourque wrench.

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 20 of 27 Posts