Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I’m not sure if this is the right place for buying advice, sorry if it’s not!

My wife and I brought 5 acres of land that has about 2 acres of flat grass and 3 acres of light wooded areas.
We are going to build a house on it but in the meantime I need to mow!
I’m a complete tractor newbie so this is all very new to me.
I quickly ruled out the s100s and the s200s. So I was between x300s and x500s
The more we looked into it, the more we started thinking that we wanted to buy something much more than just a mower. These are now the kind of things we’re imagining doing.

First off, we’d like to be able to use a tiller. I’d love to have a front bucket for moving mulch/gravel and digging light trenches. We’re now talking about doing some of the land clearing and post construction landscaping ourselves which would further justify the price. I can also imagine digging out and leveling a driveway or patio.

So clearly with all of that we’re no longer in the X300 range. Now I think we’re in the 500,700 and even 1025 range.
I thought that the 580 would do it for us. Seemed like it was just ok enough for ground contact work. I also saw bucket attachments like the Johnny bucket jr and thought we’d be good to go.
Then I learned a little bit about hydraulics and 3 point hitches. It would appear that the x500s do not have either of those capabilities and having those capabilities seem necessary for the kind of things we’d like to do (maybe?)

I think the most we’d like to spend would be around 20k so I think that puts out of the compact tractor range.

What are your guys thoughts? Will a 500 series cut it? Doesn’t seem like it to me. Does the 700 series have what we need? If so what model? Also what kind of things do I need to outfit it with when I buy It, 3 point hitch? Front hitch? Brackets? Ext.
I appreciate any advice/help/resources you could provide!

thanks
Kevin

· Registered
3,503 Posts
A 1025 with loader, mower, and tiller should be less that 20K. The online pricing of Deeres website seem to be off. Talk to dealer for a real quote and usually there is room to negotiate. My setup was over 4000 less than the build your own tool online.
Good luck and welcome to GTT!

· Senior GTT Super Slacker
46,829 Posts
My wife and I brought 5 acres of land that has about 2 acres of flat grass and 3 acres of light wooded areas.
We are going to build a house on it but in the meantime I need to mow!
I’m a complete tractor newbie so this is all very new to me.
Welcome to GTT.
I have to tell ya, you'll never get what you paid for a lawn tractor when you trade it in for a 1025R.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Welcome, and with your budget and needs a 1 series is what you are looking for. It will do everything you listed and then some.

You could equip an x7 to do all the same stuff by adding attachments over time but you would likely be better served in the near term by the 1 series.

Since you are building the house new you can set up all the landscaping and buildings to allow room for the 1 series to move around. Including the extra space you need in your outbuilding to store it all.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
I have both a 445 I bought new in 1994 and a 1026R I bought new in 2013 and love them both. I have the 54" mid mount mower for both and the Front End Loader on the 1026R I used both to mow for the first year after I bought the 1026R, after that I stopped using the 1026R for mowing. With the cab it was to much hassle trying to mow around the hundreds of cedars and pines I have on the property. I now use the 445 for mowing and yard tug duty and the 1026R for FEL work and running the Brush Cutter and Wood Chipper. I would in my experience recommend the 1025R for your conditions and if you don't have a cab and lots of trees it does a good job mowing. I also have two wheel weights on each rear wheel and the cab on the 1026R and under soft ground conditions, it will leave tracks. The 445 also has the same wheel weights and will not leave as many tracks as it is a few hundred pounds lighter. I don't worry about it as my "yard" as it is just mowed over cow pasture that I mow just to keep the popular trees and brush from taking over and keep the tick populations down. It all depends on how much you worship your yard.
I like the 445 for mowing as I can get under the trees with minor scratches to my body and not damage the trees. I have used both for Snow Blowing in the winter in the past and that is the reason I got the cab for the 1026R as 18 years with out one on the 445 in the winter was to much for me as I aged. IF you can afford two tractors, I would think an X5xx for mowing duties and the 1025R with the FEL, Tiller would be a great combination.

Reactions: 99f250 and JR Diyer

· Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
I think the most we’d like to spend would be around 20k so I think that puts out of the compact tractor range.
A 1023E with loader is $17,445 MSRP. And you can probably get a 1025R with loader for under $20K if you worked it. You wouldn't get a whole lot of other implements at that price but...

And of course you could look for a used 2210, 2305, 1026R, 1023E or 1025R. I've seen 2210's with a loader at about 400 hours go for under $10K easily. You wouldn't have the factory warranty but...

· Registered
387 Posts
one more thing i wish i did at time of purchase, factor in the maximum ballast option. Get a ballast box or Heavy hitch double and make it loaded-down with 70lb weights.. so whatever your buy with a front-end-loader (FEL), factor-in the ballast option.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Morning

I had an old 210 for a long time (deere 10hp w/ 47" deck) It mowed very well. But I acquired more land, and needed to be faster. Most fellows here would agree that the 5 and 7 series deere's are really nice, will last a long time.

But if you want a more capable front end loader / mower / tiller / snow / dirt blade etc, and have the budget (buy once, cry once) I'd say do a one series. 1025R

I suspect after you mow 2 acres, cut down & move a tree, or future project: move 5yds of dirt or gravel - you'll think "those guys on GTT were right, good call"

Stop by your local dealer, look them over, drive one (hopefully the dealer has one on hand)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the replies.
I will continue to look at the 1 series.
the problem with the 1023e is that it doesn’t have cruise control. As I will spend most of my time mowing this seems like something that would really annoy me. Maybe not idk. I’ll continue to play around with the pricing online since you guys seem to be pretty confident that it’s doable for around 20k

· Registered
1,544 Posts
One thing I would suggest that if you are buying new, just before you sign on the dotted line ask the dealer to throw in the service and parts manuals for no additional charge. I have all the manuals for both of my tractors at no additional charge. In 94 they were the printed manuals in 13 I got the digital CD manual and printed out the sections I wanted and put the pages in a three ring binder. Cost me some paper and the binder but I don't have the sections on engine overhaul that I never will do again in this life time. As for Cruise Control, I have it on both my 445 and 1026R and seldom use it. I did use it on the 445 when I drove it the 6 miles into town to get some parts to get my car back on the road. Never will do that again, cars were shaving me to close.

· Registered
1,511 Posts
Wow you guys are awesome! Thanks for all the replies.
I will continue to look at the 1 series.
the problem with the 1023e is that it doesn’t have cruise control. As I will spend most of my time mowing this seems like something that would really annoy me. Maybe not idk. I’ll continue to play around with the pricing online since you guys seem to be pretty confident that it’s doable for around 20k
I've never used cruise control once. I certainly wouldn't hang my hat on that option being a deal breaker.

· Registered
1,544 Posts
The one thing that set me on the 1026R vice the 1023 was the positional control of the three point hitch. I use it with the brush cutter. Once I have my cutting height set, it is easy to lift and reposition as required. With my Wood Chipper it is not needed. I would think using a tiller, it would make life so much easier. Not sure about this as I don't have a tiller, but I would think depth of tilling would be important. I know on my Walk behind Troy Built it is nice to be consistent.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

· Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
the problem with the 1023e is that it doesn’t have cruise control. As I will spend most of my time mowing this seems like something that would really annoy me. Maybe not idk.
shrugs I have cruise control on both my mower and my tractor. I've never used it on either.

· Premium Member
1,592 Posts
For mowing, if the tractor has hydrostatic drive, cruise is a must in my book. If its a gear drive tractor, cruise isnt needed, throttle control is standard (set engine speed, select gear and go)

I think what others have said is spot on, new 1 series, or similar size used. Always best to have a relationship with a dealer close by, so if you are "shopping", give him last look...

· Registered
3,503 Posts
I use cruise while tilling. It's nice to just sit and relax until time to turn around and reset. :cool:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.