Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy guys,

Thursday I picked up a gently used X758, (I know everybody likes pics so, here: Trading the X748 today for a X758 )

My question is the fuel usage rates per hour.

I still have a JD2305 for spraying apples trees, lawns and fertilizing. I don't know why but for a few years I kept track of the fuel usage and hours. The hour meters on the 2305 is RPM corrected to 2900 rpm. So if it was idling such as when I was off it and loading things into the trailer it would take roughly 2 hours to put an hour on the clock. When I mowed with the 62C deck it ran good at 2500 RPM so it would take 70 min or so to put an hour on the clock. When spraying the pump built good pressure at 2200 RPM.

Date Hours # of gallons
8-06-12 332.4 0
8-13-18 841.3 361

6 years 508.9 361

So that comes out to .7093731 gallons/ hour, For the detail minded and statistical folks, that should be represented as roughly 3 quarts and hou.:lol::lolol::laugh::mocking:

BTW my wife just walked in and said, "what are you doing"? I told her making a post on fuel consumption on the new vs. old diesel mower. Her answer was after rolling her eyes, "When did you get a diesel"?

FWIW, the Simplicity Conquest which I picked up with less than 100 hours on it burns about 1.5 gallons an hour.:banghead: I paid about the same for this low hour machine with a triple power flow bagger for what John Deere wanted for the bagger on the JD2305 and is pretty convenient when having to pick up grass or leaves and not have to put a bagger on a machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Did I miss something? I didn’t see the fuel usage rate for the x758. Since this was posted in the L&G section that is what I kind of expected.....

I would say without any calculations that my 2520 is about the same as far as mowing fuel usage - off the hip of course.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I miss something? I didn’t see the fuel usage rate for the x758. Since this was posted in the L&G section that is what I kind of expected.....

I would say without any calculations that my 2520 is about the same as far as mowing fuel usage - off the hip of course.

I got the X758 last Thursday and only have 3 hours on it. The dash display startled me yesterday when I was mowing and saw an orange icon flashing and the fuel gauge flashing indicating it was very low. It appears that hills greatly affect the fuel gauge. Anyway, have no point of reference regarding fuel usage. The 2305 was great, filled it about once a month and I have a BIG yard.

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I got the X758 last Thursday and only have 3 hours on it. The dash display startled me yesterday when I was mowing and saw an orange icon flashing and the fuel gauge flashing indicating it was very low. It appears that hills greatly affect the fuel gauge. Anyway, have no point of reference regarding fuel usage. The 2305 was great, filled it about once a month and I have a BIG yard.
I'm going to guess the x758 will be very similar in fuel usage if they are running the same size deck.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The hydraulically driven full time 4wd might eat up a little more fuel than the mechanical 4wd of the 2305

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to guess the x758 will be very similar in fuel usage if they are running the same size deck.

Decks are very similar, 62C vs 60HC deck, but the deck on the 2305 with independent lift could not be adjusted to cut higher than 2.75" no matter what I did. :banghead: The X758 can be set to 4" or so which makes me much happier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The hydraulically driven full time 4wd might eat up a little more fuel than the mechanical 4wd of the 2305
Good point.

The 2305 got around very good in the orchard which is a fairly steep in 2WD, but when mowing it was often in 4WD so I wouldn't spin a tire.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
That is sure a clean machine, nice find.
It is nice to have spare units around and I imagine that garden tractor is a much smoother ride too.

·
Registered
7,931 Posts
My 1025r tractor uses between 3 quarts and 3.5 quarts of fuel per hour when plowing snow and when I plow snow, I am getting with it.....Run the engine at 80% to 100% WOT and in High gear 99% of the time. Also pushing a snow blade which is 87" wide.........Heavy wet snow and fuel use grows up to near what the PTO use typically is........My 455 diesel uses a little less fuel, about 8% to 10% less than my 1025r.

Using the PTO for rear 3 point RC2048 mowing, the tractor will burn up to 1.25 gallons per hour. I run the tractor at the 540 RPM for the rear PTO which means I am at the PTO point on the tach, which is around 3,000 RPM's. Heavier cutting, higher fuel use, cutting stuff at 15" or less and its closer to 1.1 gallon per hour. Usually, when I mow, I am mowing for anywhere from 2.5 to 5 hours at a time and I always start out using my tractor with the fuel tank full. I always fill my tractor when I am done using it. Its a habit from winter and just continues. Plus, it cuts down on the chance to accumulate moisture in the tank.

I have a poly 6 gallon fuel jug which is ideal for pouring into the fuel neck recessed under the fuel access area in the cab. I always screen the fuel when transferring it into the pouring jug and then pour the fuel into the tractor. The fuel jug is incrementally marked so its easy to keep track of fuel usage by whats transferred into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I get about 5 hours on about 3 gallons with the X758, but about 1.5 of those hours is moving it from place to place. I honestly have no idea how it racks up that much time just moving it around, but...it does.

Why do I move it around? Well, to wash it, to service the deck, to get into the back of the shed where it lives, or just to take it out and leave it somewhere so it can sit there looking pretty. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
The most I burn is about 1 gal per hour and that's with continuous heavy mowing.

Rick

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have had the X758 one week today. Put 6 hours on it, the grass is growing like crazy. 600#s of phosphorus fertilizermay also be a contributing factor. :lol::lolol::laugh::mocking:

I don't know how full it was when I got it. I fueled it 2.6 running hours ago and on level ground it was a hair over half. However on the hill in the orchard it lit the orange icon and the fuel gauge started flashing empty just before I finished in the orchard. Not wild about the fuel gauge and smaller fuel tank.

My gut feeling is it will be roughly 1 gallon/ hour, 25% more than the JD2305.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

Well it's been a year for mowing with the rain. I am up to 24 hours on it since purchase around 6 weeks ago.

The fuel consumption is becoming clearer. I have put in 15 gallons since it had 50.1 hours on it, the tank is almost full right now and now has 67.8 hours. I expect around 3 more hours of run time to get it down to the same point of empty when this exercise started.

So, roughly:

15 gallons

20 hours of run time = .75 gallons / hour on the mini max diesel of the X758.:good2:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like consumption is going to be even better than the previous post. Put on a couple more hours yesterday and I am at 70.5 hours with probably about 1/3 tank left.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I don't know about this whole 'corrected hour meter' thing... not going to be a very consistent way to compare usage between different folks' tractors since a lot of people just refer to the standard hour meter where hours aren't 'corrected' to RPM*. Only thing that would matter to me is tracking fuel usage at WOT while mowing or snowblowing. That's something that can be compared apples-to-apples across various peoples' tractors and models.

*I'm sure there is a reason for the 'corrected hours' thing for other reasons.

As for my usage, my x758 gets right about 0.9 gal/hr when mowing. I mow 7 acres in 4.5 hours @ WOT and it takes about 4 gallons each mow.

Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts