Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all the valuable information on this site. Thank You!

One quick question, I have a 1025r, 60" Mid Mount Mower and 54" Front end loader coming tomorrow - but I have one question - I think that the ballast box wasnt included - is this something that should be there? I don't have immediate plans for the front loader but I want to make sure if its supposed to be there from the dealer that I get it.. thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

The ballast box won't come with the tractor. They usually come with the loader unless the dealer chooses to order the loader without it. It's optional to have it come without it and save a few dollars. A lot of dealers won't order a loader without a ballast box. Either way, the basic tractor doesn't include the ballast box.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
:wgtt:

When I bought the 1023E with the H120 FEL, it came with the ballast box. I never thought twice about it until I just looked at the original paperwork from the dealer. I did buy the ballast box separately. It was only about $150, so no big deal really, but I was under the impression all this time that it came with the loader.

Just order one. They most likely have one there at the dealership and will bring it with the tractor tomorrow. $150 is a small price to pay for the insurance you incur by having one.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I really appreciate all the valuable information on this site. Thank You!

One quick question, I have a 1025r, 60" Mid Mount Mower and 54" Front end loader coming tomorrow - but I have one question - I think that the ballast box wasnt included - is this something that should be there? I don't have immediate plans for the front loader but I want to make sure if its supposed to be there from the dealer that I get it.. thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,
Jim
The ballast box is an optional item which must be purchased seperately.

But like so many of us, once you find out how incredibly handy that new Deere really is, you will think of or create projects which utilize your FEL make sure to add the ballast box. It is really important once you have the loader for safety reasons.

If I were you, I would call the dealer 1st thing in the AM and ask them to add the ballast box so you have it when your SCUT is delivered. Safety First!

Congratulations on your new tractor and welcome to the GTT Forum!:greentractorride:

Make sure to check out the great attachments available from the GTT Forum sponsors. They offer some very handy and high quality products which will enhance your use and enjoyment of your new tractor.

Oh, and pictures of your new toy are expected. (I think mandatory to be on the forum.....Just kidding):laugh:

·
Registered
8,452 Posts

When I bought the 1023E with the H120 FEL, it came with the ballast box. I never thought twice about it until I just looked at the original paperwork from the dealer. I did buy the ballast box separately. It was only about $150, so no big deal really, but I was under the impression all this time that it came with the loader.

Just order one. They most likely have one there at the dealership and will bring it with the tractor tomorrow. $150 is a small price to pay for the insurance you incur by having one.
Hey Tonton,
I really like the little graffiti smiley guy who is "tagging" your post.......Pretty creative!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Hey Tonton,
I really like the little graffiti smiley guy who is "tagging" your post.......Pretty creative!:thumbup1gif:
Thanks Sulley, but I can't take credit for it. If you click [MORE] on the emoticons to the right of the HTML editor box (where we type our posts), another window will pop up with a whole bunch of silly emoticons. This one in particular is in column 3, row 4.

I like this one the best though... :amish:

I think they should rename it tonton. :lol:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I was out the other night and had taken my ballast box off to use my dethatcher, I went to move some dirt with the loader and I couldn't believe how unstable it felt without the ballast. I won't use my FEL without it on.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,629 Posts
Welcome to GTT JimL243. You need a rear ballast regardless of what it actually is.
Post up some pictures when ya get the new tractor home.

·
Registered
139 Posts
With my 2 series it was setup as a loader option package that included the hood guard and ballast box.

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia,, agree with others you need some type of ballast.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Agree 100%. Ballast, of any kind, is important. You can put fluid in your tires, weights on your rims, use weights on something like a heavy hitch, or a ballast box. Being fat in the seat does not count. I think that the best kind is BEHIND the rear axle (BB or Heavy Hitch), so that your teeter-totter pivots on those strong rear axles, rather than your delicate front axles and u-joints.

Number 1 reason - SAFETY - keeping your back tires firmly on the ground is crucial for balance. Any side-hill, soft ground, or shifting load on the loader, and you'll be on your side in no time, likely injured, possibly dead.

Number second - COST - not ballasting the back can quickly break a front axle, and that's not a cheap fix.

-J.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine included ballast box

I just picked up my 1025r 2 weeks ago and the ballast box and guard were part of the loader package. When I went to pick it up it did not have the ballast box and after I asked , the rep went inside and grabbed one and put it on the tractor. I have already filled it up with sand, added 3 pvc pipes, a top box and painted it john Deere green. Got the idea from others on this website. Having fun..... You will love it.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Welcome from New York.

IIRC a ballast box was included with my H120 loader, but I got a credit when it was "deleted" because I bought a backhoe. (My BH is my 650 lb ballast and stays on my tractor full time.) But that was almost 3 years ago, when the TLB and FILB were not available yet and I had to buy everything separately. I'm not sure how it is handled now.

Good luck with your new tractor and YES, pics are really appreciated on GTT.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Ballast behind the rear axle helps to remove stress from the front axle. With the smaller frame tractors I feel this is even more important.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Agree 100%. Ballast, of any kind, is important. You can put fluid in your tires, weights on your rims, use weights on something like a heavy hitch, or a ballast box. Being fat in the seat does not count. I think that the best kind is BEHIND the rear axle (BB or Heavy Hitch), so that your teeter-totter pivots on those strong rear axles, rather than your delicate front axles and u-joints.

Number 1 reason - SAFETY - keeping your back tires firmly on the ground is crucial for balance. Any side-hill, soft ground, or shifting load on the loader, and you'll be on your side in no time, likely injured, possibly dead.

Number second - COST - not ballasting the back can quickly break a front axle, and that's not a cheap fix.

-J.
Mine did not come with a ballast box , but I did discover when I was doing mmm deck adjustments that my rear tires were liquid filled . Is this how they come or do you have to request it ? I have the 49" bucket and is the liquid in the tires enough ballast even though I don't do too much with the bucket as far as moving dirt , gravel , etc. ? Thanks :unknown:

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Mine did not come with a ballast box , but I did discover when I was doing mmm deck adjustments that my rear tires were liquid filled . Is this how they come or do you have to request it ? I have the 49" bucket and is the liquid in the tires enough ballast even though I don't do too much with the bucket as far as moving dirt , gravel , etc. ? Thanks :unknown:
Fluid filled tires are great, but not standard from the factory. Your dealer would've done that before they delivered it.

No, fluid in the tires is not enough for loader use. You need the weight on the three point hitch in order to take the stress off your front axle. Weight in the tires is good for traction, but does very little as a counterweight for the loader.

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
Fluid filled tires are great, but not standard from the factory. Your dealer would've done that before they delivered it.

No, fluid in the tires is not enough for loader use. You need the weight on the three point hitch in order to take the stress off your front axle. Weight in the tires is good for traction, but does very little as a counterweight for the loader.
Agree,,,fluid in the tires and nothing else for ballast does not come close to the amount of rear ballast needed when using the FEL.

Add 3-500 lbs on the rear then your closer to being safe and even then you still need to be careful.

·
Administrator
20,464 Posts
Agree,,,fluid in the tires and nothing else for ballast does not come close to the amount of rear ballast needed when using the FEL.

Add 3-500 lbs on the rear then your closer to being safe and even then you still need to be careful.
I'll add that your suggestion is good, if you weren't using the loader. The minimum ballast requirements for the 1 series when equipped with the loader is much higher. Having rear ballast on the rear tires is great for stability, but not nearly as effective as weight behind the rear axle.:good2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts