Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On August 2nd, I took possession of a John Deere 4600 HST with 460 Loader and 48 Backhoe. The machine is 10 years old, but only had 435 hours when I got it.:thumbup1gif:

In 12 days, I have put 42 hours on the machine. I have dug a number of stumps of varying sizes (at least 2 were slightly larger than the one in the photo), dug out a bunch of those "granite potatoes" up to about 3 feet across, and done a little grading. Most of this was in the making of a tractor road to get from my garage, through the area back of the house, to avoid turning the lawn into a road.

I want to clean up some of my property. As my wife says, she wants me to "push the wilderness back." We also have some old skidder roads in our wooded 19 acres, which I would like to improve for snowshoeing, walking, access to firewood etc. I'm 64 years old, now. I figure I can peck away at this project for the rest of my life before I could say there's nothing left to do!

Anyway, it's what I want to do. I guess it's in my blood. My grandfather had a 100 acre wood lot. Over his later years, he turned several acres of it into a pretty nice campground for family and friends.

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,271 Posts
:welcomedt
Dennis! What a nice looking machine you found!

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Welcome Dennis. I think that 4600 will serve you quite well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Welcome To Deeretalk

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Hey Dennis, sweet machine. When I got my little Kubota B21 TLB I had no idea how useful it would be. I had 20 acres back then and there were a bunch of projects that suddenly became doable.

So congrats and have a blast :good2:. I know you will...

Pete

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A milestone

As I was using the tractor yesterday (Labor Day), I realized that I was at an interesting milestone. When I bought the tractor, it had 435 hours on it. Yesterday, it had 492 and counting. I realized that, in just over a month's time, I have put on over 1/10th of the total hours on the tractor!:cool: That's made more interesting, considering that the tractor is 10 years old.

In celebration of this important milestone, I am attaching some photos of a rock that I just dug a grave for. It was too big to haul away, so I just dug a bigger hole, and buried it deeper. I got rained out about a third of the way through backfilling. Finishing that is my next project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Dennis,

I have done that, burying the rock trick severel times, works really well. I'd say you should be able to get another 500 hours and ten years from the ole gal. :good2:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dennis,

I have done that, burying the rock trick severel times, works really well. I'd say you should be able to get another 500 hours and ten years from the ole gal. :good2:
Randy -

I definitely want to go for another 10 years with it. I expect that, in that time, I'll add more like 2000 hours.:thumbup1gif: Maybe, by then, I'll have my rocks and stumps cleaned up and trails in good shape.

I need to take a few more photos to post, showing what I'm starting with, and what I'm doing. I'm already making progress, but have a long way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts