Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started using my 2018 JD 1025r with 120 loader. Where is the best place people have found to search for used cat 1 3 pt attachements?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Welcome from Kalamazoo, MI!

My first stop would always be Good Works Tractors although used inventory quickly changes. It is tough for anyone to maintain a constant full supply of used attachments as most dealers are simply taking in whatever is traded in to them.

So, I would create and save a Craigslist search for each implement I want. Put the distance you're willing to travel, price, etc and save a few searches and check once a day. This will be your best bet.

Otherwise, check auctions. Fall and winter are the best times to buy most attachments at auction, but deals can be had any time of year. I'm not a fan of buying tractors at auction, but implements are another story.

:wgtt:

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
My advice would be to set aside a "slush fund" for implements. Then watch Craigslist on the regular and see what pops up. You can also keep in touch with any local farm equipment dealers and auction houses that handle that sort of stuff. Give them your name & number, tell them what you're looking for and ask them to call you if something comes in.

I see equipment advertised all the time. Some of it sells fast (like within hours!) and some seems to languish for months. That's why having the slush fund is important. If you see something you want at a decent price, you have to be able to jump on it fast. If you have to wait a week to put the cash together, it'll be gone by then.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My advice would be to set aside a "slush fund" for implements. Then watch Craigslist on the regular and see what pops up. You can also keep in touch with any local farm equipment dealers and auction houses that handle that sort of stuff. Give them your name & number, tell them what you're looking for and ask them to call you if something comes in.

I see equipment advertised all the time. Some of it sells fast (like within hours!) and some seems to languish for months. That's why having the slush fund is important. If you see something you want at a decent price, you have to be able to jump on it fast. If you have to wait a week to put the cash together, it'll be gone by then.
Very true... Last year I found a JD 413 Rotary Cutter for $400 on Craigslist. I was the first caller. By the time I picked it up (he lived just 2 miles from our place), he had received ten calls. You have to jump on the good deals. The bad deals, such as Dearborn two bottom plows for $500 will be on CL for months. The ones for $100 will go within hours.

Depending on the type of implement, some are not much more new. I searched three months on CL for 3-pt tillers. The best ones were 10-20% below new, and the junk was "50%" below new. Given my dealer is close, buying new is often a good option.

·
Registered
21,483 Posts
For me - before the advances of internet in every home - I would make a weekly visit to my dealer and cruise the bone yard. The bone yard being the section of recently traded tractors and equipment. Picked up some great deals that way - they were eager to get rid of the implements as they always sold the tractors by themselves.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
I watch CL for stuff. Not all CL sellers are very gentlemanly. I always tell them I'm on my way with cash and how long it will take me to get there in hopes that they don't sell it out from under me.

Farm auctions can be great. I watch the local auction dealers for stuff I might be interested in. Tractors and implements usually sell in the afternoon so I'm rarely in a hurry to be the first one there. I always go looking like I'm carrying my last penny with me.I wonder how many times friends have said, Drew I didn't even recognize you.:mocking:

Don't forget word of mouth.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A good source of implements for me has been estate auctions or equipment auctions. I have purchased several implements from estate auctions that looked to have been used once (light use) and never touched again. With equipment auctions I often find implements in either excellent condition or completely worn out with fewer pieces that are just "fair/average" condition.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
I watch CL for stuff. Not all CL sellers are very gentlemanly. I always tell them I'm on my way with cash and how long it will take me to get there in hopes that they don't sell it out from under me.

Farm auctions can be great. I watch the local auction dealers for stuff I might be interested in. Tractors and implements usually sell in the afternoon so I'm rarely in a hurry to be the first one there. I always go looking like I'm carrying my last penny with me.I wonder how many times friends have said, Drew I didn't even recognize you.:mocking:

Don't forget word of mouth.

:unknown::lol::dunno:me-gots to ask--what does this got to do with a auction?? if someone wants to bid-i don't think they look around to see how the others are dressed-do they:dunno:

now if u was going to a private home to look at stuff-being in the rags-might influence the seller some:dunno:until u pulled out that roll of hundred dollar bills and starting crying over :cry:em:lolol::lolol:

·
Registered
913 Posts
The bulletin board in my local Tractor Supply store is usually covered with flyers for horses, trailers, farm equipment, hay, and various farm-related services.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
:unknown::lol::dunno:me-gots to ask--what does this got to do with a auction?? if someone wants to bid-i don't think they look around to see how the others are dressed-do they:dunno:

now if u was going to a private home to look at stuff-being in the rags-might influence the seller some:dunno:until u pulled out that roll of hundred dollar bills and starting crying over :cry:em:lolol::lolol:
I go for that poor old guy could barely afford to get here, let him have it.:lol: I don't pull the hundreds out until it's time to leave.:mocking:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts

Around here it does.

Look like big $$$, probably gonna spend big money, or at least run up the bid.
Or dealers/resellers etc, if they have a company logo attire on.

I generally try to see who it is I'm bidding against, I also watch to see who bids/buys similar items throughout.
If they have already spent a lot, it may mean that one more bid from me might make them quit, where if it's the beginning, or they have bought a lot, they may be close to their budget cap for the day.
It makes a difference, especially if you are right at your own should I / shouldn't I point on an item.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have bought several items on Craigslist but don’t forget about Facebook marketplace. Right now in my area there are more balers for sale on FB than on Craigslist. And FB marketplace is way better to read than some of those posts....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Another vote for estate/moving sales. Around here, there seems to always be a box blade, or bush hog for sale.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Yep. CraigsList and local auctions. Also PurpleWave internet auction. I have bought attachments from them. Nice to not have to be there in person, although I had to drive nearly 400 miles one way to pick up my 8ft tandem disk and 8ft rear blade. But for $100, it was well worth it, since I sold the blade for $100. Therefore, all I had in the disk was the cost of gas and my time, which being retired, is all I have. I also get emails each week from ksauctions.net that list all the auctions in the state so I am aware of any that I want to go to. I have a bunch of attachments that I have picked up for very low cost. For example, I just recently bought a 10ft Rhino brush hog for $800 at a local consignment auction. Pretty rough, but a new tailwheel and some maintenance and it will be ready to go. Nearly done, except for disassembling the slip clutch and cleaning it up or replacing the disks. It is a Walterscheid slip clutch. First one I ever saw. A little more complex. Made in Germany. I don't ever want to operate a brush hog this big without a working slip clutch, to prevent tractor damage. Since it will have to sit outside, I will keep the slip clutch covered after making sure it is working correctly.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts