Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks back I started prep work for a new concrete pad in the cattle feed lot. It will include removal of a broken sagging corner of the existing slab. We are doing this to make winter feedlot cleanup easier and quicker. These pics show the prep work.

Soil Land lot Grass Rural area Plant Soil Soil Grass Land lot House Asphalt Transport Soil Road Land lot Soil Road Asphalt Infrastructure Thoroughfare Soil Fence Land lot Landscape Gate Road Land lot Thoroughfare Asphalt Soil

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We poured concrete at 7:00 this morning. The weather cooperated with temps in the lower to mid 60's and only a few drops of rain. The 2 small pads are for our pinch chute to rest on. It use to sit on railroad ties dug into the ground, but they finally rotted away.

Road Transport Asphalt Land lot Infrastructure Property Wall Land lot Water Floor Soil Swing Grass Tree Land lot Road Asphalt Road surface Thoroughfare Infrastructure Asphalt Road Soil Road surface Land lot

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,300 Posts
(y) (y)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work and great use of the high lift jack!
I tried prying up the old slab using our 3-point backhoe, but only succeeded in blowing a seal on the bucket cylinder. It didn't have power to break out the old concrete yet the farm jack did it with a little effort.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The new pad is looking good and the 1" slope is shedding the water nicely. We were told to give it 7-10 days before turning the cows loose on it or driving the tractors across it. Tomorrow or Monday we should be good to go.

Asphalt Road Transport Vehicle Road surface Road Asphalt Road surface Infrastructure Thoroughfare

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The new pad is looking good and the 1" slope is shedding the water nicely. We were told to give it 7-10 days before turning the cows loose on it or driving the tractors across it. Tomorrow or Monday we should be good to go.

View attachment 755363 View attachment 755364
Nice work. I've tried to lift concrete with a loader and it was no go. The jack was a great idea- need to remember that for the future.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We started driving on the new concrete pad and the cows started the "Seasoning Process". I hope they aren't commenting on the quality of my work :). Now we can start hauling the compost/manure and get new bedding on the mound in prep for the winter season.

Property Land lot Transport Road Soil Soil Land lot Road Rural area Photography Soil Property Land lot Rural area Vehicle Soil Land lot Geological phenomenon Rural area Grass

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We are starting to feed the cows some hay at the barn now. With the manure starting to drop you can see where the extension of the concrete will really help out. This should keep most of it on the pad, where the majority collects, rather than spreading into the gravel.

Soil Sky Grass Tree Rural area

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Now that the cows are on it, this information is a little late but for future reference you might want to seal new jobs. Purdue and the Indiana Soybean Assoc. came up with a soy based sealant: Sustain Krete Soy-Based Concrete Sealer | Industrial Products

There are certainly other sealants but this one is plant based, pretty much non-toxic etc.

Treefarmer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts