Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #41
I guess he is the expert. I get that they don't want to dump them in one spot and have to carry them but it seems like a lot of weight and on the left side it looks like they made a dirt apron to drive something right up there to set the blocks.

Like I said, we delayed pouring our apron because we couldn't drive across it for a month. We wanted to wait until after the big weekend. We have to cross it to get back to the back yard where the campers are and if I want to park in the garage. It wasn't like I was planning on parking on it. Our cement guy kept saying no way. It is a different climate around here and possibly a different mix so who knows.
Yep, the block delivery guy did that...I can not wait to see if he damaged the edge of the concrete since he didn't really pack that down much before driving up on there. Needless to say, I was not to happy to see it that way either because now I will have a lot of extra work to clean up the concrete in order to put epoxy down on the floor after the building is completed. I am hoping a good concrete wash will clean it up.

Registered
I will have a lot of extra work to clean up the concrete in order to put epoxy down on the floor after the building is completed.
Are you doing the epoxy?

You are going to want to wait a good 6 months from now before considering that. At least around here with our cement that is the rule of thumb. The companies that come in to do it won't touch new cement until it has had 6 mo of cure time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #43
Started on the block today. Weather stopped progress at around 6ft.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and Guja0501

Registered
Discussion Starter #44
Are you doing the epoxy?

You are going to want to wait a good 6 months from now before considering that. At least around here with our cement that is the rule of thumb. The companies that come in to do it won't touch new cement until it has had 6 mo of cure time.
There does not seem to be a rule of thumb here as the concrete cures quicker as evidence by putting the block on top of it. It will be several months before I due it anyway since I will be waiting on trusses at this point.

Reactions: Gizmo2

Registered
Discussion Starter #45
Well been outside walking the floor this evening trying to plan out where things are going now that the walls have started going up. Realized like everything else its already about 4 ft narrower than I should have built it......馃が馃が I mean I can make it work but I should have gone 40ft wide instead of 36ft to ensure that extra bit of room.
Hopefully I can come up with some good space saving solutions after its completed.
I have got to quit buying toys.......

Premium Member
Pallet racking and pallet forks!

Registered
Discussion Starter #47

Registered
Discussion Starter #48
10'8" finished today. Now they can pour(fill) all the block were the rebar is, up to that point. So they should be back on Fri to put up the other 4 rows to get me to 14ft high walls. Plus the electrical has not happened thanks to the electric company dragging there feet....

Premium Member
Going up is not the issue. Not having enough floor space is.....
No one will be able to help you with that, that鈥檚 already been decided!

Mine is 40鈥檟80鈥 with 16鈥 sidewalls, floor space is a premium!

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
Guys came today to do the first pour down of concrete. Used a small pull behind pump. Blockers will be back tomorrow or Saturday to put the rest of the block up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #51
Final 4 ft going up today. Back and sides are done and the lintel's are in for the final push on the front. Another concrete pour down on Tues or Wed. Trusses will be on site Wed afternoon. NO eta on when the roof is getting started. If I have time. I might start painting on the inside up around the top so I do not have to worry about getting any on the trusses.....

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
Final pour and hurricane strapping in place. As you can see from the photos, we are still waiting on Power Company to come and pull main power under ground. I am not too happy about the very slow response from them....
Trusses should be here today.

Registered
I'm sure there is a three little piggies joke in there somewhere...

Looking good so far! Keep up with the pictures 馃嵖馃憤

Registered
Great progress and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Reactions: fjjd18

Premium Member
I have a 3 door garage and I rarely use the pass thru, I park different things nose in on all three doors.

rob

Registered
Discussion Starter #56
Well trusses were delivered today while I was working. Also finally have a time for next week on Wed for the power company to come and pull wire underground. They have been working on support work only as they sent a lot of folks to Louisiana to help out with the recovery. I am glad they sent people to help but it has slowed my progress down which sucks. However, I would rather that be the cause of the time lost since they were helping those in much greater need than my garage build.

Reactions: ryegrass

Registered
Discussion Starter #57
New electrical panel installed and passed inspection on the house for the 400 amp upgrade. Now just waiting on the electric company to come and pull wires. Hopefully it will be today as I am running on the portable generator which only handles about 1/2 the house with NO A/C. If they do not come, I will go and get a portable that I can plug in to keep one room cool.
As you can see where the old panel was, when the stucco guy comes, I will have him fix this now exposed area. That has not seen the light of day since 2006.

Reactions: ryegrass

Registered
I got lucky when I upgraded from 150A service to 400A. We have overhead lines. I put it a request to drop the lines so the meter could be upgraded. They didn't need to drop the lines to do this but I had a tree that was dead that I needed to take down and it was too close to the lines.

The electrician came out and cut the power lines when they were still hot. He had the old meter box out and was working on the new mast by the time the power company showed up. They dropped the lines and he said to call the 1-800 number and they will send someone by at some point to hook us back up. I had the saw and everything ready for the tree, I dropped that, and cut it into 8' chunks. I looked over to the electricians and it looked like they were done. I checked with him as he was pulling out his phone to call the 1-800 number. I point out that the power company truck is just sitting out on the road. So I walk over and ask if he can hook us back up? He looked at me funny. Then asked if we were done? Yep. Dang, it hasn't even been 15 min. He pulled down the driveway and hooked us back up. It was about a week later a guy shows up. I just happened to be home and he said he is the electrical inspector. He goes over to inspect the work but the utility company already sealed up everything. He asked what was done and a couple questions and was fine so he signed off on it, but he couldn't see anything. I want to say we were without power for maybe an hour total and kind of went from 150A to 400A. I say kind of because it wasn't until several months later that they came back and actually replaced the meter. They came out and swapped my 200A meter for a 400A one. It was kind of neat seeing a meter with pretty much all 0s. They did it while I was at work so I didn't have a chance to take a pic until it had been running for a while.

Old Vs New Meter Box

Reactions: KennyP and ryegrass

Registered
Discussion Starter #59
Well still waiting on power company......Sennister, here in our county, the power company has to pull the new line as they are responsible for the power from the pole to the meter. Plus over the years I have heard that people were going ahead and pulling the wire via electrician and hooking it up without the power company. I guess a lot of folks have been hurt and/or caused damage to the power companies equipment so now you can not have anyone do anything with the power to the house.
I have discovered some flaws in my generator setup as it has not really been tested long term like this but I will fix after power gets back on. Looks like I have a missing circuit from my well power as I do not have any power to my lights and filters out there but the well works......And my in house refrigerator is causing issues with the GFI on that wall causing it to trip. I tried to directly power it into a 20 amp plug on my generator and it trips that too. So it seems to be drawing A LOT of power for some reason. It only 3 years old so you would think it was "energy" rated.

Registered
Well still waiting on power company......Sennister, here in our county, the power company has to pull the new line as they are responsible for the power from the pole to the meter. Plus over the years I have heard that people were going ahead and pulling the wire via electrician and hooking it up without the power company. I guess a lot of folks have been hurt and/or caused damage to the power companies equipment so now you can not have anyone do anything with the power to the house.
Around here it is a mixed bag. Technically they are responsible for the power lines from the transformer to the power plant. They however also will do all hookups from the meter to the transformer but we get to pay for the wire. My neighbor built a new pole barn about 15 years ago and wanted a separate meter. So he buried the power in conduit and ran it up the pole but didn't hook it up. He just left 3' or so of wire hanging there and they came buy and did the hookup. We can't make the connection either but I don't see why they make us pay for the connection from the transformer to the meter. The meter is their meter so why don't they have responsibility all the way to the meter like it is for you. My electrician had to install the box, install the mast and run wires up the mast and then leave them hang. Then the power guy trimmed them and made the splice connection.

In our build I could have gone a separate meter but, I didn't want two meters as you have a charge for them. The new garage is a second panel (not a sub panel). The house panel (150A) runs into the meter box as does the 200A in the garage. I also questioned the wires going from the meter to the utility pole. They said that because they are overhead and there is air around the wires, they stay cooler so there was no need to upgrade the wires even though we went from 150A service to 400A. I guess the utility companies don't have to follow all the rules that the electricians do.

They did say if we had underground power then we might have had to upgrade the wire. They did try and talk me into upgrading to underground power. It is about a 70' run to the pole and I want to say they were going to charge $700-1000 to bury it. In the end I didn't do it because I didn't see what the point was. It is above ground power all through our neighborhood and there are trees everywhere. Why bother to bury the last 70'. If a tree is going to take out something it has always been somewhere else.

In my first shot above that was the electrician cutting the power lines up near the mast. He did have me go to the main panel and cut the power and he pulled the meter out of the socket. This was more to protect things in my house as he was cutting the wires.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts