Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gentlemen.. I have bought another implement. Before I get into that though, I also purchased a "cheap" quick hitch from agrisupply and I have to say I'm quite impressed with it.. esp considering the price $89!!! I used this hitch to haul around my 700# tiller w/o issue last week. Sorry I couldn't take any pictures. I was in a race against the rain.

Back to the implement.. I found a John Deere 403 bush hog for $275. Its a bit dinged up in the back but there's no serious rust anyway, everything turns free, and it came with a PTO shaft. For that price I figured it was a pretty good deal. Its a bit too dark to take decent enough pictures to show you guys what the rear looks like but it's definitely smacked a few trees in its day.

I'm trying to decide if I should break out my 4ft plumbers wrench and bend everything back into place; or just take a grinder to it and cut away about half of the height of the rear plate then replace it with chain lengths like you see on the larger cutters.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I should do with the rear end.. or the cutter in general?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,872 Posts
:munch: Pics would be good here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lucky for you I woke up early.. got a few before work.
IMG_20150416_074558_627.jpg
IMG_20150416_074611_317.jpg
IMG_20150416_074622_204.jpg

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Reactions: DQ1 and Levi

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ouch, ouch, owwwwww...
Yeah.. I'm fairly certain I could straighten it all out given enough time, but I don't know that I'm interested in spending that kind of time when I could just replace the rear portion with a chain guard.

Had I not been picking it up so late I probably would have talked him down a bit in price given how deep those dents are.

Does anyone see an argument to not trimming the rear end up 4"~6" and replacing all of that bent plate with a chain guard?
Obviously I'd make sure the chain couldn't reach the blades..

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hurts my neck looking that those pics....

Anyways, the guy definitely backed into something a time or two. If it were mine, I would cut the majority of the back flange off, leaving enough to attach a chain curtain.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't see why that wouldn't work. Far easier than straightening all that metal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hurts my neck looking that those pics....

Anyways, the guy definitely backed into something a time or two. If it were mine, I would cut the majority of the back flange off, leaving enough to attach a chain curtain.
I see you're in the piedmont, any chance you have a torch? :bigbeer:

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
If you are just using to mow with, I would try to beat the dents back out. But if you are going to use it like the oringal owner, you might want to beef it up some.

Right side up.

Attachments

Reactions: Levi and coaltrain

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I looked it over after work and I think I will probably cut out the bad steel. It'd take a heck of a lot of work to get it remotely close to factory. I'm not quite sure how one accidentally does that kind of damage. He didn't even have a FEL to complicate the operation.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
The same way you park a car... You back up until you hear the crunch, then you pull forward....:laugh:

Dave

Reactions: DQ1 and Levi

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I would heat the dent up hammer it out and weld on a 1/2' x 3' flat around the damaged part to reinforce it.. Paint it and you are done.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,872 Posts
Now that you can see it right side up...the wheel bracket needs help too. I'd take it apart, as much as possible and take a sledge hammer to it. Straighten it out as much as possible and then go to work on it in a serious matter. Not having a welder, torch or cutter of any kind, I'd just keep reducing the size of my hammer as I got along in the job. 'Course the 2" steel and chain hoist I have would help. Good luck on how ever you do it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After doing a little more looking it seems as though hooking a chain hook where the corner in the steel should be may work... chain the deck to a tree and the corner to the backhoe.
But that project will have to wait until I finish putting the roof on the lean-to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts