Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Someone obviously ate a big bowl of funny guy for breakfast this morning! They call them “barndominium‘s“. Virtually zero maintenance on the outside, which is exactly what I need as busy as I am. We are finishing out the inside with wood walls, stone fireplace and all the good stuff to make it look like a cabin.

·
Premium Member
4,630 Posts
Someone obviously ate a big bowl of funny guy for breakfast this morning! They call them “barndominium‘s“. Virtually zero maintenance on the outside, which is exactly what I need as busy as I am. We are finishing out the inside with wood walls, stone fireplace and all the good stuff to make it look like a cabin.
Well, although the concept is not entirely new to me, from the pictures it looks like the thing is huge. How many square feet of living space will this provide?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main structure is 40 feet wide by 130 feet long. 60 feet of that is enclosed, so 2400 ft.² under air. There is a 12‘ x 70‘ porch attached, so entire footprint is 6040 ft.². Garage door is 8‘ x 10‘ which leads to a 20‘ x 30‘ workshop.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,422 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
We really like the look, and as I’ve said many times I like the low maintenance aspect. I just don’t have the time to fool with the exterior of my house. In the area that we are building in, most of the homes are 60 to 100-year-old farm houses and barns. This fits in more with the local flavor and doesn’t stand out. Another benefit is the cost savings. The money we would’ve had to spend on a brick/stick shell is being put into customizing the interior where in our opinion it really matters. The shell as it is cost us $69,000. When we priced out a stick/brick pole barn with shop that would’ve been separate from the house, the price tag was $100,000 for it alone, The house was almost $400,000. This entire set up (minus the land) was quoted at $289,000. It was a no brainer.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
If I were younger, that is the rout I would go also.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
:bigthumb: :munch:

·
Premium Member
14,130 Posts
:munch::munch:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
That’s pretty nifty. I’m tagging along to see it progress.

What’s happening in the shop? Will you be doing some kind of crazy sound dampening since a bedroom and living room are right there? Or is it all storage?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That’s pretty nifty. I’m tagging along to see it progress.

What’s happening in the shop? Will you be doing some kind of crazy sound dampening since a bedroom and living room are right there? Or is it all storage?
No, all of my big tools (tablesaw, compound miter saw, etc.) are on wheels. I also have a pretty heavy duty butcher block workbench that I have on locking casters. I just roll up the garage door and take them out to the pole barn to make the noise/mess outside. In the southern climate, there’s really no time of year you can’t go outside to work. Along the lines of insulation, we are doing the spray foam insulation on the entire interior. We did it in our workshop here in Florida, and while expensive, there is no comparison to any other type.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts