Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally purchased my first riding lawn mower. I went with the D-130. Arrived today with the bagger installed. They did not install the blades that came with the bagger so I did. I filled her up and off she went for the next hour it cut through my long grass like nothing was there. I had one last spot to do and needed to move a folding table that was in the way. I backed up a little and then dis-engaged the mower deck and hopped off. Yup, it shut off as soon as my butt left the seat. I have not been able to start it since. Fuel is good, Lights light up bright. What did I did I do wrong? I am so frustrated!

·
Premium Member
11,372 Posts
You are saying it will not crank. Let's start with the troubleshooting steps in the operator's manual. Double check the items in BOLD.

Engine Will Not StartBrake pedal not depressed.
Mower is engaged.
Spark plug wire is loose or disconnected.
Improper fuel.
Transmission is in reverse.
Plugged fuel filter.
Defective safety switch.
Electrical problem - See Electrical Troubleshooting Section

Ensure that the mower is disengaged, transmission is in neutral (center slot) and that the parking brake is engaged or the brake pedal is fully pushed down.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I agree with jgayman, there is a step in the starting process that you are unknowingly missing.

Leave it be for an hour or overnight. Go back to it fresh, start following the instructions step by step and it should fire up for you.

If not it's still under warranty, call JD and have them come and fix it or show you how to start it correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I did go through that list as i had the manual at hand since it was new today. I did back it up about 2' before I got up from the seat which is when it shut down. i pressed the forward and reverse pedals and when I release it, it springs to the middle.

BTW, thank you for the quick reply :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Cycle all the switches. Deck and park brake. Try again. If a no start there are several common issues with these mowers. I would contact the dealer at that point.
However I will list them..
PTO safety switch falls out of position or the lever arm is not making proper contact with switch. Switch must be depressed to start. Its located under the dash, to the left of the steering wheel shaft.
Next.. Park brake switch has fallen out of place or has come unplugged. Parking brake switch is located on the brake pedal arm on left side low on frame below battery.
Next.. Transmission reverse switch unplugged. Located on right side of transmission near where the pedal linkage connects.
Next.. Bad ground on negative battery cable where it is screwed into frame. At that connection is another smaller single wire piggy backed with the battery ground. If this connection is yacked up, everything will work but wont start because the starter solenoid has no ground.
There are a few other things but these are the main ones I see.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you everyone for your help.

I tracked the problem down. It was the switch under the hood that the engagement lever works with. It had popped out of the rectangle hole that it snaps into.

Snapped it back in and bingo it started right up.
It may have been a nuisance, but you learned more about your mower than reading 2 hours worth of posts. Nothing takes the place of experience, regardless of whether it's welcome or not.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
:congrats: and .... :wgtt: and as someone else said "How 'bout some pics ?":munch:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts