Green Tractor Talk banner

421 - 440 of 566 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #421
Probably stares from the workers you were bothering................
I told them I was there to scrutinize their work, so maybe. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
13,223 Posts
Now they have something to talk about all season this coming year. When the work gets boring, one of them will say, "Remember that old fart in the pink sweat pants and Rocky the Flying Squirrel hat, that looked over our shoulders all day? Wait until he finds the note we left for him in the cellar."

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
I used to tell customers that watched us every friggin moment; if they don't have anything to do then don't do it around here! One of my workers hated people watching him and what I had to say was much better then if they heard it from him!

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
Now they have something to talk about all season this coming year. When the work gets boring, one of them will say, "Remember that old fart in the pink sweat pants and Rocky the Flying Squirrel hat, that looked over our shoulders all day? Wait until he finds the note we left for him in the cellar."
😂😂:whistle:

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Keith, I did electrical work for the first 11 years after I got out of trade school. The company I worked for did Industrial, Commercial and Residental wiring and I never minded the customer watching while I worked. It wasn't going to change the quality of my work whether they watched or not. Sometimes their questions slowed me or my crew down but not often.

When I hire something done now I usually say, "If I can help I will but if you don't need me I'll stay out of the way and watch."

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us. It's been interesting to follow the progress.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #428
13° outside this morning, 37°- 38° in the basement. (y)

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
this 11 and 13 degree stuff is the pits! We still have 11 and windy to boot.. Not even fun lately to go for a ride on the ATV.. That's bad. The beer seems to get a beer slushy.
When I have someone do work for me I leave them alone and go do something else. They know what they're doing and I don't need to get involved. I never minded anyone watching me, but my help did! They didn't want anyone in the way. In fact, I wanted people to watch to see how it's really done!! :sneaky:
It's the people who constantly ask questions as to why are you doing it like that or give their advice... Get the heck out or the price goes up!

I did pull off a job once and only once I must admit. This old man was the smartest person on earth and quite frankly I had had enough of him and his "I could have got that done in half the time" crap, and it was a price for the job not by the hour..... He had one hard time getting anyone to take over the job. Do it yourself if you're that good!
I should have suspected he was an a hole when he said "you're digging this out with a backhoe" (for the foundation), he told me he could have did it by hand in less time!! That was day one! I framed the addition up got it inspected, informed the building inspector I was off the permit and screwed, didn't even want him to pay me what he owed me over the deposit for labor (he paid for the materials and foundation). You never push a contractor that can frame a ranch in 7 days with the roof, windows and siding in place, especially when the contractor is Irish and has had enough!!!! What irked his butt; The neighbor next door hired me to do a larger addition and I could talk to potential builders on his project!
We were known to get houses built quickly and no skimping on anything. Had a very strong reputation and built houses all over New England. Had a crew that each member had their own job to do and they were good at what they did,, I paid them well too! And I didn't have to supervise!!!!!! 😊 Separate a couple once in a while when tempers got hot and I would let them go at it too, then after one got the crap beat out of him I would say;,, are we ready to go back to work now?!!!! I had two employees that were brothers and I need to say no more.. Good thing I had workers comp! Those two meant business but would shake hands and get back to work, one liked to pick on the other constantly. Bloody noses and black eyes and they were rough and tumble brothers! Had one for 15 years and the other 30 years. I have a lot of stories just with those two! As my old art teacher and fellow musician told me; someday you need to write a book of short stories!

Looks good Keith, I bet you can't wait to start outside work when it warms up (tractor seat time).. Cheer up, another month and half or so and you're in business, as long as you don't have the mud season. We don't have a lot of frost in the ground (yet) so it will not be to muddy this year, I hope.
It will fly by.. Hope you don't mind me writing all this stuff and stepping on your thread???

·
Premium Member
11,595 Posts
Get the heck out or the price goes up!
Dad had a sign in his shop. "We charge extra if you watch, double if you help."

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
39,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #431
Hope you don't mind me writing all this stuff and stepping on your thread???
You have good info, you ain't stepping on my thread.

·
Premium Member
5,269 Posts
Dad had a sign in his shop. "We charge extra if you watch, double if you help."
I've seen that sign in numerous shops, I love it..
I have a sign on the inside of my inspector door that says, your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my behalf!

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,767 Posts
Exactly. My money, my rules. 🤣
Exactly the way I think. Also the way it'll be done unless they can prove me wrong. Sorry but I'm one those guys that will know how it's done whether I do it, help do it, or it's done for me. Yes I'd ask all kinds of questions if I don't know what is going on and if you're one that doesn't like it then you won't work for me. "My money, my way", until proven otherwise. Which might not take long but that's the way it is in my world.

·
Premium Member
16,665 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
12,454 Posts
Get the heck out or the price goes up!
Yeah, I tend to agree. I could care less if a client follows me around and pesters me with questions. However, they better be prepared for me to clam up when the instrument is set up and the real work begins. I have to concentrate on the measurements and numbers and cannot be fielding questions or chit chat during that time. Luckily most folks will mention, "I can help out" or "I am around at any time, so feel free to come whenever" and I can adjust the price accordingly (raise it up). I too charge more by the job at this point, not by the hour. If I hear the prior mentioned comments, I'll tack and extra $50 or so onto the estimate.

421 - 440 of 566 Posts