Green Tractor Talk banner

New John Deere purchase

2360 Views 22 Replies 22 Participants Last post by  Marx1025R
Hi I have 2 acres with a good size riding arena and the dirt is super hard and rocky the arena has not been maintained. I called my dealer and they suggested the 1025 with a Gannon I don’t think that the tractor wii be enough should I get the 2 series a 2025 or 2032. I don’t want to buy a new tractor and it is not big enough for my job. Thanks and thoughts.
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Check out the what did you do with your scut today thread. Tractor time with tim has hundreds of videos showing the capabilities.

its hard to know what you need from your description. You should make a list of all the attachments you need and pick the machine that can run everything you need.

welcometo GTT!
See less See more
Reactions: 3
Welcome from NW SD.

rob
Reactions: 1
its hard to know what you need from your description. You should make a list of all the attachments you need and pick the machine that can run everything you need.
X2

Welcome to GTT
See less See more
Check out the what did you do with your scut today thread. Tractor time with tim has hundreds of videos showing the capabilities.

welcometo GTT!
X3. - The biggest difference between the 1025 and 2025 is rear tire size and ground clearance. The 2025s are commonly referred to as 1.5 series.

The 2032 (and 2038) are significantly larger machines. As was mentioned by Jimmy, put a list together of the implements you think you'll end up using and ensure that what you pick will cover them.
The 1025R is a VERY capable machine and I'd be suprised if it couldn't do all that you need. The question is how quickly you need it done. Larger tractors will generally have the power to run larger implements, reducing the amount of time it takes for a task. Larger tractors also consume more fuel require more space to maneuver and store.

Welcome to GTT from SE PA!

Edit: To the point of speed - I spent the better part of a day digging out a stump with my 1025R's backhoe. I could have rented a mini-ex and likely had it out in less than 2 hours or used a large stump grinder and it would have been minutes.
See less See more
Reactions: 4
Welcome to GTT
Welcome from Central Ohio
Welcome to GTT.

What is a Gannon?
Reactions: 2
Welcome to GTT.

What is a Gannon?
I think it's a box blade.

If you're going to just be maintaining your arena then you probably need a land rake as well. If you can swing the 2032 you won't regret having a little more tractor. Heck, might as well go for a 3 series! LOL
See less See more
I started with a 2305 14 years ago, then a 2320, and now waiting for the 2032R to arrive. Each of those would correspond to a 1025 and 2025. I think a 2025 would be a great tractor for you to start, or perhaps, end your John Deere expedition through time.
Welcome. I have the 1025TLB for 3.5 acres. It’s the perfect size tractor for me. I needed a tractor after retiring and moving to a much larger property in a farm and horse community. I totally had the money for a bigger rig but got the 1025 instead. The bigger rig would have been better for some of the beginning property needs but After initial work a MCUT would have been too big. Very happy with my SCUT. Just finished spreading 10 yards of top soil. The rig is used so much more than I ever thought.
See less See more
Welcome i have a 2038R and it handles everything i need. You never hear someone saying "I wish I bought a smaller tractor""
Welcome from VA.
Welcome from mid Michigan
Welcome from the Mitten

As some stated Tractor Time with Tim has some great videos on capability of the different series. My thought is 2 series being bigger frame might be better as 3 point lift height and loader capacity will be more. My 2 pennies
Hi I have 2 acres with a good size riding arena and the dirt is super hard and rocky the arena has not been maintained. I called my dealer and they suggested the 1025 with a Gannon I don’t think that the tractor wii be enough should I get the 2 series a 2025 or 2032. I don’t want to buy a new tractor and it is not big enough for my job. Thanks and thoughts.
There are probably 10 or 12 equestrian event and riding stables and arenas around here and most use ABI grooming equipment. They also use larger machines. Most are using JD 3 series size machines not only for dressing the arenas but handling hay bales, sand and soil moving tasks. Do your homework before you purchase. It's always more expensive to buy twice.

ABI equipment
See less See more
Welcome to GTT from Wisconsin.
Welcome from New York
Hello everyone, I grew up with John deere tractors from the 40s and 50s and a few from the late 20s. But I just made my first purchase of a 1988 John deere 318 garden tractor yesterday, no major issue with it at this time it came with a 48" mower deck and the snow blade.
Welcome from western pa
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.