Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all. New member and tractor owner from Central VA. Just picked-up a 1990 JD 870 with front loader, backhoe, bush hog, finishing mower, and a few other goodies. Got it for use on a small lot on which I will building a home in the near future. Brand new to tractors and know nothing. I am looking forward to getting lots of good information here. Already looking for information as the loader's hoses all have pin hole leaks. Hoping to find good online sources for parts. Thanks!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,109 Posts
Welcome to GTT jmpancoast.

·
Registered
58 Posts
:wgtt:
From Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,132 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Administrator
20,364 Posts
Jump right in and post away! We'd love to see your 870. :good2:

·
Super Moderator
7,916 Posts
Welcome aboard from Massachusetts. Post some photos of your "new to you" rig.

:gtfam:

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Welcome

Good morning all. New member and tractor owner from Central VA. Just picked-up a 1990 JD 870 with front loader, backhoe, bush hog, finishing mower, and a few other goodies. Got it for use on a small lot on which I will building a home in the near future. Brand new to tractors and know nothing. I am looking forward to getting lots of good information here. Already looking for information as the loader's hoses all have pin hole leaks. Hoping to find good online sources for parts. Thanks!
Welcome

Since you are new to tractors, I would suggest getting to know your local dealer which is most likely James River Equipment. They have multiple locations in central Virginia.

It sounds like you have a great tractor package and I'm sure you will get lots of advice on here. If you don't have the owner's manuals, I strongly suggest downloading a copy and reading them before just jumping on the tractor and letting it rip. If the hoses are leaking, the only real solution is to replace them. You can either buy factory replacements or have them made locally. Many auto parts stores can make the hoses and there are a number of hydraulic shops in the central Va. area that can make the replacements. Just be sure they get the dimensions and especially the ends correct. Be very careful of hydraulics under pressure. High pressure fluid does bad things to your body and even what appears to be a minor leak can easily inject fluid into your skin or eyes if you get too close. Also remember that fluid is probably holding something up or in place even when everything is turned off. Before you crack (loosen) any fittings, make sure everything is where gravity will want it to be. With the engine off, move the appropriate controls in all directions a couple of times. Then use leather gloves and eye protection and slowly loosen the fitting until any pressure is released.

There's a good on line parts supplier as a sponsor on here but don't neglect your local dealer. There's lots of knowledge floating around and knowing those folks can really help you.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
Welcome from South Central PA

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,203 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Welcome from Illinois. Read all you can and go slow at first. Learn your tractor inside and out. Understand it and be safe. Good luck. We need pictures around here...:good2::good2:

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland

1 - 12 of 12 Posts