Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 80 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Time for another update before the weekend.

We have been getting a lot of rain which hasn't been a good thing. Since the last update they started getting some of the decking up. They couldn't do all of it but between that and a tarp they were going to try and keep things dry in the house. He didn't cover the valley good enough and the water was coming down the roof, into the valley and then down inside the wall of the kitchen.

He came back out adding more tarps on Saturday but we still had water coming in on Sunday. I went up and added some flashing to the top of the wall. I was able to tuck it under the old shingles and that did the trick. The good news if there can be good news is that below that window is the kitchen sink. So the water mainly went in there. This wall will be an interior wall so it doesn't matter that the insulation is shot. We can pull it out. We are considering moving the sink to a different wall anyhow and taking out this window as it will be inside the house and possibly making it the way to get out to to the mud room/laundry. So if we were going to get water in the house, this was the best place. It is the one window in the house that we didn't replace last fall.

The started working on the sheeting.

Tuesday we had the missing trusses delivered and the crane was scheduled to be back on Wednesday at 10am. Tuesday night a kind of storm moved in. I say kind of as it wasn't a thunderstorm but it was cold, windy and rainy. It was kind of strange. Anyhow Tuesday night at 11:10PM the power goes out. By 5 AM when I am normally leaving for work it still isn't back on. Check the power company's website and no estimate on getting it back. I called into work and took the day off. I had one meeting that I had to be in but I could do it over Skype on my cell phone. Contractors show up at 8 and I inform them no power but I can get them up on generator. The general wasn't impressed. I wheel it out my small generator (Yamaha 3000iSEB) and he asked when was the last time it ran. 2 weeks ago when I was doing some work around here. Remember all our buildings are dead. He asked what special instructions I have for it. I just said I will be here all day. It has gas but I am going to run to the gas station, I need gas for the tractor anyhow and I will top this off first. Besides, no power means I haven't had coffee. I walk over to the generator, turn the key and it fires up. He looks at it.... Dang that thing is quiet. Yeah we use it with our camper. It is an inverter generator so it has cleaner power than the power company as well. I flip it to eco mode and it drops to an idle. He is standing there scratching his head and said ok now my air compressor is going to be louder than that. Yep, it will ramp up as needed but it isn't loud. It has enough gas for 2 hrs. I should be back in 10-15 min. While at the store my phone got an alert from one of my systems that the power was back on. Oh well they were up and running and I had the day off. At least I could watch them get the last of the trusses up.

Just as they were getting ready to lift the last one the wind picks up quite a bit. I am thinking great this is the one that will catch the wind since they already sheeted it. He paused for a minute or two like this and as soon as the wind dropped, up it went into place.

All the trusses are in place and secured.

They then got to work on the decking.

By the end of the day they had most of the decking done and most the sheeting. They came back out yesterday and completed that.

Well all but the section where the patio door will go. I caught a goof up on our part. When we were talking to him about the openings we grabbed the wrong copy of what we have for windows. It was the quote not what we ordered. When we did the original quote for the patio door we did it as a 6' and later a 7'. We showed him the paperwork which had the RO for a 6' door not the 7'. I went over and looked at the opening and was like wait a minute. Spanned my arms and I could touch each side of the RO. Crap I am 6'4" and can touch both sides easily so that is a 6' opening. I called him up and he said it was an easy fix being we caught it now. They already have it just about fixed. A couple final steps then that can get sheeted.

Right now we have the contractor lined up to do the roofing on Tuesday. The plan is to rip the roof off the house and then roof everything. long range forecast looks kind of rainy so we might be shifting the day.

This weekend (Sat and Sun anyhow) look like great weather so we will be busy.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I was out in the garage looking things over the other night. My wife made the comment...

"I think you went a little overboard on the garage..."

Honey there are two times and places you never use the term overboard... When you are on a cruise ship and when you are building a garage. So this is one of them where it simply isn't appropriate...

:laugh:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I was out in the garage looking things over the other night. My wife made the comment...

We have this inside joke with a neighbor couple, and this is when I would hold my hand up with palm facing her, and say "shhh, men are talking"
It's really a (you had to be there) thing that never gets old!

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts

Honey there are two times and places you never use the term overboard... When you are on a cruise ship and when you are building a garage. So this is one of them where it simply isn't appropriate...

It will do if you leave the cars outside! They just take up so much room once the doors come down. Looking good sorry for the weather we went thru that too but snow and froze ground then rain right after they pull the roof off the old building. We had to put the floor down before covering it with plastic they built right on top of later for the 2nd floor. So it was some work to dry it in fast building the 2nd floor and roof above that! They kept the water out and I was up at night sweeping water off the plastic during some heavy rains! DSCF3151.JPG I love your 12/12 roof it will be fun going up on it later.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looking good.
My wife tells everyone I bought a barn that came with a house.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Looks great. My last house the garage had more square footage the hous. That was perfect.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I love your 12/12 roof it will be fun going up on it later.
Actually it is 10/12 pitch but you were close eyeballing it from the photos.

But he will never have to shovel snow off of it!
That was part of the reason for it. The other was that it gives us more head room and usable space in the attic.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Looking good.
My wife tells everyone I bought a barn that came with a house.:thumbup1gif:
Looks great. My last house the garage had more square footage the hous. That was perfect.
Not counting the 15 x 42 car port for the camper we will have about 4500 sqft of combined garage space when done. The house is about 2200 sqft. About half of it will be insulated and heated. The other half cold storage. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
We have 60 squares of shingles going up today. Ran into a couple issues which will push us to tomorrow but they are working on it.

First issue was as they were ripping off the shingles, they discovered a few soft spots, also they said the decking was only 3/8 so not code anyhow. They started making runs to the lumber yard and picked up new decking for the house and the detached garage that is also getting a roof. They said they will submit it as a suplimentary claim to insurance. He said that USAA is good about covering this so we should be fine.

Then when the truck showed up to deliver the shingles, they didn't have a boom truck. It was a semi with one of those forklifts on the back. So they dropped all the shingles on the ground and couldn't put them up on the roof. They are going to have to carry 60 squares up by hand. Glad it isn't my back.

They were saying because they had to hand carry the bundles it will carry over to tomorrow.

I will post some photos later but they were not happy about me snapping a couple photos... :dunno:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thought I would update things again.

Since this is a John Deere site you can just make out my X585 in the garage. I was in there leveling things off a bit.

Back side of the garage. There will be a patio poured here and the large opening will have a patio door with a small deck leading down to the cement pad.

This is inside what is remaining of the old porch. Where I am standing will be the laundry room. Where I am facing will on the other side will be the mud room.

We have been in a holding pattern lately. The weather has been good which is bad for us because we need to get the cement work done inside the garage next. That means get the cement guy here to get the ground in the garage to grade. Then they can get the insulation down floor drains and in floor heat and get him back to pour. He will come back later and do the apron, driveway and patio. He said it was too much work to try and do it all in one shot.

The good news is the cement guy should be here today or tomorrow to get us to grade. What sucks is I am out of town much of next week as my son is at Boy Scout Camp and they want several of us 1st year Dads to be there so there are familiar faces. I already committed to Tuesday-Thursday. So, I will be at camp in the middle of WI with odds are no cell coverage at a stage where it is a little critical. However I don't want to tell them to delay and push the project further out.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hmm, haven't done an update for a while.

Unfortunately that is because not a lot has been done. Since the last report we have gotten the floor leveled. I spoke with the cement guy about the floor drains and he didn't like my idea of a trench drain in the back corner that would tie into the one in the middle. He said I can't get the slope I would need unless I ran it really shallow and that would just result in broken cement. We looked at options and he talked me into hand digging a new pipe to the house and tie into the septic system. That is the right way of doing it anyhow. It is going to be for a sink out there. So I grabbed my heavy duty shovel with a metal handle since I will be digging in dirt that has been undisturbed since at least the 60s. About my 3rd scoop I got zapped pretty hard. What the heck was that... :dunno: I get a 2x4 and knock the shovel out of the ground and grab my probe for detecting hot wires. Nothing. If you remember back to post 12 when the excavator was scraping back some of the top soil in this area we lost power to half the basement. I still haven't had time to figure that out. Partly because all the stuff that was in the detached garage was moved to the basement/tuck under garage because we gutted that building. Well there has to be something in this area and I better figure it out now. Down to the basement. After moving a bunch of stuff around I found this sideways photo of an electrical box that is in the area of where I am digging. There is a conduit running into it but nothing out. I pull the cover and see this.

A black wire with a wire nut that has wire going through the foundation wall and white wire. The other wire nut fell out when I opened the cover. The best I can figure, this hole goes right out to where I was digging and there were wires at one time that went through the foundation to something. This would have been below our deck that we ripped off last summer. So, it couldn't have gone to a GFCI outlet. It would have been underground. However only about 2" down. The wires couldn't have been direct burial wires either. So, at some point, maybe when the porch was installed in the 90s and they built the deck they cut these wires off at the outside of the foundation and never disconnected them in the house. They have been hot out there all this time. Well that has been corrected. I went back to digging my drain line.

Hole through foundation.

Drain line.

Then I was off to Boy Scout Summer Camp with my son.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
I got back from summer camp and they had installed the insulation board, the trench drain and the PEX for the in-floor heat.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Now we have been waiting for cement which has been frustrating. We had the 4th of July when the cement guy was out of town. Then the weeks he has been working, we have had good weather so he is busy knocking out driveways and patios because they can't be poured in the rain where my garage floor can be. We can't do anymore work without the cement so we have been at a stand still. They claim I will have cement by the end of the week but they said that last week as well. :banghead:

As a side note I figured now was a good time to call the insurance company and make an adjustment to my homeowners insurance. We did a full review increasing the coverage on the house by $130K and the accessory buildings by another $100k as well as liability and personal items. He calculated the new bill. It went up about $8/mo. I think I can deal with that. :good2:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I didn't notice this until today, Nice project, hope your cement guy shows up soon..................:good2:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Just read the whole thread through. Great project!

Only issue I see with the 10/12 roof pitch (aside from trying to walk up there), is that all the snow will dump in front of your doors. If the mound is big enough, and the snow viscous enough, you'll have settling under the door jamb and the door won't close until it's cleared.

What's the insulation package going to be?

Doesn't look like you're set up for exterior insulation.

Ventilation for the garage? Warm wet cars all winter means lots of condensation at the dew point in the wall unless it's sealed super tight and actively dehumidified.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Just read the whole thread through. Great project!

Only issue I see with the 10/12 roof pitch (aside from trying to walk up there), is that all the snow will dump in front of your doors. If the mound is big enough, and the snow viscous enough, you'll have settling under the door jamb and the door won't close until it's cleared.

What's the insulation package going to be?

Doesn't look like you're set up for exterior insulation.

Ventilation for the garage? Warm wet cars all winter means lots of condensation at the dew point in the wall unless it's sealed super tight and actively dehumidified.
We went back and forth on the pitch. My wife wanted it that steep. I told her "Just don't expect me to go up there for anything." That said, there really isn't much reason to be up on the roof. At least not there. Combine that with the fact that I am a disabled veteran and one of the biggest issues I have with that is balance problems. The way I look at it is the monthly compensation check I get from that covers me paying someone else to go up on that roof to deal with an ice dam or what ever reason. I don't have any business up there.

The steep pitch was chosen for a couple reasons. Although my wife did comment that now that she sees it in person, it is a lot more roof than she was expecting. For one it gives much more clearance in the attic. That means a crazy amount of space up there. We were considering a bonus room up there but it was $20K more for the rafters and stairs going up there and not much more. The other side benefit, and I know you are in Minnesota as well, but on these steeper pitch roofs, they don't collect snow like a shallower pitch. We have that issue in the front of the house where the tuck under garage is. If course a wet snow will stick up there more than a wet snow but I really wonder how much will collect up there? That is why we didn't go steel roof this time around. I really was concerned about snow sliding off the roof and piling in front of the doors. We do have pretty big overhang so that will push anything that slides off out a bit more. I don't think we will get much snow up against the door. The garage slab is heated and there is a PEX run right up along side the door opening. It is just on the inside of the garage. The garage slab will extend out to the outside of the block area the entire area under the doors will be heated with a PEX run about 6" away. We were originally planning on having a loop out in the apron but that turned into having to heat the entire section which would have been about 1700 sqft of cement "apron". The more I thought about that, the cost of installation and operating it didn't make as much sense. I also was running out of zones on my boiler which could be addressed but I finally just said to skip it. The tractor will live in the 3rd stall in the winter so it isn't like it is a big deal to hop on it and make a quick pass if I get a load of snow drop as I am trying to leave for work.

For insulation we are doing the spray in foam insulation on all walls. I am doing the wall finishing myself and am debating on that. I might be doing a wainscot type finish in there with either steel siding or some other water proof material at least 4' up I am thinking. We will see. The reason for this is in the next few years I can see my parents starting to consider downsizing. One of the things I grew up with was a car wash in the garage. When I was a kid my father built one of those coin operated bay style self car washes. When he sold it he kept one of the spare commercial pressure washers. He has it set up in his basement so it doesn't freeze (garage is heated though) and he ran a pipe up into the garage. The washer has controls on the wand for turning it on/off as well as turning on soap. On the wall he has a toggle switch to select cold/warm/hot. I am staging a place for this and if I get tired of waiting for them to downsize I will just buy one that can take hot water. Not in a rush for it now though. That is going to pump even more humidity in there.

One thing I am planning for but haven't done yet is to finalize the the interior design. You mentioned ventilation for the humidity. That is needed even more for the car wash that is planned. There are a few things that I know. I am plumbing for a commercial sink. Part of the reason for that is that I homebrew. I plan on using part of the space as a brewery. Again that pressure washer will come in handy as will a wainscot as then I can just wash everything down. In addition to that a co-worker was selling a commercial grill/griddle. I bought it from him and it is just sitting in the pole barn right now. One thought on that is out in an outdoor kitchen that will be build on the patio behind the garage in the next year or two. Or I am also considering installing that in the garage near where I set up the brewing equipment. Maybe it will move between the two places. Out there in the summer months and set up inside in the winter. The brewing equipment is going to pump a lot of humidity out as well. Because of that I am going to keep an eye out for a used commercial kitchen hood. That should provide enough ventilation to drop the humidity if needed. We are also staging the garage to add a heat pump. Something like this.

Wall-Mounted Air Conditioner Units | Mitsubishi Electric Cooling & Heating

I want to see how things go the first winter though. I am not sure how much of an issue humidity really will be though. Being we are heating the slab and things get really dry in the winter and we come and go a lot. That means the doors are going to be opening and closing quite a bit. I can see it being more of an issue in the spring but I can address that as needed. Or maybe it is best to just add a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Ah, spray foam will do you well then.

I've been looking into heat pumps for my new shop as well. I don't know that I want to do mini splits, since I have room for ducts, but the same tech can be had in a central system.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Ah, spray foam will do you well then.

I've been looking into heat pumps for my new shop as well. I don't know that I want to do mini splits, since I have room for ducts, but the same tech can be had in a central system.
The thing I find interesting on the mini split is they heat as well as cool. Clearly it won't be for primary heating. That will be done by the in-floor system. What I don't know yet is I have never had in-floor heat before. I have asked operating costs and keep hearing not much. I get the quick change of temp isn't really ideal because of the thermal mass so that brings the question. Do I keep the garage at 40F, 50F or 60F all winter? I am used to forced air garage heater with supplement wood stove in my polebarn. I keep that at 36F. If I have work to do out there some evening I get home, bump the heat to 60F. By the time I go in, change it is pretty warm to start work. I can't do that with in-floor. This is why we are going to play with maybe keeping it at 50F one month and 60F another month and see what our usage looks like. Probably run the experiment in Jan and Feb. If we see a big difference in utility bill it will make it easier to justify 3K on a mini split. We probably would do a two zone as well because we could run on zone in the garage and the other in that laundry/mudroom space that is between the garage and house. We are doing in-floor heat there but can't run AC duct out there very easily.

The biggest problem with the mini-split that I have seen is they don't work very well when it gets really cold out. When outside temps dip below 20-30f they loose efficiency. As you know we get much colder than that. But since I am not relying on it for primary heat that is fine. I just don't know how well it would work for me keeping the garage at 40F or 50F and expect to heat the air with it to 60F for working out there for an evening. Maybe it will be a non-issue as I find the difference between 50-60F is $10/mo. Then I will just leave it at 60F.

61 - 80 of 248 Posts