Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 11 yrs and a lot of sole searching, I bought a new trailer on Fri and released the old gooseneck. It was a tough one as over the years, I had roughly $17k in the oldie with all of the mods and work that had been done. Here is a photo of it with the 2038R. Used trailers dont go for much these days just so you know.......

IMG_1855 (2).jpg

But after using the new Lamar manual tilt deck for the first time, it was all worth it for the ease of use. Lamar is 20ft with 16.5ft of manual tilt and 3.5 foot of fixed. Has 7k Dexter torsion axles for just under 10K of hauling weight with the trailer weighing in at just under 4k itself. No ramps, no hassles. Pulls and rides very nicely. Its amazing that it weighs almost the same and hauls almost the same but that new Lamar is a way better option for me as I am getting older and lazier....:laugh: It will need a few things, tool box and rhino liner on the rear deck plate/ramp(area behind front tractor wheels) as its very slick when wet but nothing else.

IMG_2897.jpg IMG_2896.jpg IMG_2898.jpg IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2900.jpg

I really wanted this aluminum 20 ft full deck hydraulic tilt but at almost $11k, it was WAY too much $$$$. It was a sweet trailer though by H&H !! :bigthumb: I also looked at a full deck 20ft PJ Trailer hydraulic steel/wood but with how little I use it, these hydraulic would require more maintenance long term.

IMG_2877.jpg IMG_2879.jpg

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
That's a dandy! The tilt-deck appears to be hydraulic dampened? Does that make the transition from tilted to flat go pretty smooth?

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts
Fantastic looking trailer! I'm looking for something similar myself as the Big Tex 16'er I have is a bit short for the 3720 and implements, plus I really want a tilt-deck.

Can you detail your decision to go with a bumper pull after having the goose? Seems most guys go the other way?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a dandy! The tilt-deck appears to be hydraulic dampened? Does that make the transition from tilted to flat go pretty smooth?
Yes, it is dampened with that hydraulic shock. It has a quarter turn valve that you can adjust some to control the how fast it tilts. It also will shut the tilt off completely. It is not the best adjustment but it does work.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Are those Aluminum wheels? Or Chrome steel wheels? Hard for me to tell in the pictures.

I would check the tire weight rating. My 14K trailer came with tires rated 3054 lbs, which times 4 did not make 14K lbs.

I have a 2005 Load Trail hydraulic tilt trailer, 14K, 16' tilt & 4' fixed IIRC.

The two things I do not like: are that it's all up hill when loading. I had to bolt cross bars to the diamond plate tail to get better traction loading. I also have t use 4wd for controlled loading. If I ever replace it, I think I'll get one with fold up ramps :dunno: but it might be cheaper to add a winch.

The other thing I do not like, is they used "scotch locks" for all the wiring splices, a cheap way to do it. I have had to replace most, if not all of them.

Mine also had the trailer plug wired wrong. Might have been just mine. The wire for charging the hydraulics battery was wired to the reverse lights of the plug on my tow vehicle. I was working 2nd shift. I picked the trailer up on the way to work. I bought it home after my shift ended. Next morning I tried to show off the tilt, nothing, battery dead. I charged the battery and as it was charging, I saw the backup lights were "ON" on my tow vehicle. I am guessing the backup lights were ON until the battery died while I was at work. :nunu:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic looking trailer! I'm looking for something similar myself as the Big Tex 16'er I have is a bit short for the 3720 and implements, plus I really want a tilt-deck.

Can you detail your decision to go with a bumper pull after having the goose? Seems most guys go the other way?

Here is the long answer.........

I really enjoyed having the gooseneck and when fully loaded, it was a dream to pull. But with just a small partial load(tractor lets say), it was very bouncy even if you had the load right were it needed to be because of the "flex" in the trailer. A lot of the newer goosenecks have the wheels further back putting more weight in the bed of the truck due to higher hauling capacities which helps with the "flex". Over all length of old trailer was 34ft.(23 deck, 2 ft dove, 9ft neck). A lot of wind drag when pulling due to neck and ramps. New trailer 26ft total length (4ft tounge, 20ft deck, 2 ft dove). Only 3 less feet of usable deck space but it saves me 8 ft of driveway space.

Dealing with the ramps(folding, unfolding, sliding, positioning correctly, etc) became a chore. However, the main kicker for me was hooking it up. Back many yrs ago when I used it a lot, it was routine to hook it up. Most of the time it lined up and put the neck right over the ball the first time. But in the last 5 yrs with very little use, it would take me 10 min to line it up. In and out of the truck 5-7 times. Then climbing in and out of the bed to latch and hook chains up plus turn over the ball added another 10 or so min. (Toyed with the idea of getting a wireless camera that I could stick on my tool box but it never happened).

So now, with the factory installed back up camera, I can line it up and hook it up in less than 5 mins. No climbing in and out of truck or truck bed. Pull 2 pins and tilt deck, drive on/off and put pins back in, lock tilt. Strap/Unstrap and go. Much easier and simple :bigthumb:

And I will say Big Tex has a manual tilt deck trailer that I looked at online as well (PJ Trailers are owned by Big Tex) but I did not go and look at it in person. The Big Tex does say its about 500lbs lighter than mine so that is an advantage. All have roughly 11-12 degrees of tilt. If I was going to use it all of the time, I would have gone with the full hydraulic tilt deck that all 3 companies have which creates a full 20ft of usable deck space while tilted.

Other big advantage to Lamar for me that I found was fender height. Over all trailer deck is 6 inches higher than PJ and Big Tex due to those trailers running DROP torsion axles. But because of that, it made the removable fenders almost mandatory if you loaded a car as there is 15 inches of fender hieght. My Lamar trailer only has 9 inches of fender thus no real need to ever remove the fender. Again, less work to load and unload.

And finally, I really liked the small marker LED's on my trailer as opposed to the larger LED marker lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are those Aluminum wheels? Or Chrome steel wheels? Hard for me to tell in the pictures.

I would check the tire weight rating. My 14K trailer came with tires rated 3054 lbs, which times 4 did not make 14K lbs.

I have a 2005 Load Trail hydraulic tilt trailer, 14K, 16' tilt & 4' fixed IIRC.

The two things I do not like: are that it's all up hill when loading. I had to bolt cross bars to the diamond plate tail to get better traction loading. I also have t use 4wd for controlled loading. If I ever replace it, I think I'll get one with fold up ramps :dunno: but it might be cheaper to add a winch.

The other thing I do not like, is they used "scotch locks" for all the wiring splices, a cheap way to do it. I have had to replace most, if not all of them.

Mine also had the trailer plug wired wrong. Might have been just mine. The wire for charging the hydraulics battery was wired to the reverse lights of the plug on my tow vehicle. I was working 2nd shift. I picked the trailer up on the way to work. I bought it home after my shift ended. Next morning I tried to show off the tilt, nothing, battery dead. I charged the battery and as it was charging, I saw the backup lights were "ON" on my tow vehicle. I am guessing the backup lights were ON until the battery died while I was at work. :nunu:

They are just the painted steel wheels. Tires are Load range E roughly the same rating as yours. I had the same tires on my old gooseneck which was a 14k rated trailer(10K of load) and I ran it fully loaded a lot without any tire issues. Ended up replacing them due to tire-rot not tead wear or damage from full loads.

And mine is a manual tilt, no power needed. It just has a hydraulic damper to "control" the tilt speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
That has always been one of my "deal breakers" with any brand of trailer which uses Scotch Locks. Same with any brand which routes wiring through the rough cut frame or structure holes without grommets. Such things are assured to cause a problem and many people simply can't deal with chasing down bad electrical connections, etc. So what often (but not always) happens? People pull trailers with partially or even non functioning lights, which is a major safety issue for the public at large, especially with today's distracted drivers........

When I would consider new brands of trailers for my dealership, few things would rule them out faster than Scotch locks........also, for years, many trailers were using used tires to keep the cost down, which was also a deal killer for me. Another issue is also another thing you found on your trailer, the tires not meeting the designed trailer weight rating. You would think that the manufacturer of trailers would not want to put tires on a trailer which don't match it's capacity, but that was also a common thing by some companies.

The good news is 8 out of 10 trailer makers do a decent job, assuming of course you don't buy your trailer at a big box store from people who know nothing about what they sell..................(nor do most care).........

So, how much snow did you get last night into this morning? We ended up with about 7" of wet heavy snow when it stopped snowing late last night and still had about 4" left by 8am today, all gone by noon..........

·
Registered
290 Posts
I see that there is what appears to be a second hydraulic cylinder in series with the tilt cylinder. Is it a component with the ability to adjust the tilt speed?

Dave

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I see that there is what appears to be a second hydraulic cylinder in series with the tilt cylinder. Is it a component with the ability to adjust the tilt speed?

Dave
I would guess that cylinder is used for fluid storage for when the damping cylinder is retracted.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would guess that cylinder is used for fluid storage for when the damping cylinder is retracted.

You are correct. The horizontal cylinder is the storage tank. That metal bar sticking out of it pushes out further towards the edge of the trailer as the deck is coming down.

The only speed adjusment is the quarter turn knob in the second pic. If you close it half way, it really slows the deck down and if you close it all the way while the deck is up, you can not put the deck down. I did not ask how much weight it would hold up with the valve closed but its a good question that I did not think of so I need to ask

·
Registered
614 Posts
Nice trailer, tilt decks are sweet!
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a 2010 pj tilt trailer 21' total deck 4' fixed ....11deg of tilt (wanted that so i could load sissor lifts) ...drop torsion axles...manual tilt....83" between 13" high fenders...full brakes

other than limitations between the fenders this type trailer is fantastic......i unlock the deck...step on back to lower it ( i set the dampner to where it will slowly lower with me standing on it and leave it)........drive whatever on the deck till it tilts back to level plus a foot or so to put some weight on tounge....lock the bed down ...

like you say its i a 5 min hookup by myself

pulls like a dream

beats the heck out of any style of ramp trailer loading wise

had a full deck tilt before and the load angle on this one is much lower and in my opinion the split deck is a superior concept

i have hauled ...skid loaders...boom lifts...tractors...etc...10k pulls the same as 5k...

only negative is the limited deck space between the fenders

Excellent trailer choice..:bigthumb:

I need to find me a deckover 20k trailer now for bigger and wider stuff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
So, how much snow did you get last night into this morning? We ended up with about 7" of wet heavy snow when it stopped snowing late last night and still had about 4" left by 8am today, all gone by noon..........
:hijacked: We were on the southern edge of the storm. 1/4" or less :mocking: looked more like sno-cone ice than snow :focus:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Well, after 11 yrs and a lot of sole searching, I bought a new trailer on Fri and released the old gooseneck. It was a tough one as over the years, I had roughly $17k in the oldie with all of the mods and work that had been done. Here is a photo of it with the 2038R. Used trailers dont go for much these days just so you know.......

View attachment 683458
Used trailers are cheap in FL is what you're saying? I may have to head south then!
Your old trailer is about what I'm looking for, and they are $6-7k all day in the used market.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Used trailers are cheap in FL is what you're saying? I may have to head south then!
Your old trailer is about what I'm looking for, and they are $6-7k all day in the used market.

Guess I should have posted it for sale on here first......:laugh:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tool box added this afternoon to the new trailer. Harbor Freight Haul Master 2.75 cu Ft. Left plenty of space for access to emergency brake charger and trailer jack stand. 3rd photo makes box look a lot wider but it only over hangs the trailer by 1.1" in the back. Box was $120 minus the 25% off mothers day coupon then add shipping for a total of $110. Spent $12 for "custom" mounting hardware so no trailer drilling or welding necessary(2 superstrut brackets) Brackets are hanging onto the cross member between the tounge(should have taken a pre photo) I also used some 3/8 foam padding to protect the trailer from the box and you get this......

IMG_2959.jpg
IMG_2960.jpg
IMG_2962.jpg
IMG_2963.jpg
IMG_2964.jpg
IMG_2965.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts