Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's before shots of the tires I'm replacing. They're 18.4-30 ; the 'book' says the max size for this tractor is 16.9-30 so I'm going down to that size.

There's a BK Tire shop about 2 1/2 miles away so I drove it over there yesterday .

On the topic of calcium vs non-corrosive filler, the man at BK said if it was a new tractor, the bio filler would be the way to go, but at $3.50 /gallon a little pricy on this size tire. Since it already has calcium that can be re-used in the new tubes, that would be the way for me to go. Makes sense to me.

image.jpg

I don't think I'm replacing these any too soon. They've pretty much given their all.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
New shoes!

Got the new tires on it looks pretty good, I think.

The 8ply 16.9-30's were $462 each, tubes $68 each, calcium X-fer $147, disposal $36. So about $1450 tax and all. A little better than I expected.

image.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Nice looking rubber. take care of them they will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
11,895 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,211 Posts

The 8ply 16.9-30's were $462 each, tubes $68 each, calcium X-fer $147, disposal $36. So about $1450 tax and all. A little better than I expected.

View attachment 593650
Damn they're nice. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice looking rubber. take care of them they will last a lifetime.
I normally keep it in the hay barn out of the sun...unless like today the winds are 30-40mph and I can't open the doors. In the barn the big issue is the bird $h!t from sparrows and starlings :laugh:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I normally keep it in the hay barn out of the sun...unless like today the winds are 30-40mph and I can't open the doors. In the barn the big issue is the bird $h!t from sparrows and starlings :laugh:
Starling food...

Attachments

·
Registered
11,485 Posts

View attachment 593650
:bigthumb: real nice-nuthing like getting new tires--yes-sir-ree.

now rope-chucker-put them their chains back on-u don't wanna wear them new bars out too fast-right:lol: save them tires!!!:mocking: #chainsrule

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:bigthumb: real nice-nuthing like getting new tires--yes-sir-ree.

now rope-chucker-put them their chains back on-u don't wanna wear them new bars out too fast-right:lol: save them tires!!!:mocking: #chainsrule
The chains are sized for the previous tires, 18.4-30 so I'll have to re-work them to fit the 16.9-30 tires BUT... I was thinking that the chain would deform the tire tread ribs and maybe cause some flexing of the tire. Does that sound logical? Or am I once again over thinking...

·
Registered
9,729 Posts

·
Registered
11,485 Posts
The chains are sized for the previous tires, 18.4-30 so I'll have to re-work them to fit the 16.9-30 tires BUT... I was thinking that the chain would deform the tire tread ribs and maybe cause some flexing of the tire. Does that sound logical? Or am I once again over thinking...[/QUOTE]

:munch:nah-ur overthinking things a bit. :laugh: ur gonna need the chains for sure this winter, as IMO-new bar tires are like ice skates on ice, snow, if ya are trying to climb even a little bittle hill, pushing snow, hauling manure out-i guess oh nobody hauls manure out, like when i was a kid.:dunno: at least in the wintertime.

and then chains won't cut a groove in them new bars or nuthing like that. leave em off till fall, enjoy the new tire ride fo the summer, but get em ready for wintertime-ok. wouldn't hurt to go to 2 link cross chains when u rework them-there gonna want to ride down in between them new bar thread anyways. or make em look like the chains like coaltrain has, or a set of forestry chains that log skidders run.

i fell in love with the flat top fenders with the dual lights in them, yrs ago. :banghead: just never got a set or a newer tractor to match. probably never will either.:unknown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts