Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1025R
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great site! I learned about it from a friend with a lot of JD experience. I just bought a 1025R w/loader for our house, barn and a four acres. Should work great for us.

My first project is to cut a gravel drive from the street back to our barn behind the house...probably 500' or so. Right now, it is grass that is not all that thick. I'm assuming I need to remove top soil and level it out before I bring in gravel. Besides my loader bucket, what implement is going to be best to finish this project? I'm reading a lot about box blades, land planes and back blades, but I have no idea what might work best. Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
You might want to lay down a membrane like this: https://www.amazon.com/ArmorLay-Commercial-Grade-Driveway-Fabric/dp/B074MDB596
Plus you want drainage to help stabilize from freeze/thaw cycles.

Research on how to do it right for less maintenance, here is a start: Google search : building a heavy duty gravel driveway

·
Premium Member
8,713 Posts
Welcome to GTT

Reactions: 2017newfarm

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Welcome from north Alabama

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
A big welcome to the GTT forum from Pennsylvania!!

You will want a box blade to cut in and crown the drive. Landplanes are great for maintenance Of drive leveling dry dirt. Cutting sod, not so much.

if you have any wet areas get a big roll of geotek Fabric and put over the dirt before putting down the stone. If you just put stone down you will drive it right through soft soil when it is wet and have a mess.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,340 Posts
Welcome to GTT

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Welcome from mid Michigan

·
Registered
233 Posts
Welcome to the addiction, and add another the Michigan count! Someone at our state's dearleship's marketing departments must be doing good work!

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
Welcome from another hoosier in Michiana. Congratulations on the 4 acre farmette and the ever so capable 1025R. I just box graded about 900 feet of gravel drive at my old home that I will be selling soon. I had a real nice Frontier land plane a few years ago and it did a fantastic job but was too big for my tractor then.

·
Premium Member
9,193 Posts
Also south west Michigan, welcome!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Welcome from Central Ohio

My implements of choice would be a box blade and a tooth bar for your bucket.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Welcome to Gtt from another Michigander

·
Premium Member
1,239 Posts
Welcome from NW SD.

rob