1,419 Posts
Welcome from NW NJ.
What model are you considering?

Reactions: Big

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Welcome from central Indiana!
What kind of horror stories are you hearing about the aluminum housings?
There are thousands of them out there working hard every day without failures. The housings are aluminum but they in a cage of steel framework. Aluminum is lighter (good for some tractor work), easier to machine and dissipates heat better than cast iron.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Welcome to GTT from SE PA!

Edit: If you're concerned about the aluminum transaxle housings, while most of us have great luck with them and push them hard, anything mechanical can fail. They are great tractors and have stood the general test of time but nothing is perfect, failures will happen regardless of brand. Because it's in your head the JD will fail, I'd personally stay away from it because the prior concerns are going to be in the back of the thought process everytime something goes wrong.

• Love
Reactions: JR Diyer

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Welcome from Central Ohio

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Welcome from west central Wisconsin.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Welcome to Gtt from the Mitten. 790 is an awesome tractor

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
Welcome to GTT. Where are you located, and what tractor dealerships are in your area?

·
Premium Member
10,544 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
We have a 2005 790. Still has a lot of life left in her. Great tractor. I’d like to try a 3025D in the future.
Since concern over aluminum axle housings has been brought up I'll just say that the 3025D and the other 3D tractors have a cast iron rear.

Reactions: JR Diyer

·
Premium Member
885 Posts
Welcome from NE Pennsylvania.

·
Premium Member
2,153 Posts
Welcome aboard! I've beaten my 1025r since I bought it! I've moved 100's of yards of dirt with it. Mostly dug out without a toothbar at first. Moved huge boulders and stumps thet some I could only get the bucket a few inches off the ground or not at all. Huge tree sections or full size trees I had to drag.

Never had any issues with the axle. I don't know where you heard that?
Good luck,
WB 🚜🇺🇲

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.