Green Tractor Talk banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Flyweight, I wish mine was going to be that cheap...I will be pushing $1000 or more by the time the second surveyor comes out and I apply just for the CAD permit. I have already paid the county $250 original permit along with another $175 to my HOA and Drainage district.

This morning however, I called the lady at the county to tell her that Infomap website I see that my "soil" line is between 85-95 ft from my house and the protected area is 105 to 115 ft from my house per their map. So I took some screen shots and talked with her about it. My buildings exterior wall will be 50.5 ft out so this provides a 35-45 ft gap just between the soil line which then equates to 55-65 ft to the protected area.

She told me to send her the screen shots and would talk with her boss. Hopefully, I can get passed without spending $1000 plus....Fingers crossed and on my knees praying.

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Well folks, the main building permit is DONE !!! And only for $25 which seems strange as it was $270 during the approval process. Anyway, now I have to apply for sub permits of electrical and roof......which I guess means I have to attach all of the same documents for the main building permit ??? Not really sure so I have sent emails. I swear, they make it so difficult as all of this was expressed during the main building permit process. Damn county.

Registered
When I was building our house, the county tried to claim it was in the flood plane because of a little creek that only flows when it rains. I had to point out on the elevation charts that while the lower corner of the property (11.3 acres) was correctly designated as in the 100 year flood plane, the house was 25 feet above that level and if we got that much water, about half of Orange County, NC would be flooded... They said, "Oh, our bad" and we proceeded without issues.

Registered
Hopefully that will be the last of your red tape BS!

Registered
Discussion Starter #26
Today all permits are completed. NO extra money laid out either. I got an Economic Development Incentive for $42 to pay for the extra roof permit...Whoa !!!

And so the process begins.......

Monday, electrician is meeting here at house with county guy to talk about burying my main electrical line and new meter placement. I want it on the new garage but code my not allow it as its not a lived in structure...Which would mean line will be buried under new garage unless we can come up with another solution

Reactions: flyweight

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
Update: 4 loads of dirt arriving tomorrow to level the pad out and the footers will start to be dug along with electrical run dug. Burying the main electric line is going to be a bit of a challenge as part of my concrete drive will have to come up due to not being able to bury power under the building. I suggested a junction box on both sides so that if there ever was an issue, you could then just go up and over but no luck. Meter has to be on the house and main line can go under driveways so that is the path.

Should start to have some photos tomorrow evening...

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
Well not much happened today but I took all of the grass out I wanted to try and keep and the guys came to spread out the dirt. They also took out a 8ft x 10ft section of my existing concrete pad due to needing to run the electrial under ground. It can not go under my building but it can go under the concrete...
Then the heavens opened up so it was game over for the day....

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Forms and footers started yesterday

Registered
Discussion Starter #30
Footers dug, rebar in place, termite treatment completed. Inspector coming tomorrow. Will pour footers and slab early next week.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
Concrete scheduled for in the am.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
6:45 this morning the first load on site

Third load going down by 7:30

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Pad completed. Will be early next week before blocks start going up.

Reactions: flyweight

Premium Member
All I can say is what the hell, glad I live in the country. HOAs are evil.
Depends!

I am a Treasurer of a HOA. Here are are rules! If the town allows it we allow it! The Only thing we care about is that you pay your dues or we wont give you a letter so you can get a permit from the town and $210 a year is not a lot of money and I have at least 15 CEO's living in a 35 House subdivision on 2 to 4 acre lots so they can afford $210 a year to try and keep the roads Up. 4 acre Lots pay $385 a year $100 goes toward roads Nobody want to raise the dues! Well there In for a surprise once I start having paving done that $47,000 we have in the Bank will go quick. I use to live In Unincorporated county! You Built first and worried about the Permit( ie sheds and fences) In about 10 years and the fine was just the cost of the permit House additions & driveways you needed to get the Permit right away. The county Inspectors would stop by if they saw that kind of work.

Only thing I hate about this town You have to put a $5,000 bond down if Your getting a concrete truck in. Our town It's for the Main road through town which in My case the concrete companies know about it weight limits and don't use it. But I still have to pay the bond which I think is BS. They can enter our subdivision without touching that road. You get the Money Back after the final Inspection. Going to have a 10 X 37 ft slab Poured under My Barn lean to $3,500 for that But it will cost me $8,500 up front for the work :mad:(y)

Registered
Discussion Starter #35
Block delivered today while I was at work....

Registered
Maybe it will be fine but is it a good idea to have that much weight on new cement? I would have had them put it on the dirt... We delayed pouring our apron yet again because they said no driving on it for a month. Not parking, just driving across it.

Reactions: Guja0501

Registered
Discussion Starter #37
Dumpster, mortar mix and sand on site just now as well

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Maybe it will be fine but is it a good idea to have that much weight on new cement? I would have had them put it on the dirt... We delayed pouring our apron yet again because they said no driving on it for a month. Not parking, just driving across it.
I asked my concrete guy the same question about the weight but he said its ok and normal. I was a bit shocked but as they will be putting up 14 ft high concrete block walls right on the outer edge where the footer is 20" deep and roughly 3 ft wide plus the 6 " of pad I guess its cured enough to handle it.....

Reactions: sennister

Registered
Check out the hospital channel on youtube. Long term time laps of a hospital going up. It's how I track weeks now, on week 25. :) They start using the new concrete floors the new day after the pour.

Registered
I asked my concrete guy the same question about the weight but he said its ok and normal. I was a bit shocked but as they will be putting up 14 ft high concrete block walls right on the outer edge where the footer is 20" deep and roughly 3 ft wide plus the 6 " of pad I guess its cured enough to handle it.....
I guess he is the expert. I get that they don't want to dump them in one spot and have to carry them but it seems like a lot of weight and on the left side it looks like they made a dirt apron to drive something right up there to set the blocks.

Like I said, we delayed pouring our apron because we couldn't drive across it for a month. We wanted to wait until after the big weekend. We have to cross it to get back to the back yard where the campers are and if I want to park in the garage. It wasn't like I was planning on parking on it. Our cement guy kept saying no way. It is a different climate around here and possibly a different mix so who knows.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts