Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went into a New Holland tractor showroom the other day because I wanted to look at a box blade for my 855. While waiting for the salesman to finish a phone call I took a quick look at the tractors. They were a pretty decent looking group of machines. I know that New Holland took over the Ford tractor line a number of years ago, but does anyone out there know anything about these tractors. That is to say the overall quality of the machines or the company background & how it ties in with Ford, etc. I always thought that Ford tractors were a quality item, up there with Deere. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
The modern New Holland sub compact and compact tractors are built by the LS company and imported from China. Quality wise I haven't gotten to use one. I have spent a fair bit of time on a TN75, and it seems like a pretty solid machine.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
You didn't say what size tractors you were looking at. Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of the Ford CUTs were made by Shibaura. These days most of the New Holland SCUTs and CUTs are made by LS and have Mitsubishi engines. LS Tractor USA

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe they are made by Shindaiwa
The modern New Holland sub compact and compact tractors are built by the LS company and imported from China. Quality wise I haven't gotten to use one. I have spent a fair bit of time on a TN75, and it seems like a pretty solid machine.
You didn't say what size tractors you were looking at. Back in the 80's and 90's a lot of the Ford CUTs were made by Shibaura. These days most of the New Holland SCUTs and CUTs are made by LS and have Mitsubishi engines. LS Tractor USA
Interesting. These are all manufacturers I've never herd about. Who woulda Thunk it! I wasen't looking at any model or class of tractor in particular. Just making a general observation. Also the dealer happened to walk me thru the shop to get out back to see some box blades. I had to pass very close to one hell of a big New Holland tractor. The rear ag tires must have been about 7 feet in diameter. My wife was walking behind me. All I could hear her say was- "that's a big tractor". All I could think of was "man that's a lot of blue paint.

·
Premium Member
11,045 Posts
I agree. I was asking about the size as I think New Holland is like JD in that the smaller stuff is rebadged but then when you get to the big iron they actually do most of the manufacturing.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The New Hollands are supposed to be good. When I went tractor shopping in 2012 my intent was to buy a New Holland but the dealer was out of stock. After doing some research I found out they were made my LS, which is part of the LG company that makes electronics and appliances to name a few things. They are Korean built.

From what I can find the LS seems to be a well built tractor with few complaints. They have a 5 year warranty, come fully loaded, and they are priced at what I would say is cheap. I am currently thinking of selling my 2012 Deere which is a cabbed 3320 and buying one of the new cabbed LS tractors.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Isnt New Holland, Case HI, and Massy all part of Agco now ?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Isnt New Holland, Case HI, and Massy all part of Agco now ?
I think it's "Case New Holland". Agco owns Massey, white, Heston, the Challenger tractor line that used to be Caterpillar, and a whole ton of other manufactures to numerous to remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
When I was shopping I stopped by the "Blue Store". The salesman was so h*ll bent on selling me a demo unit he had in the yard he just couldn't hear what I was saying I wanted, he was trying to convince me I "wanted" the unit he was trying to dump. I got frustrated and left. I never got to see what NH had in a CUT.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I had a 1989 Ford New Holland 1725. I accumulated 2,500 hours on it before I sold it. It was built like a tank. I never had any issues just normal wear and tear. About four years ago I was in the market for a new tractor and was convinced it would be a New Holland. The dealer is 5 miles up the road from me and the JD dealer is about 20. I was very disappointed when I looked at the quality and engineering of the newer lines as compared to my 1989 vintage. I then started looking at JD and Kubota. I ended up with JD and have no regrets since.

I know quite a few people that have the new New Hollands and love them. For me, the difference between the 1989 quality and today was too much of a difference for the price. Today's JD exceeded the quality of my 1989 Ford New Holland so that is why I went for it.

·
Registered
927 Posts
New Holland history

NH was found in New Holland, Pennsylvania and merged in the 1940 w/ Sperry. 1981 the Ford motor company adopted Sperry-New Holland. In this time, you got the NH tractors in two colours - FORD blue and FIATAGRI terracotta. I don't know, if the terracotta tractors were sold in the USA too.
1999 FIAT adopted CASE and the tractors were named Case New Holland - CNH. That's the european part of the history.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My uncle had a New Holland CUT a few years back. It was a fine machine. They used it for everything. He since traded for a Deere... 3320 IIRC. As I understand it, the Deere salesman fed him one too many beers and sealed the deal! They are drinking buddies after all!:lol:

My brother's first major purchase for the farm since going in with my dad was an NH T8 series tractor. I haven't driven it but I hear it's a nice machine.

I gave NH a thought when I started looking into purchasing a CUT but between the JD dealership being right down the road and not being able to get quite what I wanted, I had to go with a JD.

Another tidbit on NH history, the old Ford-New Holland tractor line was actually sold to Buhler Industries who rebadged it using the Versatile name.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know it's old thread but I just don't understand NH's lack of advertising and general information floating around the web/YouTube. I wanted quick attach loader, BH, and mid mower for a 30-45hp CUT and wasn't concerned which brand offered the product I would purchase. I literally couldn't find enough information or videos about Case or NH to even get me interested in going to check them out. I did drive through the lot of a Case/NH dealer that didn't have any smaller machines so ultimately looked at JD, Yanmar, and Kubota before deciding on a JD.

Are they simply relying on past brand loyal owners to keep them going or do most dealers have ample SCUT/CUT machines on their lots (unlike my dealer) that people will be able to experience what they have to offer? Honestly, if I can't get on the Internet and watch videos and read on forums about a product I most likely will never have enough motivation to further explore that product. It just seems like a small amount of advertising and dealer videos on YouTube would go a long way since I'm pretty sure both Case/NH make a good machine or atleast my experience owning a couple older large Case tractors (130+hp) was an awesome experience. And I know quite a few happy Ford/NH owners so they can't be flat out inferior.

I honestly didn't even look or consider the price difference between the Yanmar, Kubota, and JD when I made up my mind. The Kubota had great reviews and plenty of information/videos around the net that I felt confident in purchasing one but as soon as I swung my right leg around the operators station and my foot landed on that crazy pedal I immediately jumped off the tractor before my rear-end even hit the seat while I told my cousin, "let's get out of here! I couldn't ever get used to that!" Then the Yanmar just wasn't quite refined enough to go with it although I liked it more than the Kubota.

Got a little off topic there but that was my purchasing experience and just feel that some money/time spent on educating those of us that aren't stuck on a specific brand would go a long way.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I agree. I was asking about the size as I think New Holland is like JD in that the smaller stuff is rebadged but then when you get to the big iron they actually do most of the manufacturing.
Are the smaller jd's rebranded from another company?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Are the smaller jd's rebranded from another company?
They all used to be Yanmars, but now days, I think the only ones that are wholly Yanmar built are the 2 series. Of course they all have Yanmar engines in them.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts

·
Registered
3,237 Posts

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
Information

I know it's old thread but I just don't understand NH's lack of advertising and general information floating around the web/YouTube. I wanted quick attach loader, BH, and mid mower for a 30-45hp CUT and wasn't concerned which brand offered the product I would purchase. I literally couldn't find enough information or videos about Case or NH to even get me interested in going to check them out. I did drive through the lot of a Case/NH dealer that didn't have any smaller machines so ultimately looked at JD, Yanmar, and Kubota before deciding on a JD.

Are they simply relying on past brand loyal owners to keep them going or do most dealers have ample SCUT/CUT machines on their lots (unlike my dealer) that people will be able to experience what they have to offer? Honestly, if I can't get on the Internet and watch videos and read on forums about a product I most likely will never have enough motivation to further explore that product. It just seems like a small amount of advertising and dealer videos on YouTube would go a long way since I'm pretty sure both Case/NH make a good machine or atleast my experience owning a couple older large Case tractors (130+hp) was an awesome experience. And I know quite a few happy Ford/NH owners so they can't be flat out inferior.

I honestly didn't even look or consider the price difference between the Yanmar, Kubota, and JD when I made up my mind. The Kubota had great reviews and plenty of information/videos around the net that I felt confident in purchasing one but as soon as I swung my right leg around the operators station and my foot landed on that crazy pedal I immediately jumped off the tractor before my rear-end even hit the seat while I told my cousin, "let's get out of here! I couldn't ever get used to that!" Then the Yanmar just wasn't quite refined enough to go with it although I liked it more than the Kubota.

Got a little off topic there but that was my purchasing experience and just feel that some money/time spent on educating those of us that aren't stuck on a specific brand would go a long way.
Case IH really isn't in the CUT or SCUT market. I think their smallest tractor is 45 HP. Our local Case IH dealer sells Kubota on the smaller stuff. NH does have a more extensive line and are starting to get their act together after the merger of Case IH and New Holland. At one point I think CNH was considering killing the New Holland tractors and letting NH being hay equipment and Case IH the tractors/combines but have since changed their minds. It's only been in the last year or so that NH has really gone back into the tractor market.

If you want something bigger, the Case IH line is very good and is taking some of the JD market share in our area. Available power is almost 700 hp with both wheeled or track configurations. They are a touch heavy, (50- 66,000 lbs) but should get the job done, LOL.

Treefarmer

1 - 20 of 30 Posts