Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 1.25 acres that I use to cut myself for over 20 years, but the last couple of years hired a service to cut the lawn. Decided to start cutting the lawn again myself. Started looking for a JD garden tractor. I had Craftsman and Cub Cadets in the past, nothing wrong with them, just wanted to go with JD this time around. I wanted to buy used but came across a brand new (2019) X380 that someone won in a raffle, but had no use for it. The tractor was sitting in his garage for the last 6 months - has 1/10th of an hour on it. Got the tractor for $3300 - didn't want to spend that much, but a new X380 with taxes would have been a little over $5000 - couldn't pass up the deal.

The tractor has fuel stabilizer in it and fired right up when I picked it up. It will sit for a few more months before I start using it. Is there anything I should do other than put a batter tender on it before I start using it in the spring? Are these fully service (proper lubrication) when delivered or do I need to grease the spindles before my first cut? Anything else I should know about these machines (other than reading the manual)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If it were me I would try to run all of that old gas out of the system and refill with 100 percent gas. I would also grease everything that has a grease zerk.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Grease hardens, so refreshing it isn’t a bad idea. Otherwise I’d just run it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
All good advice above, grease it, replace the gas, check pressure in tires and verify deck is level and you are ready to mow!! BTW the X380 is a lawn cutting machine, great engine.Great mower deck.Nice on demand mulching option available, seat upgrades. You got a great deal

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Our X380 is approaching 4 years old. It’s been rock solid. We have the 54” accel deep deck and it cuts extremely well. You don’t say if you got a 54” or a 48”, but either will work great. We did add the mulch kit to it. We replaced a JD D170 with it and it’s a night and day difference between them. The X380 is a pro mower, that’s built much stronger than the residential mowers that Lowe’s or Home Depot sells. You’ll be very happy with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts