Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 784 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another moving day for my daughter, they are getting close, closing on their place is on the 8th.
We went over the new house plans on Wednesday and I think we have the final changes shipped off to the home manufacturer.
It's all sort of intriguing. It's one of those things where you think you know, but you really don't. I've built a few buildings in my day but I've never been part of a soup to nuts ordeal before.
Sort of wish some of you jokers lived close by to give me a hand with stuff.
Floor Plan...

[/QUOTE]

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Questions and post from the GM thread...

So my thoughts are the master bedroom shares walls with both other bedrooms. I would make bedroom #2 the master, move the closet in bedroom 1 and add a closet in the hallway.
The standard package we are buying does not allow for moving walls around, but it's A LOT cheaper.
Excellent idea though (y)

according to the plans you have to go outside and walk around the house to get to the utility room to do the laundry.
There is an open walk through from the kitchen to the utility room. The washer and dryer are going in the basement.

Nice to see a plan with the bedrooms all on one side. We're doing the same, but it's hard to find any pre-packaged plans that do that today. Most put the "master suite" off in some distant wing.
I agree, most plans have bedrooms split up on two sides of the house.

Where is BigD's tractor, truck and car room? Will there be a tunnel to Grandma and Grandpa's house? Will there be an exhaust fan in the tunnel so he can ride a Gator or tractor? I'll have some more questions, but I will list them as they come to mind.
Room #2
No tunnel...... bonehead. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thanks for the new thread. Are you doing a full basement? Any rough ins for bathroom either now or future? Do you have a basement floor plan too?

We are also doing a ranch with a full basement. We have the first floor layout and elevations laid out. Working on the basement plan although it will remain unfinished initially. Determine where to put the rough ins for bathroom, washer/dryer and utility room is challenging. That's part of what we're working on at the moment.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
Most importantly wheres the garage ?

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Looks like I could layout 2 of those in my shed. I could drop a 3rd one on Oxpath.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the new thread. Are you doing a full basement? Any rough ins for bathroom either now or future? Do you have a basement floor plan too?
Yes full basement, basically free and clear.
Going electric heat and hot water.

Most importantly wheres the garage ?
:D I have a garage.

Looks like I could layout 2 of those in my shed. I could drop a 3rd one on Oxpath.
Show off. :D.....(y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ground Zero. The Gator is sitting where the house is going to be built. The house in the background is my house
20200617.JPG

.We bought this property (1.7 acres) from my sister-in- law 22 plus years ago. Originally I did the 200 amp electric service, the well and the septic system for my sister-in-law when they moved in there and put a 14ft x 70ft house trailer on the lot. We have been saving the property for a rainy day.
We now hope to have the new house completely done and have no mortgage. Hot dogs and beans here we come. :D

·
Registered
13,420 Posts
Will bedroom 2 have a chimney for Santa to enter and exit?

Your daughter and her family will appreciate living there. Plus, BigD will not have to grow up in the city.:)(y)

What kind of siding are you using? 2X6 studs and lots of insulation?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Interesting thread, I'm following this one. And for the record, i vote yes for the tunnel to Grandpa's house idea.

·
Premium Member
16,982 Posts
Looks like a nice lot , and a great place to set the house.

OH BOY , oh boy OH BOY,,, Big D will be spoiled so bad..... (y) :) :giggle:

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Do a wrap around deck and where’s the hot tub go?

·
Old Pa-pa
12,838 Posts
Ground Zero. The Gator is sitting where the house is going to be built. The house in the background is my house
Yup, I can see Big D needing a battery powered Kid's Gator to make the trek to Gramp's house
on a regular basis. (y)
Nothing but good having family close. (y)(y)(y)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will bedroom 2 have a chimney for Santa to enter and exit?
Your daughter and her family will appreciate living there. Plus, BigD will not have to grow up in the city.:)(y)
What kind of siding are you using? 2X6 studs and lots of insulation?
No chimney. Fundamentally Santa lives right next door......................

Vinyl siding, I did up graded from standard thickness to the thicker stuff (IIRC .044). I see too many homes around where the vinyl siding is so distorted from the heat and cold.

OH BOY , oh boy OH BOY,,, Big D will be spoiled so bad....
YEAH! :ROFLMAO:

Do a wrap around deck and where’s the hot tub go?
I think they are years away from a hot tub. I guess a wrap around deck is planned for future work, but I ain't paying for it. :ROFLMAO:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,867 Posts
I see you have your work cut out for you. You have a few...more then a few, stumps to remove. You going to do that when you dig the basement?

Putting a house close by for the grandparents is what the Amish do and call it the dau'tay haus, (gran'pa house).

Make sure the measurements for the basement walls are going to match up with the house outside walls measurements. My brother and his wife did what you're doing years ago and they measured the walls wrong when they dug the basement and put the basement walls up. House didn't sit on all 4 walls, only on 3. The 2 ends and 1 side. Added expense and work for their mistake.

If they need an easy way to slide the 2 halves into place tell them to use dish soap, makes them slide easy. What manufacture are you going with?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Levi, I told the builder after the final quote, the only way I'm going to sign is if they remove the stump while they are waiting to back fill, they agreed.
I'm not going to do a whole lot, provide the water line and show them where the septic tank is, both of which were done already early on.
02182019 (2).JPG

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,867 Posts
Sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. 👍

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you really what to go with electric heat? That meter will spin forever $$$
Yes. We have an all electric house that was built in 1970. We've lived in it since 1986.
Couple of reason...
No maintenance to speak of.
Pretty much 100 percent efficient.
No heat loss to delivery point (Duct work, Water pipes).
Total zone controls (each room is a zone).
Much less house real estate used (Basement free and clear, No duct work, leaky pipes).
Waaay cheaper up front costs (the house we are building ~$22K cheaper).
No water issues related to burning propane or overly dry air.
I know pretty much all I need to know about electric heat repairs/replacement.
The total consumer base is MUCH larger, every home needs electric.
The cost to heat the new house compared to our 1970 house should be far less than it costs us, maybe a book of matches :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just curious what manufacturer you're using. When we built our house back in 2007, we got a home from MSI (now Durabuilt Homes) in Selinsgrove, Pa.

Yours looks to be 2 modules so it should be a quick set and finish. It will be fun for you to watch them roll on the lot in the morning and by mid-day a complete home will be sitting on the foundation. All they need to do on-site after the set is raise the roof panels, add the gable ends and the ridge section of the roof. Will you be doing the final interior finish along the mating wall? There will most likely be some "free" lumber in the open area where your living room and kitchen connect. The manufacturer usually studs out the open areas on the module walls for rigidity.

Ours took a full day to set and get it fully enclosed, but only because we had 6 modules. The main section was 2 (26x40), master bedroom wing was 2 (26x20) and the garage/bedroom wing was 2 (26x50).

1 - 20 of 784 Posts