Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,
I used to ride around on a JD 60 and 420 with my grandfather when I was a young boy. I have great memories of those machines. He had a '53 60, a 40-something 'A', and a 58 420 that was his only new tractor purchase and pride and joy.
He passed away back in 2014 and his 420 went outside the family, I just wasn't in a position to buy it. Hell, I'd buy it today if I could find it.

Fast forward a few years, now I'm sitting on a couple acres with some play room, and I'd like to get a hold of a Johnny popper to park inside my small barn next to my Kubota L2501.

I've always had a fondness for big trucks, big tractors, etc, and I've keyed on the 70 and 720 diesel as two I'm very interested in. They're poppers, diesel, have a gas starting engine, and aren't too big to have around.

I bid on two online auctions so far and the going price seems to be 4-5k. I could have won the 720 auction but the seller didn't know if the pony motor ran and couldn't check.

There seems to be two questions here I'm hoping for advice on:
1. Is there any reason why I shouldn't be looking at a diesel to start with (already own a Kubota diesel, and a GMC truck diesel).
2. Does anyone know of, or have one that I should look at? I'm only interested in the tricycle models.

Thanks much in advance, glad to take in and share knowledge along this journey.

(Pic is just like his tractor)

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have a friend that has a gem of a 420. Like everything else he has it's not for sale. I'm still amazed I got the 2 Farmall 140s out of him. I guess having something he wants is the difference.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where are you located and would you be interested in a field trip?

My neighbor has torn down and well on his way of reassembling a 720 diesel. Reason he got it, he liked the way it sounds!
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green Agricultural machinery
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Green Automotive tire
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Industry Engineering
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Green Agricultural machinery
Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Industry Engineering

well, I pretty much messed that up!

·
Registered
2020 Ford F-350 Tremor sport.
111 Posts
You may want to look into a 730d as most, but not all were electric start. 24v and no pony motor to keep running.

The diesels were hard on the flywheels and second gear( lots of power and plowed in that gear over first) .

I sold my 730 to a buddy of mine to finance the purchase of my 3020 turbo with powershift. Low hours, 3600. Both are great tractors, just depends on two cylinders or multi!

Good luck with your hunt, their out there!

·
Registered
55JD50 57JD420C 57JD420U 55JD40W 66JD110 73JD140H3 2006JDGX335 44JDBO 45JDBR 85JD750
399 Posts
WDF,
I had a very similar story with my grandfather. He owned a 55 JD 50 and a 55 JD 40W. I own both tractors now. I've owned the 50 since his death in 1976 and last year I was able to purchase the 40 from my cousin. I'm really happy to have both of them in my barn.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have truck/trailer, will travel. I'm located in Florida but have been looking at tractors in OK and IL.
Bootheal - That one looks pretty nice, might be a little out of budget. Looks like a later electric start one. Are you in the bootheel (MO)?
Thanks for the stories guys, keep them (and leads) coming. I look forward to being able to own my own "popper".

·
Registered
241 Posts
We have a restored 1958 420 we might sell. Also on the diesels.. I had a 70d 2 years ago and it had the pony motor on it, what i would watch for the pony motor,clutch and gears and make sure they are good. the 70 d i had sure would pull!

·
Registered
93 Posts
wdf, grew up deep in the bootheel of Missouri. Arkansas line was closer than the county seat. Dad was a sharecropper and somehow gave mom something to put on the table every day. From what I remember, we were outside almost all the time. Not sure mom got far from the kitchen. Seems like she was cooking all the time.

Have not migrated very far. 100 miles north and so grateful for where we are. For some reason we are very blessed. No one said it would be easy and it could all be gone tomorrow, but for the most part, it’s been a good ride!

Good luck on your search. I did visit a guy in Dexter last year. He had two barns FULL of old tractors and a few other items. He’s really independent but if I can find his number I will try to pm you...if I can figure that out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grandpa's farm was just north of Fagus, and still have relatives in Kennett. Last I heard the 60 was at a farm in Punkin Center, the combine in Glennonville, and the 420 in Gordonville. If you find that number in Dexter sure let me know, I'll be up there in July and can pop around looking for a tractor. That's a special part of the country.

I spoke with a guy today who has a clean 720D, he said the head gaskets are blown on the pony motor. Trying to learn about if this is a worthwhile project, or just keep looking for one that doesn't need major work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Wood Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread I’m not familiar with older jd tractors. We had an 8N and the rest were IH. I will ask about the pony motor but I think it can be deleted. It sounds like a PIA all the way around.

Familiar with all of the places you mentioned. Have two brothers who live near Friendship. Ran with a few boys from Campbell and made the Glennonville picnic a few times. I’m probably five miles from Gordonville.

I’ll do some checking around and see what comes up! Today, pouring concrete under and around an old low water crossing. Floodwaters have eaten under a few times and short of replacing, I just keep patching.

pics are from Dexter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
WDF - I don’t have the PM figured out so this will have to do. The farmer with the barns full of tractors is Randy Niehaus. Just East of Dexter on 114. Take County road 725 south mile or so where 724 intersects.
Ecoregion Map Land lot Urban design Font

I also stopped in Punkin Center on my way back from Friendship. Talked with an elderly woman. She gave me this name (Richard Tice). I went to his house but didn’t raise anyone. She said he was an equipment buyer but must be small time. Was thinking he might know who could have your grandfather’s tractor.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

Did verify the address. Was hoping to get you a cell number.
Good luck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This 50 is sitting along 25 in Advance at Bess Equipment. He’s asking 2500 but would surely take less. No 3 pt hitch. Clutch looks messed up. Sheet metal is in fair shape. Didn’t spend any time looking.
Cloud Sky Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Product Font Material property Screenshot Clock

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks a lot Bootheal. The name Richard Tice does sound familiar, I think that may be the person who bought my grandfathers' 60.
I am planning to get up there in August so I'll definitely be on the lookout, happy to buy you lunch for the help you've provided.

You might be warm with your search because you let me down the rathole of calling a "Jim Hamlin" who might be the person who bought the 420 from my grandfather. Awaiting a call back now, assuming I left a message for the correct person.

I did speak with a farmer in Indiana about a 720d he has for sale - it's the right price, but the pony motor is not running and needs a rebuild. I don't have the capacity to dig into something like that right now so I'll pass.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You buying lunch is not necessary. Glad I could help in a small way. If you are around the Cape / Jackson area, for a couple of free hours, we could certainly catch up with you. I hate to promise folks much because it doesn’t take much to distract me and I easily forget appointments.

Will be back down in the Punkin Center area next week if there’s more I can check on.
Good hunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found this 60 today on the side of the road.
Tin is in decent shape.
Paint is from a rattle can and looks it.
Tires are very likely original and dry rotted. Missing some sidewall.
Choke lever is missing and handle is also gone.
Runs good and drives good.

What would it be worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Found this 60 today on the side of the road.
Tin is in decent shape.
Paint is from a rattle can and looks it.
Tires are very likely original and dry rotted. Missing some sidewall.
Choke lever is missing and handle is also gone.
Runs good and drives good.

What would it be worth?

I would say $2000-$3000 since it needs tires.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Further, regarding the 60:
  • The gauges are unable to be read, due to sun damage or paint overspray.
  • It has a new seat, and a fair amount of rattle can overspray on key components (such as spark plugs)
  • The existing 60 decal on the front is visible through the spray paint and can be seen just in front of the new decals that were "$200"
The asking price was $4000, then went down to $3800, and then back up to $4000 in a period of about 15 minutes.

I'd probably give $2500 for it but no more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bootheal,

I was up in Dexter a couple weeks ago. Stopped in at Dexter BBQ for lunch, spent some cash at Orscheln, and drove through town south on HWY 25 and looked for that CR 114....finally used GPS and discovered I had passed it!
Not a good situation pulling a 30' travel trailer, made it down to Bernie before I could find a place to turn around, and then I just decided to keep heading south and stop by there next time.
The 60 tractor I mentioned earlier was in north eastern Alabama, near Huntsville. Nice guy, but too expensive for me given it's condition.
He had two 'A's up in his shed, those were better priced but needed more work than I have time.
There was also a propane 60 which looked like a very nice tractor, and a good price, but I don't want to deal with that.

I did get a chance to check out the old farm in Qulin and visit some relatives near Frisbee.
Hope you are well and maybe will catch you the next time I get up there - which I hope is very soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts