Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flag_of_truce:

Need to get a JD rider this weekend, i have read the reviews till i'am almost blind.
Only have enough for at the most is a lower end D130.
I have little slopes front and back about 2 acres.
But also want to use my trailer and maybe do a little hauling in the woods back to the home, Have 6 acres in total.
Any help folks?
Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Should be a nice unit for mowing. Just be mindful that it does not have a heavy duty transmission so be careful how heavy the load is that you are hauling. Have fun!!

·
Super Moderator
2,691 Posts
Ron is right - the 100 series will be fine as an entry level mower, but it does have a light duty transmission. I'm not sure of what your situation is nor do I know your mechanical abilities, but a good used John Deere garden tractor can be found at most dealers within the price of a 100 series and you should be able to find a good one that has a stronger transmission, better engine, and more sturdier construction. Maybe something like a GT275, GT262, or a 265, etc. will handle more chores than a D130 and can be had for that price or less.

BTW, if all 6 acres needs mowing, that D130 won't hold up too long, nor will any entry level unit from any brand. A good used garden tractor will, if the hours aren't too high. And with that much acreage to mow, a zero turn would be even better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only mow about 2 acres,,am not much of a mechanic.
I guess i will look around some more for a mower that has a stronger tranny.
Went thru a craftsman in 3 months when the motor locked up,they wouldnt honor the warranty so out the window went 1500.
CC lasted about 2 years but tired of replacing belts and pulleys, gets expensive after a few a year.
Not to many JD used around where i live.
But thanks for all the info.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
Where do you live? (hint, hint. Update your profile :hi: )

Have you checked machine finder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Super Moderator
2,691 Posts
Used Farm & Agricultural Equipment - John Deere MachineFinder

Or you can try these two John Deere-Tractors-Planters-For Sale-Construction Machinery Equipment Flexi-Coil Seeders On ELS or Used Tractors and Farm Machinery for sale by Fastline

Those two and machinefinder is what I use.

If you're just mowing two acres, the D130 will do it just fine. And if you're not hauling a lot of times and not moving a lot of weight, it should be fine there also. A lot of people recommend going used, but if your mechanical skills are lacking, then it might not be a good option. Just remember when the warranty runs out, everything has the potential of needing repair. And lack of mechanical skills is usually due to a lack of confidence in that area. Myself, I'm afraid to tackle some chores, but usually find I can do them if I start them.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you do buy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
X300

When does the model changes in there tractor transmission change,Looked at a few used x300 or other models in the "X" series.
Thanks for the links T-Mo

·
Super Moderator
2,691 Posts
Howdy, neighbor. I see your location is Steelville, Missouri. I'm about 7 miles west of Bonne Terre. We're practically neighbors.

I know the X320 has the K58, which is similar to the K46 found in the lesser X300 series and the 100 series, but has a charge pump not found in the K46. One option is to find an used LX2xx series, i.e. LX255, LX266, etc. They had a heavier duty lawn tractor transmission that was serviceable. They're still relatively on the new side, i.e. built within in the last ten years, so finding one in good shape should be easy. They're were JDs top of the line lawn tractor and preceded the X300 series.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
X Series

I read somewhere this morning that the X300 for 2999 has a better built tranny then what is in there D Series,just a tad bit stronger.
Bonne Terre isnt that far away from me maybe 100 miles if that.
So hello neighbor.
I guess i will continue pushing my Lawnboy on this 2 acres till fall and see if JD has any fall savings.
Great forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not Sure//// X300

Transmission:
Manufacturer: Kanzaki
Type: belt-driven hydrostatic
Gears: infinite forward and reverse
Speeds:

·
Super Moderator
2,691 Posts
The X300 and the 100 series uses the Tuff Torq's (Kanzaki) K46 transmission. The X320 and above uses the K58, while the LX2xx series used the K61s (if I remember correctly) and had the same frame as the GT2X5 series garden tractors.

Bonne Terre is about 50 miles from Steelville, which makes me about 42 miles from there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The D130 has a TuffTorq T40 transaxle, which was designed for rear engine riders. I would be VERY leery of doing anything with that mower other than mowing a relatively flat yard, especially on a hot summer's day. The D160, D170 and X30x move up to the K46, which is better, but not by a lot. The X310, X320 and X360 have the K58.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The D130 has a TuffTorq T40 transaxle, which was designed for rear engine riders. I would be VERY leery of doing anything with that mower other than mowing a relatively flat yard, especially on a hot summer's day. The D160, D170 and X30x move up to the K46, which is better, but not by a lot. The X310, X320 and X360 have the K58.

Thanks,,did a lot of reading yesterday on JD and and noticed a lot of complaints against JD for there transmission and engine failures in there so called sub par price mowers under 3k.
I cant see spending 3 or even 4k on a mower that has weak engines and transmissions.
Will continue to look around,,wife will NOT let me spend too much.
Thanks for all your help on the forums.

·
Administrator
20,132 Posts
You really do get what you pay for. The used JD market seems like it might be the way to go for you. T-Mo recently bought a 318 in this thread. He had to travel a little ways to go get it. My point is they are out there. Great machines for not so much money. I'm sure T-Mo might even be able to help you find a few good buys. If you want good quality, you're either going to have to go used, or expand your budget for a better bigger mower that will last a lot longer.

My dad likes to be cheap. He questioned my purchase of a Stihl FS110 straight shaft brush cutter/string trimmer. It was 4 times the cost of his trimmer. He thought I was crazy. That was almost 10 years ago. He has replaced his trimmer at least 5 times by now. I'm still using the same Stihl trimmer that's been through a bunch of crap and back. It still runs like new. Not to mention it has more power and capabilities. Now who's crazy? :mocking: I learned a long time ago, buy quality, not quantity.:drinks:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks,,did a lot of reading yesterday on JD and and noticed a lot of complaints against JD for there transmission and engine failures in there so called sub par price mowers under 3k.
I cant see spending 3 or even 4k on a mower that has weak engines and transmissions.
Will continue to look around,,wife will NOT let me spend too much.
Thanks for all your help on the forums.

I honestly believe that the majority of those failures are people using their lawn tractors like a farm tractor. They buy a JD thinking "Wow, it's John Deere, it must be capable of anything." Then they proceed to pull their 5x10 trailer full of firewood or rip-rap stones up and down the hills in the yard and wonder why their yard tractor that they paid $1500 to $3000 for failed after a couple of years. If you use them on for what they are intended for - and with a K46 tranny or less, that's mowing a relatively flat yard and pulling a reasonable load like a yard cart full of mulch - AND maintain them per the manufacturer's instruction - they will last a good long time. Just my 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You really do get what you pay for. The used JD market seems like it might be the way to go for you. T-Mo recently bought a 318 in this thread. He had to travel a little ways to go get it. My point is they are out there. Great machines for not so much money. I'm sure T-Mo might even be able to help you find a few good buys. If you want good quality, you're either going to have to go used, or expand your budget for a better bigger mower that will last a lot longer.

My dad likes to be cheap. He questioned my purchase of a Stihl FS110 straight shaft brush cutter/string trimmer. It was 4 times the cost of his trimmer. He thought I was crazy. That was almost 10 years ago. He has replaced his trimmer at least 5 times by now. I'm still using the same Stihl trimmer that's been through a bunch of crap and back. It still runs like new. Not to mention it has more power and capabilities. Now who's crazy? :mocking: I learned a long time ago, buy quality, not quantity.:drinks:
I hear ya on that,i also bought a stihl chainsaw when my father was always buying one every year,been 15 years still using the same chainsaw,2 or 3 pulls and it's running.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts