Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a 4x4 drag harrow to rough up some bare dirt, cut some surface up for seed, flip the harrow over after broadcast seeding some winter grass. I've checked the soil and will fertilize gently before using the harrow. Harrow tricks/advice? Slow, fast, medium speed? Go north/south, then east/west or just in one direction at first? I got the 4 footer because I need to handle it alone and it was in stock at TSC. I have about 2 acres to cover, so a bigger one would have been better and faster, but I have more time than money. I'm figuring on watching it work and adjusting speed as required. If anyone has tips on using this tool, I'm listening. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I bought a 4x4 drag harrow to rough up some bare dirt, cut some surface up for seed, flip the harrow over after broadcast seeding some winter grass. I've checked the soil and will fertilize gently before using the harrow. Harrow tricks/advice? Slow, fast, medium speed? Go north/south, then east/west or just in one direction at first? I got the 4 footer because I need to handle it alone and it was in stock at TSC. I have about 2 acres to cover, so a bigger one would have been better and faster, but I have more time than money. I'm figuring on watching it work and adjusting speed as required. If anyone has tips on using this tool, I'm listening. Thanks!
I think you are on the right track, just hook it up and give it a whirl and make the adjustments needed. :thumbup1gif: Let us know how it all works out for you.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
754 Posts
You will need extra weight on the harrow to loosen up the dirt. Harrows are designed to level ground, not really loosen or till it up. Be best to do the whole area one way, back & forth east and west, then turn 90 degrees, and go north & south. Maybe even go at 45 degree angles too after the first two passes. Depends on if the ground works up like you want or not.

You can run fairly fast, just don't let the harrow get to bouncing, it would probably break eventually. You should be able to cover your two acres in a reasonable time. The big question will be how many trips you will need to make over the ground. I did a lot of harrowing when Dad farmed, if I had the horsepower I'd harrow 8-10 mph, even faster if possible.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harrow works, sort of

The bare ground was too dry and too hard in most places for the harrow. Slower worked better, but it just bounced along, so I put on the 647 tiller and did it right going both E-W and N-S, then I used the harrow to help level it out some more, again doing it E-W and N-S. I was mostly playing with it to see what it can do and I'm pleased with the results. I should have gotten the 6' harrow to cover the tracks better, but no one had it in stock and it was going to be another 2-3 weeks to get it. Oh well... The 4' is easier to manhandle and that's the excuse I'm sticking to!

I used the 2036B spreader to apply some 16-16-16 to the soil, let it sprinkle naturally last night and today I'll rake it in better with the harrow. In a couple of days, I'll seed it with a mix of sand and rye grass - just before the next rain.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice harrow idea - new tiller slip clutch?

Maybe I'll get another 4 footer to go with this one and get an 8' spreader/header bar. That way I can cover 8' wide x 4' long or use it on smaller areas as '4 x 8' long unit. First I have to fix the slip clutch on the tiller. It might be burned up. It began to slip terribly and with the wind blowing, I didn't hear it or smell it until it was smoking... OOPS! New thread will begin after I take it apart:banghead:

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
improved drag harrow technique

I loaded two good sized pallets on top of the harrow and chained them in place at the front of the harrow. The chain kept the pallets in place, added weight at the tow bar and improved teh workl done by the harrow. One pallet was fine for the finish passes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have always wanted one of these. Very curious to see your results. :munch:

·
Registered
44 Posts
My drag harrow won't do much in the way of breaking up undisturbed soil. Even with a couple of blocks on top, it only scratches the surface. I've found I need to break it up with a tiller, subsoiler or disc and then smooth it out with the harrow. Using it before and after seeding does a good job of bedding grass seed.
Now a gravel drive is different, where the drag harrow does a commendable job of renewing the surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts