Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I just joined the forum.
To introduce myself before I post a question- I own a small tree farm in the Pacific NW, and farm equipment includes a JD model 4200 tractor.
My question (and please let me know if this isn’t the place to post it)-
For snow, does bio ballast provide as much traction as chains?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Welcome from Tennessee!
This section of the Forum is for people to introduce themselves, so your first 3 lines are perfect... except maybe (??) for "JD model 4200 tracker", typo tractor or ??... and it's all downhill after line 3!
From the home page or Forum page, scroll down to the CUT Forums. I think (??) the 4200 is a Medium CUT but not 100% sure. Maybe someone else will chime in to correct me. Go there and start a new thread and you'll get more answers!
Now, "For snow," what will you be doing in the snow, just driving, blading, blowing? I would definitely use ballast, no matter what you're doing! If your blading or blowing and not getting down to dirt or driveway, you may have packed snow and chains will be a help. Bob

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Welcome from southern KY!

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,802 Posts
Welcome from the Great Lakes State............

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How-do, and welcome from Florida! And no "how do" is not a typo lol.

Your best bet for getting some solid advice is, as mentioned, posting in the appropriate technical forum for your machine. There you will find other owners that are familiar with your model and can give you tips and advice as well as share their own experiences.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Welcome aboard from western PA

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome from western pa

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Welcome from mid Michigan.

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob

·
Registered
680 Posts
Welcome to GTT from NE Illinois

·
Super Moderator
10,473 Posts
Hi All,
I just joined the forum.
To introduce myself before I post a question- I own a small tree farm in the Pacific NW, and farm equipment includes a JD model 4200 tractor.
My question (and please let me know if this isn’t the place to post it)-
For snow, does bio ballast provide as much traction as chains?
Now that's what I call a new member introduction!

Welcome aboard from Massachusetts!

To answer your question, nothing beats chains for snow traction although some ballast is better than none at all. Filled tires and a ballast box or rear hitch with weights are helpful.

Reactions: Mackford13

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Welcome from Central Indiana!
To answer your question- ballast does not replace chains. You should have liquid tire ballast but still may need chains if it’s icy. Your specific conditions will dictate what you need.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Welcome from central Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
1,332 Posts
If you want to move snow with a blower or a blade, you will need rear ballast. The weight on the front end from the blower or blade will take weight off your rear tires, which will reduce your traction. It also puts a lot of weight on the front axle which is not where you want it. By putting ballast behind the rear axle, you shift weight from the front of the tractor in addition to adding the ballast amount to the rear. It won't hurt at all to fill your rear tires with liquid ballast. This will lower your center of gravity. But it won't amplify the weight like when you put it behind the tractor. On my 1025R, somewhere between 400 and 500 lbs is right for rear ballast when snowblowing or blading. Too much weight back there takes too much off the front axle and you'll have trouble steering. Chains will help you in icy conditions. In my experience, chains are more important for stopping the tractor when you want to stop than they are for getting the tractor moving in the first place. Chains are not a substitute for having enough ballast in the right places. Blowing snow and even blading snow are wonderful experiences. They are part of the great joy of owning a tractor. Please make sure your tractor is set up properly with ballast so that the joy is lasting and safe.

Keane

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.