Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally found a field roller that would satisfy me. It is 7 1/2 ft wide with an 8 ft overall width. He would have made it any width I wanted, but this keeps it within the 102 inch width of my deckover trailer. As I remember, the drum is supposed to be 30 inches diameter, but I have not checked that. I am thinking it is closer to 24 inches diameter. This is a shop built roller, but it looks as good as any professional built roller. It was supposed to weigh about 1750 lbs, but he said there is more steel in it than that, so maybe closer to 2000 lbs. So, full of water, it will be well over 4000 lbs. The 4066R handles it just fine. The JD green paint was a bonus. This is the second one he has made that I am aware of and he said he will make them until he runs out of material. The pics are not the best. I got tired of waiting for sunshine.

Dave

IMAG0340.jpg IMAG0341.jpg IMAG0345.jpg IMAG0346.jpg IMAG0342.jpg IMAG0344.jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Nice looking roller for sure! Thanks for the pics?

Reactions: pcabe5 and BigJim55

·
Registered
232 Posts
Looks good! I am a big fan of the roller- makes for a smooth lawn mowing experience and helps maintain gravel road and driveways! You will find a bunch of uses for it! We have a section of woods that I pulled it through- pushed down all the small branches and logs into the ground to make brush cutting smoother.

Mine is 72" x 24. No idea what it weighs, but my h165 will just barely lift it. Thought it was gonna break something when I off loader it! Add water and it's super heavy. Mine was bought on the cheap and while it's super solid- the weak link is the greased spindles. Prob last a long time, but it needs bearings like yours.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,132 Posts
I finally found a field roller that would satisfy me. It is 7 1/2 ft wide with an 8 ft overall width. He would have made it any width I wanted, but this keeps it within the 102 inch width of my deckover trailer. As I remember, the drum is supposed to be 30 inches diameter, but I have not checked that. I am thinking it is closer to 24 inches diameter. This is a shop built roller, but it looks as good as any professional built roller. It was supposed to weigh about 1750 lbs, but he said there is more steel in it than that, so maybe closer to 2000 lbs. So, full of water, it will be well over 4000 lbs. The 4066R handles it just fine. The JD green paint was a bonus. This is the second one he has made that I am aware of and he said he will make them until he runs out of material. The pics are not the best. I got tired of waiting for sunshine.

Dave

View attachment 102761
Dave, Nice roller. Is that an adjustable scraper blade on the back that is held on with the four bolts?
I made a roller years ago, the first time I got into soft dirt and it started packing on the roller I added a spring loaded scraper blade to it.
I used pillow blocks on my roller also. :thumbup1gif:I no longer have the roller I made, wish I did.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
It's gorgeous Dave, what prompted a roller?

Reactions: pcabe5

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's gorgeous Dave, what prompted a roller?

My ground has gotten so rough that I have had to slow down when mowing, so a roller seems like the way to fix that!!!

Dave

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave, Nice roller. Is that an adjustable scraper blade on the back that is held on with the four bolts?
I made a roller years ago, the first time I got into soft dirt and it started packing on the roller I added a spring loaded scraper blade to it.
I used pillow blocks on my roller also. :thumbup1gif:I no longer have the roller I made, wish I did.

Sharp eye!!! Yes, that is a scraper, but it is not spring loaded. I adjusted it to be about 1/2 inch clearance. I think that will work fine. The pillow block bearings are about the only kind of bearings that will handle this kind of weight for this application. It took a lot of grease the first time!!! I thought the stand for the tongue was a nice touch. I really think he did good work.

If anyone wants him to build one for themselves, I can put you in contact with him. He is about 50 miles southwest of St. Louis and you would have to go pick it up. He actually works full time in St. Louis. He can build you pretty much whatever size you want. He was thousands cheaper than anything else I could find.

Dave

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
Sharp eye!!! Yes, that is a scraper, but it is not spring loaded. I adjusted it to be about 1/2 inch clearance. I think that will work fine. The pillow block bearings are about the only kind of bearings that will handle this kind of weight for this application. It took a lot of grease the first time!!! I thought the stand for the tongue was a nice touch. I really think he did good work.
The stand is a GREAT idea. I have one of the small Ohio Steel 24" x 60" metal rollers like you get at TSC. It weighs around 900 lbs. Hooking it up was always a major PITA because the tongue is laying on the ground and you cannot move the roller by hand.

So this past summer I made a parking stand for it. As the hitch is only 8-10 inches off the ground when attached, a crank stand was way too large. So I made a small folding foot out of square tubing and attached it to the tongue. It holds the tongue at just the right height so I can back right in and insert the hitch pin. Then it just folds up out of the way, flush with the tongue.

It totally eliminated the pulling, pushing, cursing, etc. that was normally associated with getting the roller attached to the tractor. :)

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
My ground has gotten so rough that I have had to slow down when mowing, so a roller seems like the way to fix that!!!

Dave

More questions now Dave,

How often do plan on rolling the lawn?

Do think you'll need to follow it up with aeration?

I have contemplated a roller, but have not convinced myself of needing one yet.

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
Good question Randy, I am wondering this also........

I roll my lawn once or twice every spring with the same roller jgayman has. The yard is slowly getting smoother, but I am wondering about aeration. I had read somewhere that aerating can help soft spots to dry/harden up quicker. With my clay soil, that would be a good thing. I am not expecting a miracle, but a little help wouldn't hurt.

Reactions: pcabe5 and rtgt

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More questions now Dave,

How often do plan on rolling the lawn?

I have contemplated a roller, but have not convinced myself of needing one yet.

If your ground is not rough, you do not need a roller. My ground is so rough, that I need the seat belt to stay in the seat if I try to go too fast. My preferred speed is max speed in B range, which is 9 MPH. With the 110 inch rear finish mower, I can mow 4-5 acres in 30 minutes. I already rolled the front yard since it has rained so much recently and is a little soft, but mainly I will be using it in the spring when the ground is at it's softest. Then I will fill it with water for maximum capability. I will probably roll it more than once during the spring. I am sure that with my tractor being as heavy as it is, that has contributed to the roughness somewhat, but it was already really rough when I moved here last year and I had to use the seat belt on the 1025R to be able to stay on the seat if I went very fast.

If I had one of those "show place" lawns, I would probably follow it up with aeration, but my grass is not that good. I will be working on that, but do not anticipate ever getting to that level with the remaining time left in my life. In fact, I had a 3pt aerator made from an old rotary hoe, but I got rid of it shortly after moving here. I may wind up regretting that. While I do mow all of my place, some of the other people in this area just let a large percentage of their places go natural, or maybe mow it once or twice a year with a brush hog. So, "show place" lawns are not a high priority around here.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good question Randy, I am wondering this also........

I roll my lawn once or twice every spring with the same roller jgayman has. The yard is slowly getting smoother, but I am wondering about aeration. I had read somewhere that aerating can help soft spots to dry/harden up quicker. With my clay soil, that would be a good thing. I am not expecting a miracle, but a little help wouldn't hurt.

I think the aeration has more to do with promoting better root growth. With your clay soil, that could be a good thing. However, I would just look at it and if you are satisfied with what you have, then you are done..... I also think that if preparing the ground for new planting, the aeration could also be a good thing after rolling it for smoothness. I believe that would help the new grass to get started better.

Dave

·
Corndog Hater
11,794 Posts
If your ground is not rough, you do not need a roller. My ground is so rough, that I need the seat belt to stay in the seat if I try to go too fast. My preferred speed is max speed in B range, which is 9 MPH. With the 110 inch rear finish mower, I can mow 4-5 acres in 30 minutes. I already rolled the front yard since it has rained so much recently and is a little soft, but mainly I will be using it in the spring when the ground is at it's softest. Then I will fill it with water for maximum capability. I will probably roll it more than once during the spring. I am sure that with my tractor being as heavy as it is, that has contributed to the roughness somewhat, but it was already really rough when I moved here last year and I had to use the seat belt on the 1025R to be able to stay on the seat if I went very fast.

If I had one of those "show place" lawns, I would probably follow it up with aeration, but my grass is not that good. I will be working on that, but do not anticipate ever getting to that level with the remaining time left in my life. In fact, I had a 3pt aerator made from an old rotary hoe, but I got rid of it shortly after moving here. I may wind up regretting that. While I do mow all of my place, some of the other people in this area just let a large percentage of their places go natural, or maybe mow it once or twice a year with a brush hog. So, "show place" lawns are not a high priority around here.
I think the aeration has more to do with promoting better root growth. With your clay soil, that could be a good thing. However, I would just look at it and if you are satisfied with what you have, then you are done..... I also think that if preparing the ground for new planting, the aeration could also be a good thing after rolling it for smoothness. I believe that would help the new grass to get started better.

Dave

Thanks for the input. I am skeptical of the aeration improving much more that the root growth. My neighborhood sounds a lot like yours. Many nice lawns, but no striping, etc. Some folks do spray/fertilize, but honestly, I think our lawn looks just as nice as those that get sprayed and I don't put a thing on it. We also get complimented frequently on how nice it looks. So, I don't lose sleep over any of it. But, someday, if I have the time, and money, I might aerate and invest in a bigger roller. But for now I will just keep doing what I am doing. BTW, we have reaped the benefits of being sandwiched between 2 people who do spray, we have hardly a dandelion.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Dave

View attachment 102745 View attachment 102761 View attachment 102769 View attachment 102777 View attachment 102785 View attachment 102793
Well, I looked up the specs I had before buying it and it said 32 inch diameter, so I went out and measured it. Sure enough, it is 32 inches diameter. Apparently that much width makes the diameter look smaller than it is as I was thinking it looked like it was only 24 inches in diameter and did not remember what the specs said. I think the larger diameter will work better in smoothing out the ground.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts