Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
California moves toward ban on gas lawnmowers and leaf blowers (yahoo.com)

This is going to put a big squeeze on a lot of lawncare businesses and home owners. I find it interesting that the FED's are ok with 25hp and under not having as strict of emissions as 25hp and above but California thinks different.

I am wondering if this going to impact the sales of saw JD's 1, 2 and some 3 series tractors. It would appear that their 7x series and entry level lawn tractors are mostly done for.

I guess you can step up to 25 hp and above machines if they want to stay gas or diesel?

·
Registered
13,513 Posts
California has had its own small engine emissions laws for decades.

Not all Deere models are offered there, and those that are all have special exhaust.

Reactions: Akovia and Pigpen

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
California needs to sink into the ocean........

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
2,103 Posts
It's effectively the same result... they won't be buying small engines if they are underwater or under their "Rulers thumb".

·
Premium Member
16,043 Posts
Could be interesting. They specifically mention chainsaws. Can you see a tree guy coming in to take down a 36-inch oak tree with a battery powered saw? I can see a lot of tree folks buying up some inventory to last them until retirement. :)

I also found this one interesting... "New portable gas-powered generators also must be zero-emissions by 2028, which also could be delayed at the discretion of the state agency."

What will be the definition of "portable"? It sounds like someone has been smitten by the current rash of battery powered inverters. A lot of folks use a "portable" generator for whole-house emergency power but that ain't happening with those battery powered inverters. With the current condition of the CA power grid, emergency power is more critical than ever.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Once they get the charging stations installed....
Hahaha yeah, my question is just where do they think they'll get the energy to supply the charging stations?? From a wimpy solar farm or wind farm? Current infrustructure can barely keep up with energy demands as it is, so when all those charging stations go online it'll just be total blackout lol.

Hope they keep all that bs in their own state and pay for it with their own money (not likely).

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Could be interesting. They specifically mention chainsaws. Can you see a tree guy coming in to take down a 36-inch oak tree with a battery powered saw?
They have trees left in California.

Reactions: Herminator

·
Registered
637 Posts
<<< >>>
Many here will say that should include the whole west coast including Vancouver, spit, area.... This another thread..

The thinking being the problem with them sinking is there will be survivors... And they will disperse among the rest of us... And like many that have left that area, bringing there "do it my way" ideas with them..

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think about the demise of internal combustion engines, then while out driving I see these new mega-fuel stations being built where I live in NC.
It's a conundrum to say the least.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I heard a rumor that we won’t be able to by a gas walk behind mower in 5 years. I’m not sure if it’s true, but I did notice there’s lots of battery powered mowers at box stores. I bought a new chain saw this summer, maybe I should buy a leaf blower too, then I’d probably be set for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
880 Posts
What starts in the land of fruits and nuts (california residents) tends to spread to the rest of the USA ,, unfortunately.
I look forward to an electric pickup truck and am pretty sure my next PU will be an EV.

I don't look forward to having immature technology forced on me by an overbearing out of control government.

·
Registered
578 Posts
People have no idea just how onerous emissions standards are and how much it effects and costs products we use daily.

I run a chainsaw 5 days a week in the Winter and the new auto tune saws suck. I am talking high pro line saws. I have had 3 autotunes and have got rid of 2 of them, and have been stocking up on Husqvarna 3xx XP series.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I don't think combustion engines are going anywhere anytime soon. Maybe the small ones like weed wackers and such but not larger ones, there is waaaayyyy too much money to be made yet by Big Oil!

1 - 20 of 165 Posts