Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a new 3039R tractor w cab that I ordered about 2 months ago from GreenMark Equipment is Sparta, MI. After the euphoria of it finally showing up, I looked at it a lot closer and the loader (factory installed) and box scraper had numerous chips and scratches(call it about 60 total). I can tell that some of these were inflicted by the dealer themselves. The GM of the place came out and said you have no argument from me, this is unacceptable.

I said I want a brand new loader and scraper and they returned the tractor 2 days later (way too soon for the amount of work) with the same parts all patched up. I can tell there was zero surface prep...... he said they have 2 brand new parts but they are chipped up too. He said the loader was factory installed and should be kept with the tractor which I think is pretty lame considering how pieces and parts get sold or traded as needs change.

Am I unreasonable in wanting a $40k tractor to come through with parts that that aren't all chipped up? These chips are in places that should never be chipped ( no ground contact) for a long time. This weekend I either tell them to take it back and I change brands as the nearest other JD dealer is too far away.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Think you are correct, would not accept a car that way.....perhaps you can meet in middle, whopping deal on attachment, or free 100 service?
They should make amends

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
While I would expect the paint on the cab, fenders and hood to be in good condition, getting a loader and bucket chip-free is nearly impossible. Normally the dealer touches up the big scratches and chips on the loader itself but the bucket has to be pretty bad to warrant any painting.

Implements are the same way. The last Frontier rear blade I bought was in horrible condition despite being unassembled and still on the factory pallet. The dealer gave me a can of spray paint and a bottle of touch up paint.

As the previous poster suggested, ask for some kind of concession. If you wait for a pristine paint job you'll be in for a long wait.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
My similar price new pickup has a minor ding in the paint,, less than one inch long.
It probably happened at the dealer,,

anyways, I asked my body shop friend for a quote, the repair would cost $1,200.

When I sat down to discuss the final price of the truck, I mentioned the ding.
I asked that they fix it, or offer a $1,200 discount,,
they hemmed, and hawed a LOT, then finally gave me the full amount as a discount,,,

I was amazed, and happy, the ding is something that happens to a truck,,,

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Don’t think your unreasonable at all. The amount of money spent it is more than reasonable to expect it in NEW shape when you get it. Now I get that there might be a small chip or two from installation of accessories and hauling for delivery but it sounds like a lot more than a few. I would stand my ground and have them make it right.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Being let down and disappointed in something you have waited for so long with excitement flat out sucks! I don't think it matters if you are spending 20k or 40k, new is supposed to be new. Do you have pictures of how the equipment arrived to you? I think a lot of members could offer a more solid reply for you if they could see what your describing.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just received a new 3039R tractor w cab that I ordered about 2 months ago from GreenMark Equipment in Sparta, MI. After the euphoria of it finally showing up, I looked at it a lot closer and the loader (factory installed) and box scraper had numerous chips and scratches(call it about 60 total). I can tell that some of these were inflicted by the dealer themselves. The GM of the place came out and said you have no argument from me, this is unacceptable.

I said I want a brand new loader and scraper and they returned the tractor 2 days later (way too soon for the amount of work) with the same parts all patched up. I can tell there was zero surface prep...... he said they have 2 brand new parts but they are chipped up too. He said the loader was factory installed and should be kept with the tractor which I think is pretty lame considering how pieces and parts get sold or traded as needs change.

Am I unreasonable in wanting a $40k tractor to come through with parts that that aren't all chipped up? These chips are in places that should never be chipped ( no ground contact) for a long time. The dash was all gouged and they did replace this but did only a fair job. If I keep her, I will take this off and do it right. This weekend I either tell them to take it back and I change brands as the nearest other JD dealer is too far away, or I lower my standards.

I only buy the best of everything and I thought I was buying the best; but so far I am very unimpressed with this dealer. Hopefully they are not a true representation of the brand itself.

I could have bought New Holland, MF, Mahindra, Case all closer to me.
First, sorry to hear about your experience. I had the hood replaced on my new tractor due to paint coming off in chunks a week after purchase. Heritage Tractor (my JD dealer) came out and replaced it. That said, tractors are not cars. I grew up around tractors. Chips, even with a little rust around them are common on new farm equipment. The assumption is that people, other than the owner, will not be admiring them. Tractors are designed to be put to work in harsh, dirty environments.

When shipped, chains are used to secure the tractor, and the buckets are stacked. If you go to a Kubota, Case, Mahindra, MF or New Holland dealer, look over the inventory, you'll see what I mean. The same is true with John Deere. If your tractor is significantly worse than "average" (such as in my case, pieces of paint coming off after one week), any dents, and/or major scratches, the dealer will take care of you. If you are holding up the tractor to "new car" expectations, the dealer will be "nice" but will quickly become frustrated. After buying my tractor, I bought a can of JD touch up paint and touched up the spots where the shipping chains scratched the axels, and the spots on the bucket that were most likely from being stacked during shipping.

Good luck. I believe you'll find the your 3039R to be a wonderful piece of equipment.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
First, sorry to hear about your experience. I had the hood replaced on my new tractor due to paint coming off in chunks a week after purchase. Heritage Tractor (my JD dealer) came out and replaced it. That said, tractors are not cars. I grew up around tractors. Chips, even with a little rust around them are common on new farm equipment. The assumption is that people, other than the owner, will not be admiring them. Tractors are designed to be put to work in harsh, dirty environments.

When shipped, chains are used to secure the tractor, and the buckets are stacked. If you go to a Kubota, Case, Mahindra, MF or New Holland dealer, look over the inventory, you'll see what I mean. The same is true with John Deere. If your tractor is significantly worse than "average" (such as in my case, pieces of paint coming off after one week), any dents, and/or major scratches, the dealer will take care of you. If you are holding up the tractor to "new car" expectations, the dealer will be "nice" but will quickly become frustrated. After buying my tractor, I bought a can of JD touch up paint and touched up the spots where the shipping chains scratched the axels, and the spots on the bucket that were most likely from being stacked during shipping.

Good luck. I believe you'll find the your 3039R to be a wonderful piece of equipment.
^^^ this is true. Your tractor was a great example of something not acceptable.

The box blade I wouldn't be all that concerned with. After 30 mins of actual use you will no longer notice the dings that was present on delivery.

Anything on the interior of the tractor cab such as the instrument cluster, I feel should be free of any damage period.

The remainder of the tractor should be new and I believe pictures of what's being described would help others give an accurate answer on how they would feel if the same tractor was delivered to them.

I would assume the dealer would hesitate on replacing the loader and tell you it needs to stay with the tractor for many reasons. One of those being if you financed the equipment. The loader has its own serial # and I'm sure it would be far easier/quicker to swap out the loader than the time required to explain all of this to John Deere and justify a change in the paperwork you have already signed.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
While I would expect the paint on the cab, fenders and hood to be in good condition, getting a loader and bucket chip-free is nearly impossible. Normally the dealer touches up the big scratches and chips on the loader itself but the bucket has to be pretty bad to warrant any painting.

Implements are the same way. The last Frontier rear blade I bought was in horrible condition despite being unassembled and still on the factory pallet. The dealer gave me a can of spray paint and a bottle of touch up paint.

As the previous poster suggested, ask for some kind of concession. If you wait for a pristine paint job you'll be in for a long wait.
What jgayman said.
Tractor should be tip top. Although 90% of the scratches and chips are probably done by the hauling and lashing down of equipment by the trucking company. They tend to try to fit as much on a load as possible and things get banged together.
The implements are just horribly stacked on top of each other. I know Frontier does this. My box blade was all shredded like it was used as well as the land plane i just bought. Although the scratches and being on broken factory dunnage got me another $100 off price and a can of paint. :good2:

When the dealer has to unload a stack of implements with just tiny pieces of wood separating them, things tend to get all scratched up. I don't think it's right, but that's basically what happens.
While i don't unload implements i do unload tons and tons of fab steel, machine parts, pipe , you name it from time to time.
The way they load things in a giant stack at the factory isn't the way it can be unloaded on a job site or dealer. Stuff needs to be picked apart. Contact occurs.

·
Registered
763 Posts
^^^ this is true. Your tractor was a great example of something not acceptable.

The box blade I wouldn't be all that concerned with. After 30 mins of actual use you will no longer notice the dings that was present on delivery.
I recently purchased a new King Kutter II Rotary Tiller. A small dent (2") on the back plate, a 9" scratch on the top, 1/8" to 1/4" chips in about 50 places, many of them with rust...and this was the best of three in stock. As you noted, after half an hour of use, the imperfections did not matter.

The standard for a tractor--especially one as nice as a 3039R--is much higher than for an implement, but should be lower (at least IMO) than for a car or boat. As others has posted, the interior should be without fault, although JD "fit and finish" is not up to automotive standards based on the cabs I've been in. I do not own a cab tractor (because I use mine in a wooded area), but I enjoy checking them out at the dealers and tractor shows. As a "car guy" and former concours judge, I have a trained eye for fit/finish issues. I'd say the JD cabs for the compact tractors are about the nicest in the industry.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,259 Posts
I'd expect a few scratches on attachment, but not on cab and body panel. I'd like to be the person putting the scratches on things, not the dealer, or factory.

The tractor and attachments should have been looked over carefully, and the scratched and dent repaired prior to delivery.

This weekend I either tell them to take it back and I change brands as the nearest other JD dealer is too far away.
Best of luck with that.

·
Premium Member
8,800 Posts
Photo's of the issues would definitely help the rest of us understand what you are talking about. Plus photos are always popular as a picture is worth 999 words.......I certainly hope your concerns can be resolved in a mutually amicable manner.

The sad thing is when the transaction starts out with the buyer dissatisfied, it's likely to go downhill from there if common ground and remedies can't be reached very soon which are acceptable to all involved.
It's important both parties work to avoid this. As a customer, it might mean counting to 10 before saying what one is thinking. As the dealer, it means listening to and understanding the customers concerns.

Different people have different standards and I am sure the responses to your post will highlight the different opinions. But entering into a large transaction being dissatisfied and unhappy from the onset usually means the entire relationship is troublesome thereafter and that needs to be prevented.

In my opinion, there isn't any excuse for the tractor to be dinged up and or scratched. Especially a new one which was ordered for you. It's a NEW VEHICLE..... Some people don't care about such things and that's their choice. I take care of the things I own and I expect those who work on it or use it to do the same. That is how I have always been. I don't even drive a rental car any differently than if I owned it myself. To me, it's a matter of respect for the equipment and earning the money which purchases them.

Also, in my opinion, there is a difference between implements such as the MMM and those which are designed to be ground engaging, like a box blade or rear blade, etc. In my opinion, The non ground engaging implements, or the ones which WON'T get scratched and dinged up during reasonable and prudent use (MMM, Carts, Debris Collection units, etc) should be like new when delivered.The MMM should look like new even many hours into the ownership with careful use but the ground engaging implements will show some use the moment they are used because of their contact with the ground, etc.

I have bought several things from Green Mark in Sodus, Michigan, including a new tractor, cab and half a dozen different implements. My tractor and cab were PERFECT and the dealer has been exceptional. Special cudo's to Ryan my salesman who has always taken GREAT care of me and Kaleb, probably the BEST Technician I have ever met who works on this type of equipment. Kaleb was at my house yesterday morning, first thing, to help me with an issue and once again, he proved to be OUTSTANDING.

My 3 point spreader had some paint damage and surface rust, which was pointed out to me by Ryan well before delivery. This was clearly communicated and not something I discovered upon delivery. We were all clear about this issue ahead of time. We reached an agreeable price based upon the cosmetic issues with the spreader. I do want to point out that the issue with the implements have always been cosmetic and nothing to do with their operation or function. Overall, I have been extremely happy with my tractor and experience with my local Green Mark dealer.

Were there things in the way the tractor was built which I would prefer to see done differently? Yes, there are a few things which don't impact the tractors operation or function, but still would prefer to see these handled differently in the design and materials used in production, but that's not on the dealer nor do they have any control over such matters.

I have visited numerous different dealers (more than I care to admit......) and generally, the tractors and implements are almost always stored outside. I was at the dealer recently for my new box blade and everyone I looked at on the lot, many of them still on pallets, were not what I would call "pristine" or perfect. In fact, I would say that most of them had a nick or paint issue. The way they are packed and banded for shipment seemed to be the cause of most of the scuffs or nicks in the paint. This isn't an excuse, just an explanation. They could be packed better to prevent the cosmetic issues.

My friends with Mahindra, Kubota, New Holland all have had some issues with their machines. I can say with 100% certainty that none of them have received the dealership response and attention that I have from my Green Mark location. In fact, when I was telling my friend with the Mahindra about an issue I recently had, he responded "Well, if that was my Mahindra dealer, I would expect them to get to it in about a month the way things have gone with my tractor." When I told him the issue was remedied by the dealer at my home within 8 hours of happening, he thought I was kidding.......But I wasn't. I have to say that Green Mark in Sodus has really been there for me and I appreciate it.

Also, I wrote the owner of Green Mark a letter and he personally responded to me within a day, via email. Then he followed up on the issue I had brought to his attention. I have even spoken with him in person and he genuinely seemed to be concerned about doing things correctly and taking care of his dealership's customers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your input. I have very high standards but also know that this a tractor. I was in the high end boat world my whole life so I do see everything, but more importantly, I have been everyone from the guy who screwed up to the salesman calling my CEO to say we have a problem here. I literally started at the bottom and had just about every role over 27 years.

My history enables me to guess pretty accurately how things happened and my original email to Greenmark said I am happy with JD, but most of the damage appears to be done by Greenmark. I didn't take pics as I had already told them to take it back when he talked me off the cliff and said we will make it right. This will give you some idea of the scratches and other miscues: grill guard gouged-not scratched(they replaced), dash gouges( poorly replaced), loader arms and rams about 25 spots, rear hydraulic manifold, box scraper looked used but wasn't (20 scratches no where near the ground), horn didn't work, imatch wouldn't function and delivery guy who was supposed to teach me couldn't operate. When asked, he also told me that the knob under the seat "had something to do with the seat" when in fact it controls how fast the rear implement goes up and down.

They probably don't want to change loaders as I did finance and the loader and tractor serial numbers are a part of the financing docs as one reply pointed out. Thank you for that.

I didn't push them on timing at all, again, I just wanted it right but it was back at my door in about 30 hours.

I'm going to ask for a reasonable service credit as it only costs them .50-60 cents on the dollar. Also a case of spray paint so I can do it right if I keep it. I only mentioned the dealer name in hopes someone would say they are the best......maybe that will happen. I do love the tractor (my reward for beating cancer), but I'm not going to keep it if this us the support I receive. If I don't keep it, I won't write a letter to the Greenmark owner, but right to JD Corporate.

For any one that might think I am being harsh on Greenmark, the first office I went into turns out to be their "headquarters" I was told after all this. I told the salesman exactly what I wanted (specified brand new, not sitting around outside for months), told him I spent $5k to make my garage doors tall enough to accommodate the tractor ......... all buying triggers if you have an ounce of salesmanship. He said "why don't you call me in a few days to see if I found anything ". I said, "here is my contact info, let me know what you find". Never ever heard from him again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resolution

I just got off the phone w the GM from the Greenmark I have been dealing with. We went through everything and I told him I was expecting more than just a bunch of touch ups. I went down the road of a dealer credit to call it even and was told there wasn't enough in the deal despite me not hammering them too hard on the original deal. Who knows??

We resolved it that I would use the loader and box scraper until he could deliver new ones in a fashion representative of a new machine. I'm happy with that. Thank you all and I look forward to using my JD and this forum!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I just got off the phone w the GM from the Greenmark I have been dealing with. We went through everything and I told him I was expecting more than just a bunch of touch ups. I went down the road of a dealer credit to call it even and was told there wasn't enough in the deal despite me not hammering them too hard on the original deal. Who knows??

We resolved it that I would use the loader and box scraper until he could deliver new ones in a fashion representative of a new machine. I'm happy with that. Thank you all and I look forward to using my JD and this forum!!
Glad to read it is working out. I think you will like the 3039R once things are settled. Based on my seat of the pants research on GTT, the higher end (R series and M with cab) tractors do tend to have a lot more going on regarding concerns and dealer complaints. This might be due to dealers having to put more of the tractor together. This makes the dealer far more important when dealing with the upper-end tractors.

Again, welcome to the GTT forum. When you have time, post some pictures...it helps our dopamine levels!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
From my observations of acquiring my two 1025Rs last year, the dealers that serve the large Ag customers don't appear to want to be bothered with compact and smaller sales. A few of them wouldn't even return my calls or respond to my emails. I suppose, they have become accustomed to elephant hunting and a whitetail is small game.

I did end up purchasing mine from a location that typically deals with elephants, but I think that had a lot to do with the price of corn and, in turn, there was no elephants to be had. They didn't have a single sub-compact on the lot, they both came from other locations. Things went well with the first purchase, but I did encounter a few hiccups with the second last summer and related attachments that followed. I believe the hiccups had something to do with the elephant herd returning.

Sales people are a different lot, in my opinion. They tend to be short range planners and thinkers. The ones I had to work with always severely lacked on after-the-sale follow up. Their attitude was, why should I? I've got my commission. I'm working for nothing doing after-the-sale follow up. Repeat business? I'm going to be promoted by then, so I won't see that repeat business.

I had an employee who end up doing a mid-life career change from a heavy equipment mechanic to an electronics technician, due to an injury. (Now, there's a leap.) He frequently quoted this phrase that circulated around the service department of this large heavy equipment dealer he was formerly employed at. I adopted it into my business:

"The sales department may make the first sale, but the service department makes all the subsequent sales!"

It takes a lot of time, effort, and expense to bring that first time customer through the door and close the sale. Believe me, I know. Most of us are creatures of habit and once we make that first purchase, we just keep going back without shopping for the following purchases--unless they give us a reason not to. That is why I have a very hard time understanding the madness of a number of the dealers I read about in these threads.

·
Premium Member
12,143 Posts
From my observations of acquiring my two 1025Rs last year, the dealers that serve the large Ag customers don't appear to want to be bothered with compact and smaller sales. A few of them wouldn't even return my calls or respond to my emails. I suppose, they have become accustomed to elephant hunting and a whitetail is small game.
I ran into the same thing when shopping for a Frontier landscape rake. The local large Ag dealer didn't have the size I needed and wasn't interested in ordering one. So I ended up buying the same Frontier rake on-line for less money with free shipping .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts