Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one tried one? I drove one yesterday, some of it was nice, engine was peppy though abit louder than I am used too. Drove nice, turning radius far better than the toyota, liked the size, do not really need a large truck, plenty of towing capacity (7000 lbs) for my needs...did not really like the layout or dash...too many tech ideas, and knobs were small, switches seemed very cheep. miss analog gauges.

anyways any thoughts from the group?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,758 Posts
I know the older ones were pretty good. We (company) have 2 or 3 with 4WD and 180,000 miles + on them.
As far as I know GM didn't make any last year and this year they have a 6 cylinder vs the 5. Competition for the Tacoma.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I know the older ones were pretty good. We (company) have 2 or 3 with 4WD and 180,000 miles + on them.
As far as I know GM didn't make any last year and this year they have a 6 cylinder vs the 5. Competition for the Tacoma.
I read that they will also have a Diesel engine option. Trying to find the article

Edit: Didn't find the article, but straight from Chevy's website it states "for the 2016 model year the highly anticipated 2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel will join the engine lineup"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
colorado

I have a 2008 colorado z71 crew cab and love it. I looked at the new one's not impressed no sliding back window, don't like the leather seats. Looking to buy a 2012 colorado or canyon. If you need info on the new colorado or canyon go to there web site coloradofans.com or 355nation.net. I belong to the sites. good info

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I have a 05 Colorado Z71 4x4. Its been an ok truck, but has very little ground clearance for a 4x4. I have gotten it stuck a few times. I went with the Colorado over the Tacoma because the gm was cheaper at the time. The Tacoma seems to do much better off-road.

I would not be without a sliding rear window. Mine is open most of the summer. I often stick long items through it . Without the sliding widow I'd need a ladder rack.

·
Premium Member
9,058 Posts
I have a 05 Colorado Z71 4x4. Its been an ok truck, but has very little ground clearance for a 4x4. I have gotten it stuck a few times. I went with the Colorado over the Tacoma because the gm was cheaper at the time. The Tacoma seems to do much better off-road.

I would not be without a sliding rear window. Mine is open most of the summer. I often stick long items through it . Without the sliding widow I'd need a ladder rack.
Toyota sure had some problems with their older Tacoma trucks and frame rusting through to the point where Toyota had to buy trucks from owners to settle them down. Now that was several years ago but it always made me wonder how a company so concerned about quality could miss such an important one.

I think the troublesome Tacoma's were sold about the time you selected your Chevy. I have a friend who had his truck frame "undercoated" on his Tacoma and it rotted from the inside out. The metal wasn't "treated" correctly (apparently it missed being dipped and sprayed) from the factory and it resulted in his frame breaking in two one day when he hit a pothole. The local Toyota dealer gave him the run around for quite some time until I located the info on the web about the frame problems and then he got the Regional Service Director involved. His truck has less than 40k miles on it.

The new Duramax that GM is putting in the new Canyons is going to be a big seller. A mid size truck with a diesel engine is quite appealing to many.......

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Toyota sure had some problems with their older Tacoma trucks and frame rusting through to the point where Toyota had to buy trucks from owners to settle them down. Now that was several years ago but it always made me wonder how a company so concerned about quality could miss such an important one.

I think the troublesome Tacoma's were sold about the time you selected your Chevy. I have a friend who had his truck frame "undercoated" on his Tacoma and it rotted from the inside out. The metal wasn't "treated" correctly (apparently it missed being dipped and sprayed) from the factory and it resulted in his frame breaking in two one day when he hit a pothole. The local Toyota dealer gave him the run around for quite some time until I located the info on the web about the frame problems and then he got the Regional Service Director involved. His truck has less than 40k miles on it.

The new Duramax that GM is putting in the new Canyons is going to be a big seller. A mid size truck with a diesel engine is quite appealing to many.......
My biggest issue with my Colorado is its lack of ground clearance. It gets stuck where the toys don't. The new Colorado dosnt look any better. Whats the point of a 4x4 that gets stuck in 8" of snow ? Now I do get my Dodge 2500 stuck now and then, but its because I'm pushing snow with the bumper.

I'm going to buy a new truck by spring, just not sure if I should replace the Colorado or the 2500. On my short list is the Tacoma, Colorado, F250/350 and the power wagon.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,758 Posts
My biggest issue with my Colorado is its lack of ground clearance. It gets stuck where the toys don't. The new Colorado dosnt look any better. Whats the point of a 4x4 that gets stuck in 8" of snow ? Now I do get my Dodge 2500 stuck now and then, but its because I'm pushing snow with the bumper.

I'm going to buy a new truck by spring, just not sure if I should replace the Colorado or the 2500. On my short list is the Tacoma, Colorado, F250/350 and the power wagon.
Sort of in the market also, short list here is F150 or a Tacoma. Toyota dealer said he will give me a Tacoma to drive around for a week while my Tundra is getting the frame replaced. Big issue I have with the Tacoma is the seat is far too low and it was the first thing I noticed when I test drove one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
my garage is little small 24x24 if it was bigger i would look at the new ford with the aluminum frame but that is out of the question. our gas TAX in MI will double by 2018 to .42cents a gallon reg now is 2.89 diesel is 3.98 so no diesel truck. don't know what future holds for me in my next purchase.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gizmo I agree with tacoma seat height, just too low. I am looking for something smaller than the tundra, but still has to tow boat...wonder what the specs on the gm diesel will be....but say diesel and add $$ to the price. Just like adding the word marine to boat parts :flag_of_truce:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,758 Posts
fdmars, Our 06 Tundra is/was the perfect size for us. I have no desire to own the new size Tundra. If the Tacoma does not pan out there will be a new F150 sittin in the driveway.
I have my doubts about the Tacoma and it is pretty small for what we need.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Sort of in the market also, short list here is F150 or a Tacoma. Toyota dealer said he will give me a Tacoma to drive around for a week while my Tundra is getting the frame replaced. Big issue I have with the Tacoma is the seat is far too low and it was the first thing I noticed when I test drove one.
My dad has a 14 f150 with the EB, 6 speed auto. He really likes it. We took it to AK it got 15mpg on the 9,000 mile trip. Not bad as it was loaded down with a camper. He had to order it out to get the max load package to handle the camper. Most 150's don't have the max load / tow package. I think he would be better off with a 250, but it did fine on the trip.
20140731_110754.jpg
20140801_144913.jpg

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Aha! I knew it. New truck and new tractor on the way.:laugh:

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Big issue I have with the Tacoma is the seat is far too low ...
Yes, this is the biggest negative of my 2006 Tacoma. Doesn't bother me so much, but my wife can barely see over the steering wheel.

Not sure what I would buy now if they offered a decent buyout on the rusty frame issue (I have appointment next week). The frame is very rusty, scaling off in big chunks on the driver's side, but not so bad on the passenger side. I'm not sure what they will do. I only have 55,000 miles on it. Bought it new in January 2006.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,758 Posts
Yes, this is the biggest negative of my 2006 Tacoma. Doesn't bother me so much, but my wife can barely see over the steering wheel.

Not sure what I would buy now if they offered a decent buyout on the rusty frame issue (I have appointment next week). The frame is very rusty, scaling off in big chunks on the driver's side, but not so bad on the passenger side. I'm not sure what they will do. I only have 55,000 miles on it. Bought it new in January 2006.
Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a Tacoma and love it. I go along with the seat being low. I have Michelins tires on it and it one of the best riding trucks I have ever owned. It came with Toyota care for 2 years or 24,000 miles my only cost to operate it was gas and insurance. I tow a 16 foot trailer with a 2305 yes, the Tacoma knows it is towing but I run down the highway at 70-75.

Doug

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts