Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at new trailers for a while now, my 16 foot 10K rated trailer was just a little bit small (short) for the tractor I have, and with the sides it had on it it was impossible to pick up pallets. It’s moved three vehicles too and it was always a pain to have to climb out the window LOL.

I decided to get this H&H Speedloader EX, it’s 20’ long, rated for 14k, has torsion axles, plus many other options. I’ll be adding Warn 8k winch and a solar battery charger soon. Empty weight is about 2,300 pounds.

Obligatory pictures:

·
Super Moderator
3,969 Posts
You dog. Now I'm jealous. Again.

(y)

·
Registered
352 Posts
The removable fenders would be quite handy.
Any concerns about the load angle when tilted?

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any concerns about the load angle when tilted?
Not yet...but it's no worse than the gate on my Big Tex 10 PI 16" trailer that I'm selling. To load vehicles I had to use 6x6 blocks and 4' 2x12 ramps I made to decrease the angle, I can always do that with this one too if needed. The specs say it's 9° but I think it may be a little steeper since I got the 14K axles.

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
Sweet trailer. What kind of decking is that?

Reactions: MDrew and PJR832

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Hooking has been very good for Kenny. :) Removable fenders are a bonus to go with an aluminum frame.

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet trailer. What kind of decking is that?
Thanks.

Just #1 Pine boards, it was raining today so it looks darker. I did not want the aluminum deck option as I think it's slippery and you can't screw blocking to it if needed.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I have a 11deg T6 PJ trailer that will load sissor lifts etc.....yours looks to be much more but pics can be deceiving.....really like the removeable fenders......wish they would extend bed out to outside of fenders 8' bed....curious about how the tilt works on loading....power tilt up /gravity down? .....aluminum$$$$$ :) ....after you use it a bit let us know.....i love my torsion axles...

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
What locks it down?
Was concerned about overloading rear axle when loading......then counted the lugnutz.
Load angle looks steep.....but this design allows more use of the aft of trailer vs conventional tilt with the long tail.

I like it...quite sure its outta my budget.

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sweet. I've been looking at a replacement trailer, too. Why did you opt for a tilt bed verses ramps? I would need to load vehicles and I was concerned about the load ange, especially with my Daytonas as there quitee bit of body extending beyond the front wheels.

Reactions: rtgt and MDrew

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What locks it down?
Was concerned about overloading rear axle when loading......then counted the lugnutz.
Load angle looks steep.....but this design allows more use of the aft of trailer vs conventional tilt with the long tail.

I like it...quite sure its outta my budget.
Nothing "locks" it mechanically, just cylinder pressure holds it closed. I questioned that too, but they had made this same design for about 10 years now so if there was an issue they would have added a lock I guess. The manual tilt version does have a sliding pin type lock on it.

Each axle is 7K rated, plus it's only "over" loaded for a very short time. Again if it was an issue they would have corrected it.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
That pine looks sweet wet. Problem is you can’t coat it to make it look like that all of the time since the purpose of the trailer is hauling things and they mess up the deck.nyou will always just need to take photos in the rain, or hose it down first. ?

Solar is great for maintaining batteries. ?. I had a boat in MS and I had to park it on my lower lot with no power. The solar maintainer never let me down..

Thier flyers always sof the not hooked and the front is almost on the ground which gives the better angle. small print says it is never recommended to do this.

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sweet. I've been looking at a replacement trailer, too. Why did you opt for a tilt bed verses ramps? I would need to load vehicles and I was concerned about the load ange, especially with my Daytonas as there quitee bit of body extending beyond the front wheels.
I hate ramps. Not only are they heavy, if they are hinged they add considerable drag, if they are sliding they rattle around and get all scratched up and moving them is real PITA. Even with ramps and gates you can easily have load angle issues (read my comments above) but it's easy to overcome with wood blocks and planks.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Sweet!
Green Yellow Emoticon Smile Facial expression

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I hope you get better longevity out of the pine boards than my FIL trailer. His rotted in 4 yrs. Just don't treat pine like they used to do they. I have oak on my gooseneck but it's going to need replacing, it's at least 18yrs old though. I'm dreading it because it is more expensive.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Administrator
22,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope you get better longevity out of the pine boards than my FIL trailer. His rotted in 4 yrs. Just don't treat pine like they used to do they. I have oak on my gooseneck but it's going to need replacing, it's at least 18yrs old though. I'm dreading it because it is more expensive.
Yup, pine is not forever, but as I wrote above I did not want the aluminum option. After about 8 years I redecked my Big Tex trailer with rough sawn white oak from a local lumber mill. When this dries I'll treat it with used diesel motor oil from my truck like I did the white oak, it really seams to repel the water. I never once treated the pine on the old trailer.

Found some pics of the project in this thread: Trailer planking

1 - 20 of 122 Posts