Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought two 400s a few days ago, both running, one mostly restored with 20 loader and 3 pt hitch installed, the other with no implements and in need of restoration. I may just keep the second one as a parts tractor. It's nice to have all the running gear and controls in reserve for a 44 year old machine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts

Thats a sweet looking machine .... gotta ask ........how much?

What p[art of the country are you in? NE

·
Premium Member
5,988 Posts
Very nice. They are beast. 30 years from now you’ll still have the spare parts one because they are pretty dang reliable. Make sure to remove the covers on the side of the motor every so often to make sure the fins are not packing up with grass. :good2:

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
Welcome to another Mainer.

I find having a 420 with loader to be priceless for around the yard, and as backup for snow removal.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I find that i will have to move the seat on my 400 as far back as possible because of my size, I'm 6'4" and am too close to the steering wheel. The seat will be very close to the gas fill after I move it. In order to fuel the tractor, I bought a small fuel pump with hose and nozzle that is powered by AA batteries.

I also have to adjust the hydrostatic drive linkage because it has a slight rearward creep when in the neutral notch. I have the service manual and the adjustment looks pretty simple assuming no excessive wear or parts damage. With the loader frame, I will have to raise the front end to give me enough clearance to get under the frame. Anyone had any experience or problems with this adjustment?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I find that i will have to move the seat on my 400 as far back as possible because of my size, I'm 6'4" and am too close to the steering wheel. The seat will be very close to the gas fill after I move it. In order to fuel the tractor, I bought a small fuel pump with hose and nozzle that is powered by AA batteries.

I also have to adjust the hydrostatic drive linkage because it has a slight rearward creep when in the neutral notch. I have the service manual and the adjustment looks pretty simple assuming no excessive wear or parts damage. With the loader frame, I will have to raise the front end to give me enough clearance to get under the frame. Anyone had any experience or problems with this adjustment?
Congrats on the purchase. I have a 400 and used to have a 20 loader. Never could get the front mounted pump to stay on very well so I ended up selling the FEL. I had brought the FEL back from the dead so the fact that I got to work was some what of a miracle, but I got tired of spending money on it. They are great to use when they work. Does it have the original Kohler in it? Their weakness is a poor oiling system, a lot of folks will install a gauge but a lot of Kohlers will give up the ghost with a broken rod in the 1100-1500 hour range. They don't make that engine anymore and rebuild kits are getting hard to find. It's a great engine though, pulls hard.

I would find a deck and mount it on your spare one so you have a mower. It's a royal PIA to switch from a FEL to a mower deck.

Good luck on the hydro adjustment. I need to do that to mine but it has never been that big of a deal for me.

Enjoy your tractors. I would check out Weekend Freedom Machines.com there is a pretty good following of 400 owners over there or used to be.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got the tractor, I saw that the PTO pump vibrated badly. I removed the nylon bushing from the bracket that secures the pump arm and replaced it with one I made from a rubber stopper. That damped the vibration down to a reasonable level. I need to correct the hydrostatic misalignment because operating the fel controls, steering and drive lever is more difficult without neutral centering. I don't need a mower deck because I have a JD lawn tractor for that. I needed the garden tractor with a loader for moving some gravel and grading my driveway. Having two is just more fun.

·
Registered
9,890 Posts
When I got the tractor, I saw that the PTO pump vibrated badly. I removed the nylon bushing from the bracket that secures the pump arm and replaced it with one I made from a rubber stopper. That damped the vibration down to a reasonable level. I need to correct the hydrostatic misalignment because operating the fel controls, steering and drive lever is more difficult without neutral centering. I don't need a mower deck because I have a JD lawn tractor for that. I needed the garden tractor with a loader for moving some gravel and grading my driveway. Having two is just more fun.

If operating the hydraulic controls on the tractor you will lose steering. It’s the design of a 400. It’s hydraulic assist, not hydraulic driven. It also has no self centering.

That shouldn’t occur with the loader controls though. It’s on a separate system.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have to operate the hydraulic controls, it's the hydrostatic drive lever that is out of adjustment. I have to push it about 1/4" forward of the neutral notch to stop the tractor from backing up. I need to adjust the linkage to correct that. It's easier to maneuver when you can just drop the lever back into the neutral notch without having to worry about creep.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Oh I feel your pain. Having all hand controls makes for a busy operator when operating the FEL and the hydro lever likes to creep on you. Never a dull moment when you are in the seat. I converted the FEL controls to a joystick that I bought from the Surplus Center. I also had to source a new pump and the have a coupler fabricated at machine shop. The problem I was unable to solve was the vibration of the pump on the end of the front PTO. I didn't not have complete factory mount and it didn't work with the custom made coupler anyways. So after going through a couple of pumps and owning it for a couple of years, I sold off the FEL to some guy in Mississippi. Drove all the way to Fort Worth, Texas where I was living at the time to get it. Sounds like you have yours figured out. I would consider switching to a joystick vs the two lever valve set up that is stock on there. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was thinking about converting to a joystick. I don't really mind the dual levers but the joystick would make things a little easier. Did you still have the float function with the joystick?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got a couple of things done today, I was able to get the seat farther back and I got an oil pressure gauge installed. The gauge required removal of the intake manifold in order to gain access to the oil gallery plug. Not too difficult as it turned out. Oil pressure at idle while at operating temperature is 42 psi with 30 weight oil. That's right in the ballpark. I'm happy.

I still have to adjust the hydrostatic linkage, hopefully tomorrow. In the low 80s today and I'm beat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts