Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has bought an X320 and wish they would of went ahead and got the X500?

I am looking to buy a new mower before spring. Hopefully there will be some good incentives over fall/winter.

My usage will be mowing a fairly hilly 1.5 acre yard hauling firewood in a cart during the winter and what ever else I need to haul around the rest of the time. I also will be getting a sprayer either a pull type or the JD model that mounts to the back of the mower. Finally I might get a blade for light duty dirt work down the road.

I currently have a LT1042 MTD Cub that been doing fine with all the above duties but is showing its age its almost 10 years old.

Thanks for any comments..

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
:wgtt:

Seeing as this is your first post, I think a welcome is due.

I took a look at the specs on both the X300 and the X500, and they seem to be a pretty capable machines. I assume with the amount of property you need to mow, that the minimum deck size would be 48", and up to the max 54". Again, my guess is that you are leaning toward the hydrostatic version (X320), which is a good bet since JD hydros are really reliable transmissions.

I myself am of a different breed, I guess. I like to own just a pure mowing machine to do the mowing, and a separate tractor to do the rest of the work. So, as you can see by my signature line, the tractor is a 1 series, and I also have a Toro Z5000 ZTR for the grass. We do a lot of lumber hauling around here too, plus a good amount of gardening, stump removing, fence posts, snow removal, and any number of other tasks. A good tractor is a great back and time saver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Seeing as this is your first post, I think a welcome is due.

I took a look at the specs on both the X300 and the X500, and they seem to be a pretty capable machines. I assume with the amount of property you need to mow, that the minimum deck size would be 48", and up to the max 54". Again, my guess is that you are leaning toward the hydrostatic version (X320), which is a good bet since JD hydros are really reliable transmissions.

I myself am of a different breed, I guess. I like to own just a pure mowing machine to do the mowing, and a separate tractor to do the rest of the work. So, as you can see by my signature line, the tractor is a 1 series, and I also have a Toro Z5000 ZTR for the grass. We do a lot of lumber hauling around here too, plus a good amount of gardening, stump removing, fence posts, snow removal, and any number of other tasks. A good tractor is a great back and time saver.
I have looked at a ZTR but my wife does 80% of the mowing and she wants a steering wheel.. So we will get a mower with a steering wheel ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts

The x3 and x5 series are both great dedicated mowers. I think either would do what you described. The x5 series is a heavier machine and if in your budget is a great machine. If you can afford it why not go bigger. :yahoo:If price is a concern the x3 series should get the job done. If you plan to add any snow removal or ground engaging type implements in the future I would lean toward the x5 series. Just my .02 $

·
Corndog Hater
11,469 Posts
I have looked at a ZTR but my wife does 80% of the mowing and she wants a steering wheel.. So we will get a mower with a steering wheel

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Can't blame her, I gotta have a steering wheel too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,642 Posts
Can't blame her, I gotta have a steering wheel too!

No steering wheel in the beginning is strange. Babycakes here wants no part of a steering wheel anymore she has been mowing with a ZTR since 2002.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,642 Posts
Oh yeah Welcome to GTT bmdoss.
Thanks FG.

·
Super Moderator
2,700 Posts
I bought my X320 new back in 2006, and so far no issues with it, other than a clogged fuel cap back in 2008. They're an excellent mowing machine and if that's all you want it to do, then I would go with the X320. But if you have plans to do more or have the extra $ in your budget, then moving up to the X500 series would be cool also. After 9 mowing seasons, I have been very pleased and happy with my X320. I just use it to mow with as I have other tractors for the heavy duty stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought my X320 new back in 2006, and so far no issues with it, other than a clogged fuel cap back in 2008. They're an excellent mowing machine and if that's all you want it to do, then I would go with the X320. But if you have plans to do more or have the extra $ in your budget, then moving up to the X500 series would be cool also. After 9 mowing seasons, I have been very pleased and happy with my X320. I just use it to mow with as I have other tractors for the heavy duty stuff.
Thanks I think I am leaning towards a used 314 or the x500

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Thanks I think I am leaning towards a used 314 or the x500
Deere usually offers purchase incentives on their entire small tractor line up towards the end of the year and certainly to get people launched for spring purchases. If you have time to wait, I would definately keep your eyes peeled for cash back and or low interest / no interest deals from Deere Financial.......

The best price is cash as the dealers have to pay for the low interest financing. Also, it costs them about 1.0 to 1.3% of the total transaction value to accept credit cards so the very best deal is to be had with a pile of benjamins......(as in Franklin $100 bills)......

The purchase incentives also drive the used equipment trade ins so what I described above will also give you more used equipment to choose from. When some people get the trade in quote, they try their luck at selling it themselves on a Craigslist or similar. Others simply take the dealers offer and move on. Either way, you should have more options as these deals from Deere surface.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Deere usually offers purchase incentives on their entire small tractor line up towards the end of the year and certainly to get people launched for spring purchases. If you have time to wait, I would definately keep your eyes peeled for cash back and or low interest / no interest deals from Deere Financial.......

The best price is cash as the dealers have to pay for the low interest financing. Also, it costs them about 1.0 to 1.3% of the total transaction value to accept credit cards so the very best deal is to be had with a pile of benjamins......(as in Franklin $100 bills)......

The purchase incentives also drive the used equipment trade ins so what I described above will also give you more used equipment to choose from. When some people get the trade in quote, they try their luck at selling it themselves on a Craigslist or similar. Others simply take the dealers offer and move on. Either way, you should have more options as these deals from Deere surface.
Thanks for the helpful info.. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it's up to my wife now.. Here in a couple weeks I will take her to drive the x500 and x530 to see if she wants the power steering.. I am betting on the x530

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,218 Posts
:wgtt:post some pics when you get whatever you get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You sound like me two years ago! I was considering the 320 but I really wanted the diff lock for my hill and snow plowing. I then debated between the 500 and 530 but decided to get a 500 since I was already spending more than planned. I regretted not getting power steering and as you can see by my post, I traded yesterday for a 540. When will I ever learn it is cheaper to get what I want the first time!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,642 Posts
You sound like me two years ago! I was considering the 320 but I really wanted the diff lock for my hill and snow plowing. I then debated between the 500 and 530 but decided to get a 500 since I was already spending more than planned. I regretted not getting power steering and as you can see by my post, I traded yesterday for a 540. When will I ever learn it is cheaper to get what I want the first time!
It seems a lot of us have a hard time with that little tidbit of information.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
It's a very hard thing to overcome. At buying time, you feel like your being fiscally responsible, which is a good thing, but we all forget how annoyed we are when we don't have what we want/need!!!!

"You can't take it with ya" I say..... But then I'm pissed when I don't have cash on hand when an investment opportunity comes up!!! Can't have it both ways I suppose.

-J.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,642 Posts
NICE! Congratulations. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts