Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I priced out and almost ordered a new gator yesterday. It was this:

855D with Power Steering
Bench Seat
OPS with Rear Screen
Power Lift & Front Brush Guard
Yellow Steel Wheels

I am able to buy this at dealer cost and I cannot discuss price, but lets talk retail. It totaled $14,532.00. I thought this was it. I am missing the roof and front windshield but they are kind of expensive for what you get.

1. So this morning I was thinking, for 250 more I can get the polyurea bed rather than painted. I was going to put monstaliner in it, but... I think that it would be smart just to order it?

2. Its an $800 dollar upgrade to go to the diesel. I use this almost daily, but for short periods. I like the diesel as I have oil and diesel on tap, but the diesel is 23hp and does 30mph (not and issue) and if they are the same, they are loud. The gas model is 50hp, does 40mph and probably sucks fuel. BUT, I could take the gas model to the sand dunes if I wanted as I think it has a bit more "fun" factor?

I am unsure on what to do since I could save 800 bucks or I could get the other options I want. Your thoughts?

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Have you had the opportunity to drive either a new gas or diesel model? That might help you in your decision. I think I would lean towards the diesel myself. But I love diesels...

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I too, enjoy diesels, but I also know that running them for short light trips is not great. I have to guess I am putting 30 hours a year on this machine, and its used every other day at a minimum, so 365/2= 182.5 30/182.5=.16 .16*60=9 minutes per use average.

I think that could be average as I use it to make a crop check, trap check, and take feed to the blind. When I spray, it could be used for an hour at a time, but that's it. I spray the field and my yard with it.

I priced out a gas one and I would get the $800 dollar aluminum wheel and Maxis tire package with the gas model. So the price is the same between the two. One is 50hp and does 44mph, fuel injected and sucks fuel but is more fun and can be used as a "toy" also, the diesel is great and sips fuel, but is half the hp, slower, not as much fun and if it breaks, costs me 4 times what the gas model does to fix.

I think I know where a gas model is, so I might try and drive it today.

My diesel is fast enough for the field, but it does not have the power to run sand dunes. I have been stuck and it been unable to move the rear tires in high range and barely in low range. My quad has more torque to "spin" tires than the diesel gator.

Part of me says the tires would be worth it, as my current gator had air leaks in the tires all the time. The cheap tires they run on these suck! But, the diesel is nice, but is it. If it was a 26 hp gas and a 23 hp diesel, the choice is easy. Here the diesel is less than half the hp of the gas..... :unknown:

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
I too, enjoy diesels, but I also know that running them for short light trips is not great. I have to guess I am putting 30 hours a year on this machine, and its used every other day at a minimum, so 365/2= 182.5 30/182.5=.16 .16*60=9 minutes per use average.
Running any engine for short periods is bad, worse on gas engines. The exhaust byproducts and moisture produced with a cold gasoline engine is much more harmful than the same scenario with a diesel. Diesels just don't produce the same amount of moisture. It's not optimal either way you look at it.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I too use my Gator in short periods. Over the last couple days I've used my gator at least 4 hours a day taking boards off a fence row getting ready to pull them out. In the same time I don't think I'd have much more than 15 minutes to a half hour of run time as most of the time I'm off of it. I think at last check I have 340 hours on it and it's 7 years old which is about 50 hours per year. I'm not actually running this machine as much, but overall work time with it is much greater than any other I own, I can double or tripple that amount for when I'm off of it with the key off. For me it's all about the joy of the diesel - I wouldn't trust the gas to be as powerful, and according to the specs, it is much thirstier than the diesel. We do have a member here, forgive me I forgot who it was, who owns both the 825i and a 855D, maybe he'll be able to give you some more insight, I'll look around for who that was.

EDIT: Gizmo is correct, jfoi has both the 625i and 855D :good2: (please pardon my forgetting of your name :hide: )

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link. I remember the thread. I am stuck with the thoughts of do I need the diesel or is it a "just because" want. Its not like power steering to me, that is needed. :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,023 Posts
Heavy duty work, long hours = diesel
Work, short hours, fun = gas
Take the leftover money and buy fun stuff.
IMO!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So on lunch I drove an 825i with power steering. It was nice but it sounded like I was driving a Honda civic with a fart can muffler.

The big difference between the new and old model is how smooth the clutch is. It was nice. Still unsure what to do.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
If your not maxing out and just using it to go check the crops and so forth, the gas is fine. For me, I'll take the diesel. I don't use mine to full load a lot, but I can think of a lot of times my HPX diesel has provided so much more power than my older 4x2 and 6x4 gassers, but of course your looking in a whole different league of machines than them. The biggest deterrent for me in the 825i would be the speed, just seems like with the higher gear ratio, you would loose a lot of the low end torque that gas engines lack anyway - that and going 25 on my HPX is bumpy enough, bump it up to 50 and I might fly out of it!

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
I would get the diesel. That's my vote. If I were to buy a gas version I would try the 625i. If I wanted gas and fast, I would try the new 850 hot rod Gator..

$250 sounds like a lot to bedliner such a small bed, they do pickups for $400 and the're four times as big. I see no need for the rear screen.My Mule had one and I took it off. Not having tried any of the seats, I like the LOOK of the high buckets. $800 for bigger wheels and tires! :lol:I bet you can do better aftermarket, but then you did not quote dealer cost, but MSRP

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I am getting closer. I am not doing the bench or the high back. The standard seat gives me more leg room. Important to me as I am taller. I am down to how important are the upgraded tires and a possible half windshield.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Administrator
20,350 Posts
Where are we with the gas vs. diesel thing?:unknown:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We are here:

855D with Power Steering
Bench Seat
OPS with Rear Screen
Power Lift & Front Brush Guard
Yellow Steel Wheels

but looking for a front windshield and roof.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
Thought your said no to the bench seat:unknown:
Have you driven one with a roof? I hear (pun intended) they are louder with a roof
Any gearing changes with the different.tires sizes? I doubt it.

Bet you are going with JD green and yellow. Myself I want olive and black. I don't like the camo at all, maybe I would with a different pattern.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
With my homemade version of the cab, I take the doors off in the summer so I have a roof and windshield left. I really don't like it. The windshield just gets dirty and hard to see out of and the roof is rather pointless. The full cab is nice in the winter, but I prefer nothing in the summer. When the cab was being made the OROPS was outside of their shop and somebody took it thinking it was scrap, if I still had the option, it would be on in summer without the windshield/roof.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
I agree with Martian on the cab. I have a Curtis cab on my Gator. I love it in the winter or the rain, but any other time it's a bit annoying. The windshield gets dirty, and the cab frame on my Gator is just one more thing for me to bump into getting in and out of the machine. My biggest gripe is the noise increase. Even without the doors on, the windshield and back glass increase the noise level by at least half.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I agree with Martian on the cab. I have a Curtis cab on my Gator. I love it in the winter or the rain, but any other time it's a bit annoying. The windshield gets dirty, and the cab frame on my Gator is just one more thing for me to bump into getting in and out of the machine. My biggest gripe is the noise increase. Even without the doors on, the windshield and back glass increase the noise level by at least half.
I forgot all about noise - ever since I put the cab on it was like an amplifier. Not at all like the cabs you find on tractors! I'd skip it, if you really want the windshield and roof, I'd get the deluxe ROPS. It's a lot better set up for wipers and a full cab eventually, but it's more money, if it were me, I'd skip it entirely.

·
Premium Member
7,504 Posts
I forgot all about noise - ever since I put the cab on it was like an amplifier. Not at all like the cabs you find on tractors! I'd skip it, if you really want the windshield and roof, I'd get the deluxe ROPS. It's a lot better set up for wipers and a full cab eventually, but it's more money, if it were me, I'd skip it entirely.
That's why I mentoned it. The noise may not be worth it. I would go with a soft top for the times you get caught in the rain. A windshield would take the fun out of off road cruising.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No bench seat was ordered. I made a mistake when I copied and pasted what I ordered over to my last post. No top or windshield at this point either.

Should be here before Sept 5th......

1 - 20 of 37 Posts