Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So I've owned a few red garden tractors that were gear drive and they've been great machines but my wife likes to mow occasionally and wasn't found of the gear shifting and always made me nervous around the trees and hills in our yard. I happened to find this on the Facebook marketplace in my town so I went and look at it tonight and ended up taking it home for $200. It has a couple of issues such as a "cracked/broken" steering wheel, busted headlight lense, and sometimes the starter doesn't engage. It fired right up and ran nice and drove around the yard nice and I figured for what I paid I could part it out for more than that if I had to. Anyways here's a quick pic I took of it when I unloaded it in the garage. If any of you have any tips or advice on what to check over and replace on this tractor feel free to let me know. I won't be using it for a few months and would like to go through it while it's still winter here.

185.jpg

-Matt

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Welcome from MD. Good job including a pic!! :good2: I am not familiar with the 185's but i am sure somebody here will have a suggestion or two.

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
The 185 with 38inch deck has 18x8.50-8 rear tires and 185 with 46inch deck have 20x10.00-8 rear tires Both model had the same sized Front tire of 15x6.00-6 at the time the 185 was Deere's Top of the Line Lawn tractor it could Take a 42inch Front Blade & a 38inch snow thrower. They were Made from 1986 till 1990 They were replaced by the LX100 series The 130 thru 185 Had replaced the 108, 111 & 116 lawn tractor series:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
BTW sent You a Private message with some Help On your 185:bigthumb:

Reactions: bizz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 185 with 38inch deck has 18x8.50-8 rear tires and 185 with 46inch deck have 20x10.00-8 rear tires Both model had the same sized Front tire of 15x6.00-6 at the time the 185 was Deere's Top of the Line Lawn tractor it could Take a 42inch Front Blade & a 38inch snow thrower. They were Made from 1986 till 1990 They were replaced by the LX100 series The 130 thru 185 Had replaced the 108, 111 & 116 lawn tractor series:bigthumb:
From a preliminary serial # lookup my 185 is a 1990 model year and has the 46" deck. Can't wait till the spring to see how I like the hydro compared to my 8 speed wheel horse garden tractor.

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
From a preliminary serial # lookup my 185 is a 1990 model year and has the 46" deck. Can't wait till the spring to see how I like the hydro compared to my 8 speed wheel horse garden tractor.
That's a nice find. I have a 1990 185 with a 46" deck as well. Mine also has the bagger for grass clippings. My father in law bought it new in 1990 and besides regular maintenance, it's always been a reliable machine. I've tried to estimate the number of hours on the Kawasaki and I would guess it's got someone around 1,5000 to 2,000 hours on it. Your's looks to be in great shape, like mine. One of the benefits of being kept inside, IMHO. I had a similar issue with the starter not engaging. Deere makes a starter relay kit that fixes the problem. It isn't expensive and is easy to install. Good luck, keep us posted, and.............:wgtt:

Reactions: Catfishin and Levi

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
Those are good tractors. I bought the nearly identical 175 Hydro new in the 80's and had it for over 25 years. It was still working like new when I sold it to buy a X500. The manual cautioned to never change the hydro fluid and I never did. In 25 years of heavy use I never had a add a single drop of hydraulic fluid. I did add the starter relay kit as a previous poster suggested. Mine also had the engine oil filter kit which was optional at the time.

Reactions: ColonyPark

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are good tractors. I bought the nearly identical 175 Hydro new in the 80's and had it for over 25 years. It was still working like new when I sold it to buy a X500. The manual cautioned to never change the hydro fluid and I never did. In 25 years of heavy use I never had a add a single drop of hydraulic fluid. I did add the starter relay kit as a previous poster suggested. Mine also had the engine oil filter kit which was optional at the time.
So the hydro in these is a sealed system and never needs maintenance? Interesting... My Kawasaki engine does have the oil filter, didn't realize that was optional, good to know!

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
So the hydro in these is a sealed system and never needs maintenance? Interesting... My Kawasaki engine does have the oil filter, didn't realize that was optional, good to know!

We've never touched the hydro fluid on ours, going into it's 28th year. I didn't know the oil filter was optional too. Mine has it. Our 185 owes us nothing!:good2:

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
We've never touched the hydro fluid on ours, going into it's 28th year. I didn't know the oil filter was optional too. Mine has it. Our 185 owes us nothing!:good2:
That's funny because the service Manual tells You how to replace fluid Or Grease depending on which model You Have. Because Both the Gear & Hydrostatic transmission are considered serviceable transmissions. That said I have never changed the fluid or grease In the Transmissions in My old Cubs or My JD 112 Square fender:bigthumb:

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
Matt,

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
No, it's not a sealed system. You CAN drain and change the hydro oil. The manual just instructed you to never do it (175 Hydro).

·
Corndog Hater
11,778 Posts
No, it's not a sealed system. You CAN drain and change the hydro oil. The manual just instructed you to never do it (175 Hydro).

If my memory serves me right, the manual for the 185 says the same thing.

·
Premium Member
14,916 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

Looks nice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How can I tell what plow blades and snowthrowers will fit the 185?

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
How can I tell what plow blades and snowthrowers will fit the 185?
Here You Go

For Front Blade M00269X or M02690X because You have a 1990 model

Thrower M00246X

:bigthumb:

Attachments

Reactions: bizz and ColonyPark
1 - 20 of 20 Posts