Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this unit for changing the fluid in the gearbox on my Frontier RC2048 rear 3 point mower. It's a nicely made tool and it has great suction for pulling out the fluid. I also bought a couple of larger syringes for getting smaller amounts of fluid as I am trying to extract as much fluid as I can as it has moisture in it.

The gear box doesn't have a drain in the bottom of it to completely drain all of the fluid. My plan is to use this to draw out the majority of the gear oil and the syringes to get the small amount I am unable to get with this unit. Hopefully, I can extract the majority of the fluid using these two tools. The syringes haven't arrived yet and they have a smaller tube for really getting the fluid out of the bottom of the housing.

To be honest, I am wondering if the vent is largely the cause of these cases getting moisture in them. My mower has spent very little time out in the elements, yet its inspection window shows milky gear oil. Others on GTT have found the same thing. A new GTT member had a new RC2048 mower delivered the other day and the fluid was milky upon delivery. This same gearbox and style vent is used on the 48", 60", 72" and I think the 84" mower as well. With as many people who have noticed this moisture in the gear oil in the gear boxes, there has to be some common cause.

I had to chuckle when I was looking for various fluid extraction tools. This particular tool had pretty good reviews, with most being 4 or 5 star. Then there was a post rated 1 star where the guy posted the following (Please note, I am paraphrasing from memory, this isn't a direct quote)

""This thing is terrible as a grease gun. First, the seal in the plunger is so tight to the case, I couldn't get the grease tube into the grease gun. So, I trimmed the rubber seal and was able to get the cartridge into the gun, but there is no way to pump the grease gun. There is no way to bleed the air out of the cartridge if you pack it with grease from the cartridge. So, I started with the plunger all the way out and pushed it down to force grease out of the clear plastic tube. The tube doesn't fit on the grease fitting like it should so the grease just forced its way around the fitting and out the sides of the clear tube at the bottom of the fitting. No grease actually went into the fitting and all it did was make a mess. What a terrible grease gun."

While the appearance of the tool is that of a grease gun and it likely uses a couple of the same components as a grease gun, its specifically designed to be a fluid extraction / fluid transfer tool. Perhaps the packaging and the marketing material should delete the "Grease gun" references as it would be a lousy grease gun, but as shown in the photo, the Grease gun is very prominently mentioned in the packaging and the marketing of this "cylinder style fluid extraction or addition" tool.

It would make a lousy grease gun as its not intended to have a cartridge installed in it and there isn't a way to securely and properly put the clear hose on a zirk. Also, as the reviewer noted, there is only the plunger to suck the fluid out and then transfer to another storage container. You can use it to fill the gear box or any other fluid holding item by drawing the new fluid out of the container and using this to transfer the new fluid location.........

No one mentioned to the reviewer why it failed to perform as a grease gun. I kind of felt bad for the guy and wonder why he bought this one as a grease gun with all of the choices available. It's not the cheapest, but it is a very nicely made tool. With the plunger at the base of the cylinder inserted all the way, simply putting your finger over the barbed tip, which holds the clear tube very securely, the vacuum is so strong you can't pull the plunger. As a suction tool, it definitely sucks just like its supposed to.........:laugh::good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I have one of those that is probably over 25 years old and still going strong. I never tried using it as a grease gun though. :)

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Thanks for the laugh, made my day. :laugh:

As far as getting the oil out of the gearbox, I can usually find a way to lift the mower with the FEL in a position that puts the fill hole or even vent hole at the low point where a drain would be and let the oil run out that way. This will get all of the oil. May be circumstances where you can't do this but has always worked for me.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I did a fluid exchange on my mower deck gear box after two seasons and I was fortunate that the old fluid really didn't look too bad and no sign of water ingression.
Wish I could have said the same of my hydro oil at my first service, it was a tad milky, likely from having to pressure wash from repeatedly sinking in the mud back in my property.
Either way, I used a Mity-Vac kit I had initially purchased for lone wolf brake bleeding.
It came with a small tank to draw fluid into. I think they produce larger evacuation systems and their prices are very reasonable.

https://www.skf.com/binary/301-317342/Mityvac_Catalog_v5.pdf

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Thanks for the laugh, made my day. :laugh:

As far as getting the oil out of the gearbox, I can usually find a way to lift the mower with the FEL in a position that puts the fill hole or even vent hole at the low point where a drain would be and let the oil run out that way. This will get all of the oil. May be circumstances where you can't do this but has always worked for me.
Good idea, and probably a good idea to run the cutter for a little while and then put a couple of heat lamps on it for a couple hours, then drain.

·
Premium Member
4,326 Posts
Back in the late 80’s I understood when there was a translation issue. I don’t understand anymore how it still happens yet today.

Still the best one I even saw was in manual for a machine that had what was called a hook hole but in Japan hook is pronounced With a F and a long U followed by a k or fook. Unless it is misspelled with a u and a ck.:laugh:

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the other "Fluid Extraction Tool" for the project

It sure is easy to get hooked on ordering from Amazon. I ordered this on Sunday afternoon along with the "Grease Gun" and first the grease gun arrived at the door in the box from the USPS yesterday and then last night when checking the mailbox, the other tool was in there in a envelope.......Our USPS carrier will put the boxes which won't fit in the mailbox at the front door and on the same delivery, the packages which do fit in the mailbox are put in the mailbox. No big deal, but you just never know what's going to be where.....the good news is she is no longer putting the packages in front of the tire tracks on the garage door.....after 5 requests not to do so.........and one package being run over.

Nice kit as it has a storage pouch and even came with the extra seals to rebuild the syringe when necessary, in a small package in the pouch. All for under $10......and this tool really has suction as well. And I like the handle on the plunger.

Good thing this doesn't have any translation issues like Herminator was describing.:laugh::lol: I still can't get over all of the effort the guy put into the "Grease Gun" tool and still didn't occur to him it wasn't a Grease gun........I give him credit for effort and taking the time to describe his challenges.

The other extreme in the reviews is when people post something like "Great tool, I haven't actually opened the box yet, but the packaging is really nice so I am sure the tool is going to work great." Of course there are also those who trash the items review because the delivery was goofed up, which tells me nothing about the tools function itself. That's why when something has a bunch of really good reviews and then someone has posted a really poor review, I usually read the poor review to see if anything relevant is revealed, and usually its not...........

Bstean 100ml Large Plastic-Steel Syringe Pump with 150cm/59inch Tubing and Matching Cap for Oil Liquid Injection: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

Attachments

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a fluid exchange on my mower deck gear box after two seasons and I was fortunate that the old fluid really didn't look too bad and no sign of water ingression.
Wish I could have said the same of my hydro oil at my first service, it was a tad milky, likely from having to pressure wash from repeatedly sinking in the mud back in my property.
Either way, I used a Mity-Vac kit I had initially purchased for lone wolf brake bleeding.
It came with a small tank to draw fluid into. I think they produce larger evacuation systems and their prices are very reasonable.

https://www.skf.com/binary/301-317342/Mityvac_Catalog_v5.pdf
I was nearly tempted with their vertical tank extraction tool. In fact, I had clicked on the Mity-Vac but then decided against it just because of the vertical tank and one more tool to store that wouldn't fit in my tool box, when I am already out of space until my new building is erected.........

On that front, Mrs. Bear actually is more agreeable to the building as long as she doesn't have to look at it out her kitchen window and so, in her words, "I can still see all the deer and bunnies and the 10 acre field when I look out the kitchen window instead of the side of a building across the yard."

Amazon.com: Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus: Gateway

·
Administrator
16,764 Posts

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I was nearly tempted with their vertical tank extraction tool. In fact, I had clicked on the Mity-Vac but then decided against it just because of the vertical tank and one more tool to store that wouldn't fit in my tool box, when I am already out of space until my new building is erected.........

On that front, Mrs. Bear actually is more agreeable to the building as long as she doesn't have to look at it out her kitchen window and so, in her words, "I can still see all the deer and bunnies and the 10 acre field when I look out the kitchen window instead of the side of a building across the yard."

Amazon.com: Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus: Gateway
Sure hope to see a thread in the Barns & Buildings area soon, I know it will be well thought out and executed.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure hope to see a thread in the Barns & Buildings area soon, I know it will be well thought out and executed.
Such confidence in my capabilities.......I will try not to disappoint the GTT audience.......:good2:

·
Registered
322 Posts
. . . The gear box doesn't have a drain in the bottom of it to completely drain all of the fluid. . . . .
Do like an Etch-a-Sketch. Turn it upside down and shake it. :lol: (Sometimes I just can't help myself.)

(Got called away before I could finish my thought.)

All seriousness aside, it may be possible to lift and let gravity drain thru the side plug. Or even upside down to drain thru the vent plug. I do not know. Just thinking out loud. After all, we spend a lot on pallet forks, Ken's Bolt-On Hooks, etc. Why not use them?

·
Premium Member
791 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I’ve had the Lincoln version for a number of years. Works great for gearboxes, changing power steering pump fluid, etc. I have a smaller diameter piece of tubing that fits inside the one on gun for getting into smaller openings. I hang mine in an old cabinet where it can drip out into a funnel in a mason jar.

8F03BC68-589F-4773-81B6-EE5F5C0211C1.jpeg

·
Administrator
16,764 Posts

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
Yep, the venturi effect.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts