Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Great to see all the JD fans. Two questions: I have a 1980 850, is this the right forum? While cuting grass at my hunting camp it looks like the shear pin broke on the gear box to pully wheel that drives my belly mower belt. My PTO turns but the pully wheel does not. My camp is 75 miles away and I have limited tools. Is there anything special I need to bring and any idea of the size of the shear pin. Can I get at it without a jack? Thanks and great to be aboard.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT. I can answer your first question.

Great to see all the JD fans. Two questions: I have a 1990 850, is this the right forum?
You did fine in posting to the right forum.

While cuting grass at my hunting camp it looks like the shear pin broke on the gear box to pully wheel that drives my belly mower belt. My PTO turns but the pully wheel does not. My camp is 75 miles away and I have limited tools. Is there anything special I need to bring and any idea of the size of the shear pin. Can I get at it without a jack? Thanks and great to be aboard.
To answer this question I will ask one or......two. By chance have you checked out JD Parts? Some of what you are asking should be there. What size deck are you running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did not know JDparts exsisted, thanks, could not find my 72 inch mower or the gear box, but will keep looking. THANKS

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I just looked under "72" which is the model of the deck. I could not find the one for a 850, but did find it for the x55 series which should be close if not the same. I don't see a shear pin but I do see a key. Below are some pictures. They also show two different driveshaft's depending on the serial number.

Oh, and welcome to DT:good2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Does it look like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kevin and KennyD From a old mans memory the gear box looks like Kennyd print#3 and Kevins wheel print if that is possible. It looks like the pin might be #17 and should be easy to replace.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Turned out to be a sheared pin, took box apart, had gear pressed off shaft, replaced pin, back together, back to cutting grass. Thanks for every ones help!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad your back up and running...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts