Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1025r with FEL and 260 BH.

I like the tractor. A little under powered but that's what you get when you purchase a sub compact tractor. I think the tractor would do better with three drive ranges. A super low range would give a little more towing power and help the FEL when digging in to get a load. Just a thought.

The front end loader works well. No real complaints there other than the the super low range mentioned above.

Now the 260 back hoe. I am disappointed in the power of the bucket. It has trouble breaking roots. I am wondering if I should have the hydraulic pressure tested. But maybe that is normal??? The boom won't stay vertical. It starts settling down almost immediately after being pulled vertical. I have talked to the salesman about this but so far he doesn't seem eager to do anything about it. The boom hydraulic control lever is very sensitive. It wants to jump and jerk. The boom slams to the top very easily. I have to be very gentle with it. I am getting a little better feel for it but it is hard to move smoothly. Is my experience with boom operation normal? Or is there some thing wrong in the valve?

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Thanks for joining us. I don't have a backhoe so I am not much help there. On the FEL a tooth bar helps greatly in digging and such. I have the Parinna(?) from BPexpnaded and it is wicked. good luck :good2:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
:wgtt:

Based on what I have read and videos I have watched, the jerkiness of the backhoe is what others reported as well until they got the feel for it.

What rpm's are you running the engine? If the rpm's are low the hydraulics will seem weak.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome from Illinois. Thanks for joining us. I don't have a backhoe so I am not much help there. On the FEL a tooth bar helps greatly in digging and such. I have the Parinna(?) from BPexpnaded and it is wicked. good luck :good2:
I have thought about getting a tooth bar. My plan is to use it to clear some overgrown areas of my property. I think the bar could be a big help. The dealer didn't have one to sell me. I guess JD doesn't even offer one for this loader. I'll check out the Parinna. Thanks! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Based on what I have read and videos I have watched, the jerkiness of the backhoe is what others reported as well until they got the feel for it.

What rpm's are you running the engine? If the rpm's are low the hydraulics will seem weak.

I have been keeping the RPM's low to try to help reduce jerkiness. Probably I'll up the RPM's when I get a better handle on the boom control.

Thanks

·
Registered
967 Posts
Yup, the 260 is a little jerky.... That is why I indulge with the cans over the bottles. LOL. You get use to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland and fellow 1025R owner. The 260 backhoe boom is very jerky / sensitive. Use slight movement for the boom. Also you may have better luck getting through roots with a ripper blade vice bucket. I have the ripper from BXpanded and have better results cutting through roots for stump removal than the bucket. This 260 backhoe is handy for smaller jobs but it's just a baby!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes - the boom control is particularly sensitive and take some practice to be smooth using. It's a 1600lb tractor, so it isn't going to just rip stumps out of the ground. The trick with stumps is to remove lots of dirt surrounding the stump and roots - the dirt is what holds them down. Then you'll have better luck breaking roots and getting the stubborn thing out. Lots of people keep a battery power sawzall handy for roots.

Your boom shouldn't sag that quickly. After a day or more just setting without the pin installed - sure, but not right away. I always pin the boom when not in use and my outriggers will start to droop after a day or so - no big deal, I'll bungee those if it bugs me enough.

Congrats on the new rig! :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
20,668 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida. I have the piranha tooth bar and it works great. I also have the 260 backhoe and have ripped out a few tree stumps with it without problem, although they were only small 8 to 10 inch diameter trunks and our soil is very sandy. You will get use to the backhoe after some practice, just be patient.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,261 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,067 Posts
Welcome To Green Tractor Talk From The Pacific NW - Oregon

:kidw_truck_smiley: :kidw_truck_smiley: :kidw_truck_smiley:

Marlin :cowboy:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes - the boom control is particularly sensitive and take some practice to be smooth using. It's a 1600lb tractor, so it isn't going to just rip stumps out of the ground. The trick with stumps is to remove lots of dirt surrounding the stump and roots - the dirt is what holds them down. Then you'll have better luck breaking roots and getting the stubborn thing out. Lots of people keep a battery power sawzall handy for roots.

Your boom shouldn't sag that quickly. After a day or more just setting without the pin installed - sure, but not right away. I always pin the boom when not in use and my outriggers will start to droop after a day or so - no big deal, I'll bungee those if it bugs me enough.

Congrats on the new rig! :bigthumb:
The dealer is picking it up tomorrow. Not sure they were real happy about it doing it. Since since the boom is sagging as quickly as it is practically just out of the factory, I don't want to wait to see what it will be like in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
The dealer is picking it up tomorrow. Not sure they were real happy about it doing it. Since since the boom is sagging as quickly as it is practically just out of the factory, I don't want to wait to see what it will be like in a couple of years.
There is a specification on how fast these cylinders / scv's leak down before they will fix under warranty. I believe it is 4" per hour on the FEL main boom. They were posted on here a couple of years ago. However, I have never seen the specs for the backhoe. Mine leaks down as well, but apparently not as fast as yours.

Oh, and yes, these backhoes are incredibly jerky. I'm getting better at it, but it is not easy to control these without jerking. Just remember how much better it is than a shovel :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There is a specification on how fast these cylinders / scv's leak down before they will fix under warranty. I believe it is 4" per hour on the FEL main boom. They were posted on here a couple of years ago. However, I have never seen the specs for the backhoe. Mine leaks down as well, but apparently not as fast as yours.

Oh, and yes, these backhoes are incredibly jerky. I'm getting better at it, but it is not easy to control these without jerking. Just remember how much better it is than a shovel :)
Everybody that has responded has said that the jerkiness is normal. I am already getting a little better. Not slamming it to the top as often. :good2:

Thanks everybody that responded

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

An update here. Got it back from the dealer. They told me that the spec is that boom cylinder should not settle down more .33 inches in half an hour. Surprise... They said it was within spec. Gonna keep watching it. It may go back to them this winter :laugh:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts