Green Tractor Talk banner

101 - 120 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Well progress and 1 door away from getting final inspection.....

Garage doors are now all in and gutters installed today. Should be doing walk through door tomorrow and then I can submit for final next week...Still of coarse have paint touch-ups, lighting, rock, etc....But I am THIS close!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Looks beautiful! That is a nice set-up right there!

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
453 Posts
That looks really good! Thanks for sharing, it was nice watching this project.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
(y) (y) (y)

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
13,194 Posts
Great looking garage, fjjd18. (y)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Thanks to all whom have watched and commented. It has been a pretty big challenge during the so called pandemic and of coarse was longer on time and over on $$$ but what else is new on any project.

I look forward to posting more pics as I get things done on the inside.

And I look forward to seeing others whom are tackling the building as I wish I could have done more on mine instead of paying others, but I know my limits !!!

Thanks again to all .

Brendan(fjjd18)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Got my walk thru done yesterday so next week I should be able to apply for a final inspection. Since this is in concrete block, there is only room for 1X which means you have to anchor into the block so I used 6 4" tapcons and then shorter wood screws in the corners just for extra support and strength. I also reinforced around the lock area so the dead bolt will be in more than just the door frame. Also as you will see in the last photo, this is an impact steel door per hurricane code here. I will finish the trim out after the inspection as the inspector wants to see how its anchored

Reactions: Levi and etcallhome

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,600 Posts
Tapcons, best thing since sliced bread.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Nice looking shop. When I see all the permits and inspections you had to go through it leaves me shaking my head. Since I live outside of town there are no permits or inspections. I want things done correctly but it seems like too many hoops to jump through. I guess that’s called personal responsibility where I live.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Tapcons, best thing since sliced bread.
(y) (y) (y) (y)

but the hendages are on the outside anyone can just pop them out and walk right into the garage.
Not very safe , and someone sure wasn't thinking putting the hinges on the outside.
Either the architect had never designed a building before, the builder never installed a door before , this was the first job for the building inspector , or just no one gave a hoot when they built your building.
Either way I would make them come back and install the correct door.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
644 Posts
but the hendages are on the outside anyone can just pop them out and walk right into the garage.
Label says it's an outswing door which I think has non-removeable pins in the hinges.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Not very safe , and someone sure wasn't thinking putting the hinges on the outside.
Either the architect had never designed a building before, the builder never installed a door before , this was the first job for the building inspector , or just no one gave a hoot when they built your building.
Either way I would make them come back and install the correct door.
One of my favorite things about the internet is the wonderful compliments you get from others so how am I going to put this nicely....
Thank You. Thank you for telling the guy whom requested the outswing door to the architect(me), thank you for telling the guy whom picked up the door at the lumber store(me) and thank you from the guy whom actually installed the door(me). He really appreciates the compliments given from those wonderful folks quoted above on this forum.

Now, in my limited 50 yrs on earth, I have never heard a burglary report stating that they popped the hinge pins to get into a door.... Also if they really wanted what was in my new garage, they could have just taken it before I put the garage up. 90% of what is in my garage was outside for 2-3 yrs in just a covered shed, lean-to or my back porch with NO doors at all. Plus there is still stuff in my VERY open lean-to and shed that they can take at anytime they want.

Here in Florida where the winds can reach 150mph due to a hurricane, an in-swing door with the hinges on the inside where someone can not magically "pop the hinges" will not withstand this much force and pressure causing a weakness in the structure. I would prefer to have the pressure ratings and the safety from the hurricane than the very very slight chance that someone is going to pop the hinges.

And one more thing, not that its truly needed here, but there will be alarm contacts on that door so no matter how someone should open it will set off the alarm which is attached to the house alarm which will wake me up, alert the police, wind up on video surveillance and then most likely wind up with a gun pointed at them. So I say bring on the hinge poppers !!

Thank you again for all of the wonderful compliments. I truly appreciate it. Happy New Year 2021

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Label says it's an outswing door which I think has non-removeable pins in the hinges.
But on a serious note, a quick follow-up with photos and thank you Mark for knowing what he is doing, "Thanks Mark" you are correct. It is an outswing door and the hinges are capped at both ends so you can not remove them. Here are the photos of one of the hinges on my outswing door.... I apologize if I was a bit "harsh" in my previous post but sometimes things that people say without thinking drive me a bit nuts !! And hopefully you have learned something important about inswing vs outswing doors.

·
Premium Member
6,658 Posts
But on a serious note, a quick follow-up with photos and thank you Mark for knowing what he is doing, "Thanks Mark" you are correct. It is an outswing door and the hinges are capped at both ends so you can not remove them. Here are the photos of one of the hinges on my outswing door.... I apologize if I was a bit "harsh" in my previous post but sometimes things that people say without thinking drive me a bit nuts !! And hopefully you have learned something important about inswing vs outswing doors.

View attachment 770331
View attachment 770332
I have out-swing doors on my building as well. I didn't want the door swing to interfere with the internal space or objects inside. My hinges are just like yours and were installed in 1992.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,649 Posts
I apologize if I was a bit "harsh" in my previous post but sometimes things that people say without thinking drive me a bit nuts !!
No apology necessary. I agree with you! I just can't say it diplomatically. Was going to but RandyM kept me from doing so. He told me a long time ago to not pay attention to what bugs you. Don't always do what he says but it's been so long since I've seen or heard from him I thought I'd better do as he once told me.

Don't disappear on us RandyM, glad you're back.

·
Premium Member
6,658 Posts
No apology necessary. I agree with you! I just can't say it diplomatically. Was going to but RandyM kept me from doing so. He told me a long time ago to not pay attention to what bugs you. Don't always do what he says but it's been so long since I've seen or heard from him I thought I'd better do as he once told me.

Don't disappear on us RandyM, glad you're back.
Gee Levi, I didn't think anyone read my dribble on here. Are you sure it was me that said that? Thanks for the kind words.

Reactions: Levi

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,600 Posts
I apologize if I was a bit "harsh" in my previous post but sometimes things that people say without thinking drive me a bit nuts !! And hopefully you have learned something important about inswing vs outswing doors.
I do believe you were a bit harsh. Most all members here try to help each other. However, circumstances/situations/conditions do not always present themselves to readers of posts.
We are all learning.
Thanks for stepping up. (y) (y)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,649 Posts
Gee Levi, I didn't think anyone read my dribble on here. Are you sure it was me that said that? Thanks for the kind words.
It was through a PM when you told me...I think. I wasn't sure how to respond and mentioned it when you gave me some words of wisdom. I try to do it like you said but sometimes it's just hard. And yes, I do read your "dribble". I have to learn some how. 😂
BTW...You're welcome!! And "Thank you" for the words of wisdom. (y)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I could be wrong, but even if the pins were able to be removed, the door must be open to separate the hinges from each other. Notice the curve on the hinge mounted to the door frame. The hinges will not clear each other without the door open.

101 - 120 of 133 Posts