Green Tractor Talk banner

341 - 360 of 426 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Keith, what kind of flashing was used behind the leger? That's where we see rot with decks. Most infiltration products are not water proof.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Keith, what kind of flashing was used behind the leger? That's where we see rot with decks. Most infiltration products are not water proof.
Not sure what it was but it was sort of a semi rigid plastic, black in color..

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
Looking good

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
used to be a time when wiring inspectors would demand you paint the backer flat black. I questioned that and I was pleasantly told by a state inspector if he tells you to paint it flat black then do it!! End of call..... It's all about items being easily distinguishable.. Never found out if it is really a code even today I have no idea.. I don't ask anymore.. Probably some NEC code... which you will probably never find in that book!
Code requires the board be coated. That coating isn’t something I have seen defined, and I think 1/2 ive seen were coated with dust. 1/3 were black, and then we have gizmo.........I don’t think mine is black, it’s whatever color paint I had and didn’t expect to use.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Keith,
Looking good for a older guy doing the supervisor job. From what I couldn't see you need some lights and plugs down there. Other than that guess I can stay home you got it covered.👍

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Code requires the board be coated. That coating isn’t something I have seen defined, and I think 1/2 ive seen were coated with dust. 1/3 were black, and then we have gizmo.........I don’t think mine is black, it’s whatever color paint I had and didn’t expect to use.
That particular rule must be a local one.
90% of the ones I've seen are on bare plywood or osb. Two of my own included.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I haven't got my copy yet but I have heard there are some pretty big changes to the National Electric Code this year.
From memory...
Surge protecting main breakers, outside disconnect of power at service entrance and neutral wires must be run at all switches. I'm sure there is more just haven't cracked the book yet.

I wish I knew enough to build a house, it seems pretty daunting.
Thanks for showing us the process.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #349

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I have heard there are some pretty big changes to the National Electric Code this year.
Surge protecting main breakers, outside disconnect of power at service entrance and neutral wires must be run at all switches.
Wow! that's interesting.

·
Registered
11,353 Posts
That particular rule must be a local one.
90% of the ones I've seen are on bare plywood or osb. Two of my own included.
It’s national code from atleast 2009, that was the current code when I did my wiring. I think Maine is up to the 2015 code. What year SD has adopted? I don’t know.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I believe current code is 2020, but each city sets what year they use. Yours' could be 2020, 2009, or ??? Check with City Hall or City Electrical Inspector. Bob

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Hate to say it but some of these guys have their own codes! Believe me when I say that. I was a commissioner and when my electrical inspector wanted us to start not allowing homeowners to pull permits I said where is this coming from, it's not in the Mass code to do that.. His answer; our group had a meeting and that's what we came up with!! SORRY,, unless it's a written code in the code book you can't make up codes because you want to. I denied that and he called the leader of that group,, big deal, it never became law even to this day. You can do electrical in your own home in Mass but you can't do plumbing??? Reason; strong plumbers union..
When I built my own home I Hired one of my friends to do the electrical work, he demanded I paint the backer flat black and I said Pat, where is this in the code, his answer,, it's my code...... I did it under duress or he would have quit. He never showed me the code either, and now I'm going to call my electrical inspector in one of my small towns, he teaches the code at our local high school vocational electrical class and he is up on all of this.

Sorry Keith, I didn't see the black color behind the deck leger and going up the side wall a few to keep the snow and rain off your OSB under the siding., don't know what the product is you're talking about. Decks are great vehicles for water transfer to the home and then the trouble starts. Here in Mass we have separate codes over and above the IRC and IBC, (they are called amendments) and one of them is you can't be within 4" of a door sill opening on a deck or stair because of this issue.
So do you think insurance companies and attorneys drive codes????!!!!
I tell builders to check out DCA-6 2015 edition and download the PDF, it shows you how to properly connect a deck including the flashing and properly build a deck period,, some don't do what the darn thing shows and then they have to take it apart and do it right! All I get is; well Simpson wrote the book so they just want you to buy their products!!! Not easy sometimes I tell ya..

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
Sorry Keith, I didn't see the black color behind the deck leger and going up the side wall a few to keep the snow and rain off your OSB under the siding., don't know what the product is you're talking about. Decks are great vehicles for water transfer to the home and then the trouble starts. Here in Mass we have separate codes over and above the IRC and IBC, (they are called amendments) and one of them is you can't be within 4" of a door sill opening on a deck or stair because of this issue.
Ok, I asked today. There is black rubber (not plastic) water shield behind the ledger and up the side of the house then copper flashing over the ledger and up the side of the house.
I could park my truck on these decks.

·
Premium Member
16,219 Posts
(y) (y) (y)

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Nice color combination. (y)

·
Registered
13,072 Posts
Ok, I asked today. There is black rubber (not plastic) water shield behind the ledger and up the side of the house then copper flashing over the ledger and up the side of the house.
I could park my truck on these decks.
You may as well, it will make more room by the garage. :)

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
Looks nice. Like the color 👍

341 - 360 of 426 Posts