Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up my box blade today and even though it rained this morning I couldn't wait, so I started working on a pad behind the garage, I was going to put an addition on but my wife bought a shelter logic garage in a box to store her side by side and my implements.
All I can say so far is "why did I wait so long to get one" :good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I got a new one last fall with my 2038R. Haven't used it yet. That's a nice looking outfit you have there..

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a new one last fall with my 2038R. Haven't used it yet. That's a nice looking outfit you have there..
Only an hour under my belt, lots to learn but so far I like it.

·
Registered
12,015 Posts
:bigthumb: loooks good. that is something i don't have. really have no need for it here. now all ya need to round things out is a top and tilt on that new :greentractorride::laugh:

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bigthumb: loooks good. that is something i don't have. really have no need for it here. now all ya need to round things out is a top and tilt on that new :greentractorride::laugh:
Seriously considering that, or at least the top link.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
Setting up a Hydraulic top link have no need for a tilt.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
I agree on both accounts - I have no need for one myself either. But did have one when I was installing new lawn at newly finished construction sites.

If you have a lot of use a top and tilt is almost a must. But besides adding the cost of that is also the extra remotes - gets expensive quickly!

Without one you learn quickly enough to make what passes you can at one angle - change it and do more, etc.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,790 Posts
Good for you PJR832. :thumbup1gif:
X2:bigthumb:

I've never used one but someday I'd like to try one before I die.
I've used box blades many times in the past. Once you get the hang of it, it sure make life a bit easier. I did own one in the past, but sold it as a package deal with one of my other tractors. I will need one now, for the 750.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,220 Posts
Good for you PJR832. :thumbup1gif:
I've never used one but someday I'd like to try one before I die.
Make a deal with you. Bring your new low mileage truck down here and you can have mine. All I need in return is for you to pay for my drive to have 6" of concrete poured on it. About 12' wide and 100' long. Great deal right?! You get to put some needed mileage on that new low mileage truck and have a 5' box blade. With a concrete drive I won't need it. Great deal for both of us. :good2: :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,771 Posts
Make a deal with you. Bring your new low mileage truck down here and you can have mine. All I need in return is for you to pay for my drive to have 6" of concrete poured on it. About 12' wide and 100' long. Great deal right?! You get to put some needed mileage on that new low mileage truck and have a 5' box blade. With a concrete drive I won't need it. Great deal for both of us. :good2: :laugh:
Great, I'll leave today.
:banghead:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,220 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
picked up my box blade today and even though it rained this morning I couldn't wait, so I started working on a pad behind the garage, I was going to put an addition on but my wife bought a shelter logic garage in a box to store her side by side and my implements.
All I can say so far is "why did I wait so long to get one" :good2:
+1 on that, PRJ. I picked up a very lightly used BB5048L on Wednesday, and I agree, ya gotta have one!

I spent about 4 hours working on the bank that I am trying to cut down that used to lead into a bank barn. The soil is hard packed from years of equipment driving over it, and has quite a few rocks. I was worried that the Frontier unit would be too light duty, or too light. Here is what I found:

• Although it is lighter in weight than some of the heavier duty units, the rippers had no trouble cutting in and filling the box. A heavier unit would not have provided any benefit, and would just be more weight for the SCUT to try to move with a full box.
  • It seems that where the ripper hits a rock has more to do with whether it rides over it or picks it up than does the weight of the implement.
  • A full box could stop the 1025r dead in it's tracks if I had the rippers down. Bigger for me would not have been better.
  • The thing is constructed well. I don't think that I'll wear it out or pull it apart with the series 1!
  • For the limited Cat 1, lift can be an issue if you want to be able to lift the box high enough to clear the pile after the box is filled. I was able to do this as long as I didn't lengthen the top link to much.
I had planned on getting a unit from EA, but because of the current lead time I picked up the Frontier unit so that I could get started, thinking that I could sell it and get a heavier/heavier duty unit later on if necessary. As it turned out, I am more than happy with the Frontier and will be keeping it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+1 on that, PRJ. I picked up a very lightly used BB5048L on Wednesday, and I agree, ya gotta have one!

I spent about 4 hours working on the bank that I am trying to cut down that used to lead into a bank barn. The soil is hard packed from years of equipment driving over it, and has quite a few rocks. I was worried that the Frontier unit would be too light duty, or too light. Here is what I found:

• Although it is lighter in weight than some of the heavier duty units, the rippers had no trouble cutting in and filling the box. A heavier unit would not have provided any benefit, and would just be more weight for the SCUT to try to move with a full box.
  • It seems that where the ripper hits a rock has more to do with whether it rides over it or picks it up than does the weight of the implement.
  • A full box could stop the 1025r dead in it's tracks if I had the rippers down. Bigger for me would not have been better.
  • The thing is constructed well. I don't think that I'll wear it out or pull it apart with the series 1!
  • For the limited Cat 1, lift can be an issue if you want to be able to lift the box high enough to clear the pile after the box is filled. I was able to do this as long as I didn't lengthen the top link to much.
I had planned on getting a unit from EA, but because of the current lead time I picked up the Frontier unit so that I could get started, thinking that I could sell it and get a heavier/heavier duty unit later on if necessary. As it turned out, I am more than happy with the Frontier and will be keeping it.
I agree, with all of that. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts