Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The big reveal was today... any first impressions?

Personally, I don't like the looks of the Chevy at all. The GMC looks good, but I've never been a fan of the square fenders, and they are even worse now. The interior looks much better than before and more truck like. I think they are definitely an improvement, but not the game changer that they were talked up to be. Hopefully they do well for themselves! I'll be more interested in the HD's when they come out though...

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I'd take one of each. Full disclosure I'm a GM guy thou.... This last run with the "Leather" interior never really looked good. The cloth seat trucks had a better look to them. All the Tahoes had the same interior as the "leather" trucks and I thought it looked like an old car interior. I'm glad they stepped it up. My buddy got a new F-150 and his interior is SHARP.

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
Hmmm! I don't care for the squared off look either,but I think this new Chevy just might grow on me. To me it definitely looks much better than the last few years for sure. Hopefully I'll be retiring my trusty '98 K1500 next July. I was ready to jump ship and go Ford. Hard to do,when you've been bowtie all your life,but the F150 looked so much better than the Chevy. It still may be better looking,but like I stated,I think this new one don't look too bad.:)

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
I am a GM guy too. Gonna take me a while to get used to that. If ever.

·
Administrator
17,496 Posts
I read someplace that they are dropping the diesel in the LT truck lineup? Is that true?

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
I read someplace that they are dropping the diesel in the LT truck lineup? Is that true?
I don't know Ken. That would mean you wouldn't be able to get a diesel in a 3/4 ton?:unknown:

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I read that too,but, GM and Dodge just came out with new 1/2 ton trucks. The info on the GMs was for the 2014 model year. More often than not the 1/2 tons get up dated first.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
There was a lot of talk about the 1/2 ton getting a baby D-max. That dried up when GM starting dropping lines and departments. There are a TON of 3/4 and 1 Ton D-maxes on the road. I think it'd be hard pressed to go with out one. In my eyes I see almost as many Diesel trucks as I do 1/2 tons.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be awesome!

I read this article a couple days ago. It says there's the possibility, but they think they are more likely to show up in the Canyon's/Colorado's, which I think would be a huge segment miss. There are a lot more people buying a 1500 than a compact, and a lot more people would love to have a small diesel in a 1500. We'll have to wait and see
GM Exec Hints at New Diesel for Trucks - PickupTrucks.com News

Ford announced they are doing a 'baby' Powerstroke for their commercial van lineup, which I hope will transfer to the F150 eventually. I saw that there was a Ram spotted filling up with diesel the other day behind one of the new Grand Cherokee diesels, which are also supposed to becoming stateside. I for one love to see more and more diesel options come available, it may be more expensive than gas, but given the choice I'll drive a diesel every time.

·
Administrator
17,496 Posts
My comment above was mis-inerpreted unfortunately.

What I read was that they are NOT going to offer a diesel option in the 1500, 2500, or 3500 series trucks in 2014.

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
Seems odd as most diesels I see are LT's..... Look at Ford and how many King Ranch Diesels you see out there.
That really is kind of backasswards,but then again, there are alot of things that the auto makers do that is against logic.
I think they ought to do the exact opposite. Do away with the gas engine all together,and make everything diesel.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What I read was that they are NOT going to offer a diesel option in the 1500, 2500, or 3500 series trucks in 2014.
Oh, gotcha.. Haven't heard that. We all know GM likes to hand away their market share, but even this would be over the top for GM. The Duramax/Allison is a great set-up for anyone who's never had it, and you gain a lot of MPG's/performance with the Dmax, so it would be crazy of GM to do that, but who knows!

·
Registered
33 Posts
No diesel then why make the 3500 ? However with the sales of the Duramax motor and Allison transmission, I highly doubt Chevrolet would do that.

In 2014, 13 vehicles will no have a diesel option....

·
Super Moderator
5,491 Posts
No diesel then why make the 3500 ? However with the sales of the Duramax motor and Allison transmission, I highly doubt Chevrolet would do that.

In 2014, 13 vehicles will no have a diesel option....

Do you happen to know which? There was " talk" that GM has resurrected the idea of a diesel option in their 1/2 ton p/u's.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
GM dropped the Big Block a couple years ago didn't they? The 8.1 I think. If that's the case what would they have left for the 2500 and 3500? The 6.0 is a great motor, but it isn't going to be winning any towing competitions. I do agree GM can piss away some good products. Police Caprice. Pontiac. ect ect.....

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
GM dropped the Big Block a couple years ago didn't they? The 8.1 I think. If that's the case what would they have left for the 2500 and 3500? The 6.0 is a great motor, but it isn't going to be winning any towing competitions. I do agree GM can piss away some good products. Police Caprice. Pontiac. ect ect.....

Yes, the 8.1 is gone. With the 4.3 rear end the 6.0 is pretty comparable in terms of conventional trailering though. When it comes to fifth wheel though, the Duramax/Allison blows it out of the water. There is no way GM will drop the diesel option when people are asking for more diesel options....... I hope!

·
Premium Member
14,371 Posts
According to Chevy Forum there is a 4.3 a 5.3 and 6.2 Three gas engine..... =no mention of a diesel.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
According to Chevy Forum there is a 4.3 a 5.3 and 6.2 Three gas engine..... =no mention of a diesel.
They don't offer a diesel option in the 1500 light duties... We are talking about the heavy duties, ie 2500 and 3500, which GM offers the Duramax/Allison.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Duramax/allison combo is here to stay with gm. most people dont remember the 6.5 Detroit in some mid 90's GM 1500's as a engine option. So for GM, Dodge, or ford to offer a diesel option in 1500's it would not be a "first of its kind thing". I think that GM will eventually offer a diesel option but with the epa changing regulations every 4 years on the diesels its just to much R&D to make a profit right now because that would mean designing and testing two emission systems on two different engines 4.5 duramax 6.6 duramax every four years so i believe they are waiting for things to slow down with emissions regulations. Saying GM going to get rid of the Diesel option in HD's in like saying john deere is going to make all their new tractors run on steam.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts