Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i just purchased my first John Deere. I bought the D100 from my local Lowes. When I got it home, i noticed a bad vibration when the blades were engaged. I looked and noticed the belt was very loose, so I adjusted the tensioner all the way tight, but it is still fairly loose. Any ideas on what I can do? I called the TriGreen that assembled it but the service dept was closed. Thanks.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

There's no belt routing schematic available on JDParts. But hopefully this parts diagram will help you.:thumbup1gif:

Auto part Line art Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior

Item #6 GX20072 Can you see the part number on the belt?

Can you post any pictures of you tensioner and/or deck and belt?

BTW, most box stores and John Deere dealers do not work with or for each other. They are totally independent of each other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Light Yellow Photography Machine
There's no belt routing schematic available on JDParts. But hopefully this parts diagram will help you.:thumbup1gif:

View attachment 10580

Item #6 GX20072 Can you see the part number on the belt?

Can you post any pictures of you tensioner and/or deck and belt?

BTW, most box stores and John Deere dealers do not work with or for each other. They are totally independent of each other.

Here is a picture of the tensioner. I will have to take the deck off to see the belt, it is tucked under. I understand about the box stores/John Deere not working with each other. Mine has a sticker on the back bumper that says it was assembled and passed a 15 point inspection by the TriGreen in Mt. Juliet,TN.

·
Administrator
22,591 Posts
Now would be a great time to start building a relationship with Tri-Green, your dealer. With the sticker, you have a perfect reason to bring it by and have them fix it. I'll bet they fix you up on the spot. :thumbup1gif:

I say forget Lowes unless you want to return or exchange it. Your dealer is much better equipped for this.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Premium Member
10,207 Posts
Now would be a great time to start building a relationship with Tri-Green, your dealer. With the sticker, you have a perfect reason to bring it by and have them fix it. I'll bet they fix you up on the spot. :thumbup1gif:
I will say, if you want to have that mower repaired he's exactly right. Lowes can't fix it. TriGreen can, and I know a couple of us have been very happy with them. I usually deal with their Hendersonville shop, but they've treated me well. I'm sure Mt. Juliet would be the same way.

Oh, and :wgtt::hi:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Check to make sure the idler pulley bracket is not broken. Mine exhibited the same behavior and all looked well until I went to tighten the idler pulley tension and then I noticed the bracket was in the process of breaking at the bend. As I took it off, it broke in my hand.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Deere mowers are shipped assembled to the BBS's just like the dealer ones. A dealer guy goes to the BBS and gets if off the crate, runs and tests it, sets tire pressure and checks deck level. No fuel is put in the tanks. Its run on a remote tank. So here in lies a problem. Mower is sold off of floor, one needs to come from the back. Instead of rolling it, they shove a pallet jack under the deck and lift it up. I have seen many decks bent beyond repair. Take it to yur dealer now!
The loose belt by the way is normal. Vibration is not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the belt and it is the correct GX20072. I called TriGreene and they said to bring it in and they would check it out. The vibration occurs every time the belt makes a revolution, like a pulse, not a continuous vibration. I won't be able to take it to the TriGreen for another week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i never got a chance to take it to TriGreen, but i did take the deck off and found the problem. The pivoting pulley that engages the belt has a little wiggle room on the arm. There is a spacer that looks to be designed that way, and when the belt spins, it rattles the pulley arm. I was at Lowes and looked at a couple of others and they did the same thing. I might swap the mower out for a different one. I don't like the idea of all that unnecessary vibration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mower vibration

Well, i never got a chance to take it to TriGreen, but i did take the deck off and found the problem. The pivoting pulley that engages the belt has a little wiggle room on the arm. There is a spacer that looks to be designed that way, and when the belt spins, it rattles the pulley arm. I was at Lowes and looked at a couple of others and they did the same thing. I might swap the mower out for a different one. I don't like the idea of all that unnecessary vibration.
My 77 year old parents bought a LA105 from Lowes for $1700 about 4 years ago. The deck had a terrible vibration so they had the local John Deere dealer fix it, three times. According to the invoices, they replaced the belt and blades, then the sheaves and idler pulley, then leveled the deck. It still had a vibration, but my dad got sick, then died, and it has sat in their basement with less than 50 hours on it for the past 2 years. We tried to sell it but with the terrible vibration, the best offer was $200.

So, I have been trying to figure out the problem all summer. We checked the level of the deck and the sheaves, and made adjustments till it was perfect, but it still vibrates. We replaced the spindles and blades with authentic John Deere parts, and it still has the terrible vibration. The idler sheave bracket that you talked about rattles and causes the belt to flop up and down. The bolt is tight, and the arm is not bent or broken; it looks brand new. I also looked at the new mowers at Lowes and noticed they had a lot of wiggle also.

It is too late for us to take this mower back to Lowes. Is there anything we can do to correct this?

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I agree with '56 on this; the chances of Doh's (Lowe's) taking this back are anorexic at best. Regardless of brand, all of these Big Box Mart grade of lawn tractors are essentially throw away crap.

I'm fed up with my Deere L(emon)-130 that I'm working on a replacement at the opposite end of the model line scale. The details need to be worked out.

This is a brief list of what I've encountered with my newly bought 2005 Kohler powered L-130.

Three deck belts.

Failed idler pulley bracket.

Electric PTO clutch and switch puked at 56-hours.

Piss poor fuel economy.

A pain in the ass to purge the fuel line after a fuel filter change.

A buddy has a B & S powered Deere and he always has to prime the carburetor to get it to start.

I could go on and on; but I won't.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, i just purchased my first John Deere. I bought the D100 from my local Lowes. When I got it home, i noticed a bad vibration when the blades were engaged. I looked and noticed the belt was very loose, so I adjusted the tensioner all the way tight, but it is still fairly loose. Any ideas on what I can do? I called the TriGreen that assembled it but the service dept was closed. Thanks.
Mine is welded did you get it fixed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.