Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Purchasing a new 3038E for my 14 acre property.

Many questions... Wheel Spacers (hilly property), Best Tiller Value, Best Rotary Cutter Value... and just general knowledge.

I know there are topics that are triggers for some so I will search the site for previous posts..lol.

Constructive input is Always Welcome.

Productive First Day!

Thanks!
Rod

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

Wheel spacers and fluid filled tires recommended! Brotek or Bora spacers are most common brands.

Tiller and Rotary cutters as part of deere finance is a really great value! If buying after the fact, I've had no complaints with my tiller and RC from tractor supply! Saved a lot of money buying on sale too!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jimmy! Yup - got the Fluid in the tires... Good info on the wheel spacers.
I was wondering about the TSC implements.. Do you get good depth on the Rotary Tiller?
Good to hear you are happy with them.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,828 Posts
Welcome to GTT

Reactions: wrjames2

·
Registered
319 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor and welcome to GTT. I thought wheel spacers were not recommended for the E series and would void your warranty if used.

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
Welcome from Central Ohio

·
Premium Member
14,222 Posts
Welcome @wrjames2

Congratulations on the new tractor.

Wheel spacers are not recommended for the 3 series tractors.
While not recommended, many use them. The general conses is if you don't torture test the machine you won't have an issue.

It is an individual choice IMO. Weigh the typical use of the machine and weigh the risk factors of (1) potential damage to the rear axle vs. (2) potential damage to you and the machine in a rollover.

I have hilly property & a 3R. Tires are filled and I have one set of weights on the rear plus plenty of ballast. I also have a backhoe sub frame. If or when I need chains, I'll be installing a set of 1" spacers.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Welcome to GTT from SE PA!!

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Welcome to GTT from Wisconsin. Congrats on your new tractor.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Welcome to GTT from S Central NY. Great bunch of folks here with tons of knowledge and willingness to help.
Congratulation on the new machine.
Pictures are always nice . . . .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you get good depth on the Rotary Tiller?
Most tillers suitable for the tractor's size/power are capable of 6-8 inch deep work. In my area of VA, I first ran through the area many times with a disc harrow to expose the softball (and larger) sized rocks. My TSC-purchased Tarter brand RT does fine incorporating cover crops each Spring.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,192 Posts
Welcome and congrats on new purchase. 👍

Reactions: flyweight

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,802 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to GTT.......A few issues to be aware of with rear 3ph rough cut mowers.

1. They tend to get moisture / water into the gear boxes, often the vent is the source. Whether new or used, make sure to carefully check the gearbox fluid for any signs of milky fluid, which would indicate water or moisture. If you find such an issue, do what you can to remedy the situation, which is often a function of the implement being stored outside.

Whether you need to fabricate a cover for the gear box out of old plastic buckets or some other solution, you will want to stop moisture from getting into the gear box. Just FYI, some moisture is created when the case heats up during use and then cools down. Regardless of new or used or brand, keep an eye on the fluid in the gear box and be prepared to change it.

2. Many gear boxes do not have a drain plug and require the fluid to be "extracted", as flipping over the mower to drain the gear box oil isn't a practical or safe solution for many. There are a number of extraction tools, just keep in mind the higher the fluid viscosity, the larger the extraction tube or hose needed. Here is one I use and it works well.

3. Many people abuse their "rough cutters" and run over trees and other objects which are larger than the manufacturer intended. So be careful when considering any used cutters that they haven't been beaten hard or misused.

4. Make sure the slip clutch works as you will likely need it to protect the tractor's PTO drive line. If the mower has a shear bolt(s) instead, make sure the shear bolts are correct and not just a bolt someone stuck in the machine because it fit.Slip clutches and shear bolts provide critical protection of the tractors PTO system.

5. Verify the machine is IMatch or Quick Hitch compatible if you are using one of these on your tractor, which most of us would highly recommend.

6. As far as "brands" go, there aren't any specific mower brands which you want to avoid, but rather use your judgement and consider how they are built and compare to others you have seen. I would stay away from any made in China just because of the often issues with steel quality, assembly quality and parts availability. It doesn't seem there are many China made rear rough cut mowers out there, which is a good thing.

There are some very high quality rear rough cut mowers being made by newer implement companies which may not be known to you, so carefully consider any mower which is suited for the tractors size. There are many newer implement companies doing a great job with their product offerings and at reasonable prices.

You do need to be careful with very old rear mowers as some have odd hitches or connection points, which might have been specific to a unique machine configuration. Others might have a severe offset to the PTO shaft or gear box placement which likely won't work on your tractor, so keep that in mind. Just measure your 3ph and make sure any older mowers have the same dimensions for easy connection to your new tractor.

7. Last but not least, make sure to cut the PTO shaft to the correct length including when the mower is fully raised or when the mower is used through a ditch, etc. which can cause it to lift and pivot upward towards the rear of the tractor. I suggest you measure and test the PTO shaft length yourself and not take someone else's word for it that its "all set". A binding PTO shaft can cause significant damage to either a tractor's PTO drive line, the mowers gearbox or all of the above.

Good luck with your purchase and make sure to post photo's of your selected implement. Living vicariously through others is a common past time for some, here on GTT.....Plus, its easy and less painless to spend other's money.........;)(y)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.