Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to tractor ownership and I have a new 1025r. I bought it equipt with a loader and a back blade attached with a ballast box tied into the bucket. I have the ballast box out in my yard ready for the cement for weight and I do not have a hitch attachment so it will just go on the 3 point. Should I prop this up on something and level it before filling with ballast?
Is the process of attaching it that difficult. My question may sound stupid but like I say I'm very new to this.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,853 Posts
Welcome to GTT odis.
Many here fill the ballast bot with something removable Stone/Sand etc...
If filling with concrete, I'd level the box both ways before filling.

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
You'll probably want it as close to level as you can get it if you're going to pour concrete into it just to get a decent, level finished product. That isn't critical to it's functioning but... you're going to be staring at it for the next 30 years so.. I dunno. Maybe that's just me with my OCD. If it was crooked it would drive me nutso. :laugh:

Without a quickhitch you'll have to muscle things around a bit to get it on the 3-pt hitch but it's do-able. :good2:

·
Administrator
18,343 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Before filling with concrete, seal the seams inside with tape or caulk or the liquid will seep out and make a mess!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I built one for my brother and filled with concrete. Before putting in the concrete I drilled a hole in all four corners of the box and then set 1 1/2" PVC pipe in the corners to hold a rake, spade, hoe, etc.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
You could always use suitcase weights that way their removeable to make putting the box on and off easier,you can use them for other things like hanging on your blade for more weight or on the front for counter weight.They have them in 42 and 70 lb.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses, as I said I'm new to this and I think that this year what I will do is put the box on and then fill it with sand. If it doesn't feel heavy enough I will only fill the bucket half full. I have a bad back and don't relish struggling with a box full of set up cement. I have a welder, chop saw, torches and a pile of scrap steel and a box full of industrial casters. I'll build somthing this summer so it will come off easy this winter to replaced by my back blade. It snows where I live.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Set the ballast box on one of these. This makes it easy to move around.

Solid Wood Dolly - For Life Out Here

Personally, I didn't fill mine with concrete. I put 2B stone in mine.

2B stone weighs 105 lb. per cu ft.

The empty box weighs 88 lb.

According to JD, the ballast box should weight 601 lb. and the rear tires filled.

601 - 88 (empty box) = 513 lbs of additional weight needed.

If you use 2B stone, 513 ÷ 105 = 4.8 cu ft. of 2B stone.

I made my ballast box weigh about 450 lb. If I am using the FEL with forks or moving buckets full of stone, I hang 4 - 40 lb. suitcase weights on the box side.

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
Here are some weights of various things you could possibly put in a ballast box. I looked these up when I was deciding what to do with mine. I went with a combination of sand in the bottom, then topped it off with as much scrap iron, chain, and old electric motor copper windings as I had on hand.

The weights are the pounds for one cubic foot. I found these on-line. You may find different numbers depending on where you search. If you don't have access to scrap metal, stacked paving bricks would be pretty easy to handle, could be added to or removed a heck of a lot easier than concrete, and would weigh more than concrete.

Concrete block - 70
Dry packed earth - 95
Asphalt - 100
Cement - 100
Dry sand - 100
Mud - 115
Building brick - 120
Concrete - 130
Dry hard clay - 150
Paving brick - 150
Granite - 170
Aluminum - 170
Cast iron - 440
Wrought iron - 480
Iron - 490
Steel - 490
Copper - 560
Lead -708

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Here are some weights of various things you could possibly put in a ballast box. I looked these up when I was deciding what to do with mine. I went with a combination of sand in the bottom, then topped it off with as much scrap iron, chain, and old electric motor copper windings as I had on hand.

The weights are the pounds for one cubic foot. I found these on-line. You may find different numbers depending on where you search. If you don't have access to scrap metal, stacked paving bricks would be pretty easy to handle, could be added to or removed a heck of a lot easier than concrete, and would weigh more than concrete.

Concrete block - 70
Dry packed earth - 95
Asphalt - 100
Cement - 100
Dry sand - 100
Mud - 115
Building brick - 120
Concrete - 130
Dry hard clay - 150
Paving brick - 150
Granite - 170
Aluminum - 170
Cast iron - 440
Wrought iron - 480
Iron - 490
Steel - 490
Copper - 560
Lead -708
Looking at your list old car/truck wheel weights might be a good option. They are mostly lead with a steel mounting clip. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,853 Posts
Looking at your list old car/truck wheel weights might be a good option. They are mostly lead with a steel mounting clip. Has anyone ever tried this?
Someone on here did this but I cannot find the thread.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Gizmo2,
I looked at these at Artillian and I know Artillian makes really nice stuff. The concern that I had was, on a 1025R, when unloading a trailer, the ballast box has to be angled all the way up with the top link or it will dig in when going up and down the trailer ramp. This is why they call the 3 point a "limited CAT 1". Not as much height as normal.
Yes, if my trailer had a bob-tail, this wouldn't happen. My next trailer will have a bob-tail. I'm not sure how much this cart hangs below the bottom of the actual ballast box. It looks like not too much, but really, there is no additional space below the bottom of the ballast box and the ground. Even with the ballast box angled all the way up, when going up or down the ramp on my trailer there is just no clearance. This isn't too much of a problem going up the ramp, as the box just drags. Backing down, this is a problem. If it digs in, you cannot back off the trailer. This is a real predicament. :good2:

Reactions: OldmanX and Gizmo2

·
Registered
332 Posts
Gizmo2,
I looked at these at Artillian and I know Artillian makes really nice stuff. The concern that I had was, on a 1025R, when unloading a trailer, the ballast box has to be angled all the way up with the top link or it will dig in when going up and down the trailer ramp. This is why they call the 3 point a "limited CAT 1". Not as much height as normal.
Yes, if my trailer had a bob-tail, this wouldn't happen. My next trailer will have a bob-tail. I'm not sure how much this cart hangs below the bottom of the actual ballast box. It looks like not too much, but really, there is no additional space below the bottom of the ballast box and the ground. Even with the ballast box angled all the way up, when going up or down the ramp on my trailer there is just no clearance. This isn't too much of a problem going up the ramp, as the box just drags. Backing down, this is a problem. If it digs in, you cannot back off the trailer. This is a real predicament. :good2:
A Heavy Hitch could help with your ballast, trailer towing and it won't drag on the ground no matter how low your 3 point is.

Attachments

·
Registered
748 Posts
odis,

I filled mine with several tubes of sand. The kind they sell for winter traction. I got a great deal on some with a ripped bag, the ones no one wanted to buy.
I store my box on one of the small sized furniture dollies. I works OK for what I need it to do. I wanted just enough mobility so I could roll it up against the wall and get it out of the way. Also, the dolly make installation a little easier too, I can get the tractor close and roll it into position.... As long as I store it someplace with a cement floor.
Take a little time to search the threads and see how creative a lot of people on this forum are. Some of the members here have some fancy ballast boxes. PVC tubes, metal clips, hangers, and other things to hold various tools on the box and make life easier while playing with... I mean, working with the tractor.

DSCF7389.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
A Heavy Hitch could help with your ballast, trailer towing and it won't drag on the ground no matter how low your 3 point is.
Yep!!! I have my eye on one of these!!!!! VERY NICE!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts